Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 155 gr bullets for my .30 Carbine Blackhawk

155 gr bullets for my .30 Carbine Blackhawk

I’ve been developing a load for my .30 Carbine Blackhawk using 155 gr bullets. Charges between 9-10 gr of H110 produce a very comfortable round and consistent load.

I was inspired by Paco’s Long Range Load For the .30 Carbine Blackhawk.

I’m looking for a heavy, slow(er) load better suited to a handgun.

I took my 155 gr Linotype loads to my range and got this at 20 yards (see attached).

No sign of keyholes which is always good.

RCBS Rifle .30 Caliber (.309") 150 Gr. Flat Nose, Gas Check 2-Cavity Bullet Mould
    Item #: RC82019 | Manufacturer: RCBS

Suggestions for improvement ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C9C37847-1DA8-4EDF-9EAE-743D4431F872.jpeg  

I am concerned about the Blackhawk’s twist rate: 1:20.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Maybe no keyholes, but accuracy for 20 yards sure doesn't look very good.

This 100-yd. group with my Blackhawk using Accurate 31-100T and 7.4 grains AutoComp

Attachment 248767Attachment 248770

And this is LC44 military ball ammo, also at 100 yards, the Blackhawk is more accurate than by USGI 1944 Inland M1 carbine.

Attachment 248768
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

No optics?

At 100 yards I couldn’t see that plate as anything but a distant orange dot.

You were using 110 gr rounds ?

Boolit Grand Master

I've loaded up to 13 grains h110 with a 148 grain in 327 federal. If you don't want the velocity, I'd have to think you are borderline with a 1:20 twist. My 327s are all 1:16 twist and best accuracy with the 148 grain is around 1200-1250 fps.

Is this a scoped handgun? My eyes bug out on busy targets like that and open sights. A single black dot works best for me with a 6 o'clock hold.

Quote Originally Posted by jski View Post
    No optics?

At 100 yards I couldn’t see that plate as anything but a distant orange dot.

You were using 110 gr rounds ?
    No optics. New lens implant after cataract surgery with Merit adjustable iris over shooting glasses, supported on sandbags. 12-inch gong holding center of mass for the GI ball and full-sized steel Army "E" target for the cast, framing the shoulders with the front sight. Accurate 31-100T cast from wheelweights +2% tin about 105 grains, sized .311", gives 1530 fps from 7-1/2" barrel with 7.4 grains of AutoComp. I use the same bullet and load in my 1953 Polish TT33 pistol in 7.62x25mm.

40 years ago when Uncle Sam bought my ammo I used to shoot High Master, but now at age 71 as a retiree I am classed Expert. I do OK for a Senior Citizen. There are others nearby here in my age bracket who regularly outshoot me, but they are all retired MTU or law enforcement instructors.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-23-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a .30 Carbine Blackhawk 30 years ago. Don't recall why I let it go. I do recall this; forget carbine, remember revolver ( in terms of bullet fit, etc) and go about loading as if it were a .32-20.
    I never loaded bullets heavier than 120gr but mine shot boolits into groups similar to those with ball ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Had a .30 Carbine Blackhawk 30 years ago. Don't recall why I let it go. I do recall this; forget carbine, remember revolver ( in terms of bullet fit, etc) and go about loading as if it were a .32-20.
    I never loaded bullets heavier than 120gr but mine shot boolits into groups similar to those with ball ammo.
    ^^^THIS^^^ My Ruger load is like a hot .32-20 load for the '92 Winchester. My 1972 revolver has .3105" cylinder throats and I size bullets to .311 for it and my Inland M1 carbine. The AutoComp load functions the carbine reliably at about 1700 fps and piles the brass at your feet so that you don't have to chase it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.