WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Not sure how this applies, but any way new vise stand.

Boolit Buddy

Not sure how this applies, but any way new vise stand.

My wifes uncle and I built this today. I asked my tire dealer if he had an old rim I could buy and he gave me this 16" split rim. I went to the junk dealer in town and for 10 dollars I got the metal you can see and a flat bar that runs along the bottom, form rim to rim, you can't see. Not pretty, but a nice stand alone vise stand for 10 bucks.

I still need to get the bolts to attach it to the plate at the top, but basically complete.

This weekend we will build the all steel table for my first lathe. It will go in the corner, in the picture, behind the vise. I will add pictures when it is ready. It has to be built in a way that will allow it to go down in pieces becuase of the small door at the bottom of the stairs.

Then I can get started and learn how to use my lathe with milling machine attachement to alter/make a mould.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Boolit Master

I think you will be disapointed with a milling attachment to do any serious milling to make the required work needed to make cutters for mold making.Good luck.

Banned

Nice stand 45. I need to whip up a few of those for various purposes. Just never got to it as yet, but it's on the list.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Dress it up at the bottom with a hubcap you can find one free beside most roads also if its a dome type it keep the trash from building up in the rim. Hmmm may not work good with a spilt 16 inch rim cut it off and get a rim to fit the first hubcap you find lol nice job.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, guys. We had one in the machine shop I worked in and it was really handy. I like the hub cap idea, I'll put that into my 'things to find' mental folder.

Delta, I'll take your word for it, you probably know a lot more about it than I do. My enthusiasm far exceeds my experience as yet.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Boolit Master
    I like it! Simple and cheap. I used to make all kinds of bases out of old brake rotors.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

Fill the gulleys with lead.

Boolit Buddy

I'd like to fill a dirt bank full of lead, its been awhile. I was suprised, that ole' split rim is really heavy and provides a great base. The one at the machine shop I worked at used a steel truck rim, 24.5", with a much larger vise. With 100+ pound projects it was very stable, as long as you didn't get to far away from center.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Boolit Buddy

Allright, PatMarlin you hit it on the head with that fill the gulleys with lead idea. That will work and is needed in certain situations I didn't anticipate, many thanks.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

I have used old discs off the farm implement for the same type of bases.They are lighter and work well for welding jigs,stock rollers etc. My grinder uses a 16.5 split rim and a piece of well casing.
    45&3030, I would use concrete on that vice stand. Filler up and still be easy to tip and roll around. Also save that lead for better uses
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Buddy

shooter575, good idea, that would save a lot of lead. Thanks.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Fill the gulleys with lead.
    Negative- Use concrete. Leads better used for boolits!

I have a couple set ups like that. You can also do the same thing for a reloading press, very handy. I have to make one to mount my shotgun loaders on. I have one in the garage with a blacksmiths post vise mounted on it, very, very handy.

Boolit Buddy

The more I use it the more I realize how indespensible it is. I think I need another one for my grinder/buffer!
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

I filled mine with concrete also. It is a great stand. Roll it where ever you want.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.