RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cast 12 guage, 1 oz slugs.

Boolit Mold

Cast 12 guage, 1 oz slugs.

So I've recently been casting 1 oz slugs using the lee mold. When reloading these slugs, I've noticed a slight bulge where the slug sits in the haul. IAm I using Remington hauls. Am infusing the wrong size mold or too small a haul? I cant figure this out. Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Thank you.
    Justin.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee slugs tend to cast too large, and Remington tapered hulls are about the tightest fitting hulls there are.

Boolit Master

I used Winchester AA and didn't seem to have a problem...

I shot a good many, but finally gave up on them--recoil was very noticeable!

I suppose they might be good for up close usage. They sure made a gallon jug full of water go all directions with a good center hit...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master

Do they drop in and out easy, of whatever gun you are going to shoot them in?

Boolit Mold
    It's a mossberg 500

Boolit Master
    Jjmwandell, Welcome to the forum! Sometimes you'll get a mix of components that will bulge your hull like that. Bottom line is, if it freely enters and falls out of the chamber, it's probably safe to fire. C'mon over to the "Casting For Shotguns" section and check out the posts there, lotsa' stuff to learn there!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Yes welcome to the forum.
    What Centershot stated is what I was getting at.
    Grab a cup of coffee, sit at the computer and start enjoying this site!

Banner Sponsor

Welcome to the forum, Castboolits is a great place with friendly people and a wealth of info on a wide range of subjects.
    What wad are you using? I had problems until I found the WinAA wads that were in the load data. I've been using BlueDot loads from the Lee sheet that came with the mold. I'm shooting mine in a repro 1887 with good results.

Pure lead should be use. Alloys containing antimony will cast larger diameter , key drive slugs.

I loaded 2 3/4 WW AA using Lee 1 oz data. No bulge. After the first firing, the hulls remained expanded. When reloaded, accuracy was a little better.

Accuracy was good using my Mossberg 12 ga , scoped cantileve barrel. But when a petal is cut and lost from the wad on firing. That 1 round will open the groups. My average , including the flyier was 7" @ 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    243winxb,
    That's pretty good at 100 yds. from a Lee slug, Congrats!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown