Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A 90's S&W 586, your thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master

I have a newer Hillary hole 586 I picked up some time ago that is a joy to shoot (after it went back for light primer strikes) and I still regret getting rid of a 686 no dash with 8" barrel. Nice shooting indeed!

Banned
    Petander - You have a winner ! That gun is a keeper.

As for the accuracy potential of the 38 Special - That cartridge really is "Special" and there's a reason that it has been with us for over 100 years.

Boolit Master
    I made some food for the 586 with my old Lee 158 6-holer. Some seams etc,it has made over 50 k bullets , most of which I used with 9mm sub loads.

I do have an excuse for a nice heavy NOE or Mihec mold now... or maybe Accurate,have none yet... once you start spoiling yourself with custom molds,well,you know...

You might consider taking a look at 1 of the mp 359-640 molds. They have the high/low crimp groove in them.
    [IMG][/IMG]

When loading 38spl's for a newer (3 year old) 686 with the hillery hole and mim parts, I seat the bullets in in the bottom crimp groove.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I don't shoot at distances anymore but shooting shotgun shells @ 50ft can be entertaining. Same rules/setup as bowling pins, just shotgun shells instead of pins & 50ft instead of 25ft.

Actually 1 of these days I'm going to have to break down and do some real testing looking for an accurate load. Those loads pictured above were the 1st set of test loads I tested when I 1st got the nib686. There was a clays load testing that day also, it sucked have 6-shot groups that could be covered with a nickel.

586's/686's will flat out shoot.

Boolit Master

I came into my 586 in '92 where I swapped a Model 10 2" and $200 for a 6" Smith 586. I still have it. I had the action and trigger worked over and it is a truly very accurate shooter. My wife loved it so much that I bought another. This one sported a 8 3/8 " barrel and I slapped a red dot sight on it. The jury is still out as I have yet to shoot it. Time to go to the range.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    You might consider taking a look at 1 of the mp 359-640 molds. They have the high/low crimp groove in them.
    Dang this is a really nice idea,thank you.

Having the 38 option is surprisingly nice,I never fired 38's in a 357 before. It's like having another caliber in between 22LR and 357. The easiest "conversion kit" ever.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought a 6 inch 686 no dash back in th early 80's. They were recalled due to primer flow back. Went back to S&W but still would lock up due to this. Also, would spit lead. Moved it soon after although it was an accurate revlover. I then wen't through several 686 no dash, dash 1 and 2's with similar problems. Then discovered the dash 3 and 4's. These six guns are magical. I tell any one looking for a 357 DA to not think of passing one by. I have had a couple of Ruger GP-100 and as a good revolver they do not match the S&W 686 dash 3 or 4. Just my opinion. Ruger should just stick to SA revolvers that I dearly love.
    Last edited by Art in Colorado; 11-06-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've been eyeballing a very nice condition 6" 586-1 with no "M" -stamp.

But well,I didn't do my alloy math properly and ended up with BHN 10 boolits. EDIT no it's only BHN 8 !!! I tried them anyway to really push Hi Tek coating. Got some lead in the forcing cone, nowhere else. I used very fast VV N320 powder,a medium load (for that powder). Broke my chrono battery wire (gotta love those 9V clips!) so no velocity data today.

This is after four full cylinders. I was hitting a 6" 25 m plate normally all the time. These 358 boolits can be pushed through the cylinders:

I might try these heat treated... But I also mixed some 40 lbs proper BHN 15 (hopefully) today for correct boolits.
    Last edited by Petander; 10-31-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Petander, that is a great looking range set up you have. Is it at your home?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Petander, that is a great looking range set up you have. Is it at your home?
    Not at home but very close. Pics of two places in this thread,one range is a five minute drive,another takes 15 minutes. And there's one more,again 15 minutes... all these are only 100 meters but I consider this almost a luxury these days.

We moved here (nowhere in the country woods) 25 years ago because of all these outdoor possibilities. I have lived in New York City and Rio De Janeiro, got my share of big cities back then.

This is not NYC:

It sure as hell isn't! I have the same deal. I moved to my place 40 yrs ago and hunted and shot with only a walk out the door but.... we were "discovered". A safe place to shoot is much appreciated and even more so when you don't have one.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Going good.

158 plain base RF sized 358,BHN 14,a generous charge of Vihtavuori N110. Hi Tek three coats. A pocketful of rounds,75 maybe.

I got another 358 sizer today and made it 359... should have stopped at 3585 now that I'm thinking.

Considering how much money we save by casting our own,isn't it funny how we keep buying "stuff" all the time?

Vendor Sponsor

There is a good bit of experience here with the S&W 586. I do not want to highjack the thread too much. Was there a problem with the early no dash 586 revolvers with primer blowback into the firing pin hole and light firing pin strikes? I see both issues mentioned in this thread.
    I have owned a little fired 586 since new in 1981 it has both these problems.... but never before this summer when I started shooting it with my son. It was a safe queen until now. Strange.
    Chill Wills

Banned
    The light firing pin strike may be an anomaly to that particular revolver.

Primers flowing into the firing pin bushing WAS a problem with the early L-frames and there was a recall. The revolvers that were returned to S&W for that recall received a "M" stamped on the frame under the yoke to designate that recall had been complied with.

Boolit Master
    I was eyeballing a 586-1 with no "M" some time ago. Overseas recalls didn't always happen. There must be a few "no-dash-no-m"s around here,too.

I really like the feel,fit & function here. And throat size.

Boolit Master
    As I recall that primer flow was only with 1 certain 125 gr bullet. I have a 4” 686-1 with no “M”. Since I shoot only 158’s I’ve never bothered to send it back and have experienced no problems.

Banned
    The primer flow problem was related to the firing pin bushing. I've never heard anything that relates that issue to bullet weight. I think you may be confusing the forcing cone issue on magnum K-frames and 125 grain bullets with the firing pin bushing recall on early L-frame models. Those are two different issues.

Boolit Master
    Maybe you’re right. I seem to disremember a lot of stuff here lately.

Boolit Bub
    The bluing on the older Smiths is just beautiful

Boolit Master
    I have several.The 686 N0 dash 6 inch was my fist hangun bot it new in 1983.i reclla i payed $300 for it.Then came the 586-3 8 3/8 inch.found the sales slipe foprmit a while back was $355 in september of 1990. the 586 ha s allways been a much better shooter between the 2.Lately i got a 586 no dash 6 inch it shoot just as well as the 8 inch.great shooters in the 586s i neve vever owned another 686 so can compir there.Prices for revolers is realy hi here so dont knw if ill spring for another or not