Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MCD Products

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new and getting back into reloading...41 mag

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    BLUE DOT in a 10 GA. ITHACA MAG 10.. Oh the old days of LEAD and no fake poisoned ducks. I have NEVER found any because of lead. ONLY LEADS POISONED FROM BEING SHOT AND CRIPPED...!
    I believe many more waterfowl are wounded and lost due to steel shot’s inferiority than died from ingesting lead. It’s the “climate change” equivalent of the hunting world IMO.
    Thread drift over, sorry.

Boolit Master
    Just killed a depredation muley doe with a OM 41 shorty using 8 grs of Unique & a 213 gr HP at 88 yds.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Making the 270gr j bullets is fairly simple. I fully anneal 40 S&W cases by putting them in a casting pot in the wood stove for a 1/2 hr or so. Then run them through a 410 sizer. Next Push them into a bottle neck sizer die, I use 308 win, till you get the mouth pushed over to what you want. Drive them out with a punch. I had to make a couple of simple tools. First a punch that fits the top of your ram that is long enough to push the case in your bottleneck die as far as you need. It is also used for pushing the case through the sizer die. You need a small piece of flat steel plate to set on top of your ram ( 3/4" square, thickness doesn't matter much). And last a piece of 7/8 14 thread rod flat on one end. You could use a pistol seating die installed upside down if it is flat on the end of the adjuster bolt.

Once you have the cases annealed and the necks turned in (leave a 3/8" hole or bigger in the case mouth) heat a batch of lead and put a bunch of prepped cases on the rim of your lead pot to heat.
    Install the flat plate on top of your press ram and put the thread rod in the press flat side down.
    Now your ready. With pliers, grab a hot case and fill it with lead a bit over full and quickly set it on the flat plate and raise it to flatten the nose against the thread rod. You could adjust the weight by making the nose hole larger or smaller or by trimming the cases before forming the nose.
    You can make 35cal bullets using 223 cases and a 22jet sizer die for the neck as well. With a bit of thinking, I'm sure other possibilities exist.
    I'm too frugal to buy real swaging dies as I don't shoot enough for them to pay for there cost.
    This wasn't my idea. I got it from another forum member here several years back.
    I got my blue dot load data from Cartridges of the world which showed 17gr as max but cases were sticky so I backed down to 16.5 and still a bit tight removing fired cases. At 16gr they push out easily. Still wouldn't use these in a S&W as they are HOT. The original 210 police loads compared to these are about like comparing 38spl to 357mag.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 09-29-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: blue dot

Thanks, I’ll have to try that. .40 S&W brass is almost free. I did something similar once with 9mm cases in .40S&W but it wasn’t a sucess.

Boolit Master
    hot diggity dog / you are my hero, git em/ good on you

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Just killed a depredation muley doe with a OM 41 shorty using 8 grs of Unique & a 213 gr HP at 88 yds.

Dick
    Very nice!!!

Boolit Master
    ...welcome to The Cult....

You probably missed this thread...it has lots of good posts and links to everything .41....you can gladly post all your .41 stuff over there..

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center

As to Unique, it and H110 for full loads is about all one needs. From a 4" barrel Unique will run 200-230 grain bullets:

8.0 950+-
    9.0 1100+-
    10.0 1180+-

Use a heavy crimp to get good burning of all the powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pighunter View Post
    Very nice!!!
    ...here is Dick's deer story...

http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...-yds-41-shorty

Boolit Bub
    The .41 is my favorite Revolver, (followed closely by .45 AR). I have. S&W Model 57 and 58. The 8 3/8” Model 57 iron sights has taken quite a few Wyoming Mule Deer. The bullet is an older SSK 275-295 grains using either H-4227 or WW 680. For general fun I have an original H&G KT 220-grain 4-cavity mood that likes 4227. The same bullet is used in the Model 58 with 231 or 4756 (now discontinued). Since WST is working good in the Model 25 (.45 AR), I plan to try it in the Model 58.

At one time the Model 57 was used with the H&G and 7.0-grains of Bullseye. But over the years I’ve used quite a range of powders over the years and various bullets (sold off most the molds).
    Keep coming back to the H&G and 4227.

Tom

Boolit Bub
    Went to the range yesterday, I brought my Ruger "Bisley" 7.5" barrel and my old SS model 57 6" I have a 2x scope on the Ruger but yesterday I shot it with open sites. I shot quite a few different loads, I think I'm going to make up some lighter loads that are more pleasant to shoot. The 57 feels so much better in my hand than the ruger, I'm actually thinking about selling the Ruger. I had about 75 rounds of once fired Starline brass, everyone of them were very tight fitting. I'm not sure why but the other brands of brass went in and out of the cylinders with ease.

Boolit Master
    Rather than take a chance with Blue Dot I use HS6. I like Unique for medium plinkers. HS6 for upper medium field loads. 2400 next up the ladder and H110 for the very top.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”