Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beautiful mold, terrible boolits

Boolit Bub
    First off, I do not have a brass mold and based on your experience with this subject mold I do not want one. I am an old guy and I do not handle frustration with the grace and calm as I did when I was younger.
    I fully realize that 99.989% of the respondents are being helpful with great and positive advice, I don’t think that I could back-up and start over with this mold.
    I am sorry that you are having this problem. I can understand your frustration. Rots a ruck.
    Follow Me

Boolit Grand Master

I hope you can get your new mold to work for you. They have a great reputation and make a nice looking mold. All of my molds are steel, or iron, except for one aluminum one. So, I can't offer any helpful advice except to wish you Luck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Attachment 247207

I did some casting yesterday. Brass IS a PITA. Yea, it will cast well after you scrub it was detergent, heat cycle it a half dozen times on an electric range top, then get the alloy super hot, throw about 100 duds...yea, you'll get keepers then. Even then that brass sticks bad to the bullet...worse than any mold I have ever had seasoned or brand new.

Just for comparison I got out two iron molds and an aluminum mold. Threw keepers with both iron molds after two or three throws. Threw that little Lee bullet on the first toss--which produced six.

It is interesting to note how different they look. The lee bullet has the look of frosting--too hot of alloy.

AFAIC brass it a totally inferior material for molds. If I get another hollopoint mold it will be a conversion of an iron mold. Brass isn't better than iron at anything; it does appear more durable than aluminum, at least the aluminum that Lee uses. I get scratches on the side of an aluminum mold after one session from rubbing against the pot support. This brass mold didn't get scratches, only slight abrasions. Iron doesn't suffer this issue at all. Iron doesn't rust if you take the time to wrap it in a two cent piece of VCI paper when you're done-that complaint can be disposed of.

I am very complimentary of the design and workmanship of Miha's mold.
    Maybe it's Karma?

I can put one of my brass molds on the hot plate while the alloy melts in the pot. Once the alloy is melted I can pick the brass mold up and cast keepers from the start.

None of my brass molds are any stickier than my iron molds. My worst mold for stickiness is an aluminum mold from NOE.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I collect scrap brass molds that don't cast well, MPs, Eagans, Accurates, mail them to me and I'll dispose of them, I'll even send you some Lee molds if that's YOUR PREFERENCE.