MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: thompson center cherokee

Boolit Master

thompson center cherokee

Have a lock on this .45 caliber rifle that will not stay at full cock, can't see anything wrong with the lock, so asking for those who may have dealt with this issue. Doesn't matter if it is in the rifle or not. Yes I put it together from parts on the internet to end up with a complete rifle everything seems to fit right.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Try prussion blue on lock install and take it out see if its hitting wood ,if so you need to trim/remove the wood that"s interfering with your lock .Don"t count on parts fitting as intended , they could need fitting ! Ed

Boolit Master

edward I thought of that but it doesn't work when it is not in the rifle so I am thinking something else is not right, thanks for the idea
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Bub
    Spring or tumbler bad? Not sure.
    Lmk if you need/want a new lock...

Boolit Master

MarkX
    the spring looks good have not taken lock apart yet but just might need new lock, dang it
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    If the Cherokee has double set triggers check the adjustment screw and make sure it isn't over adjusted. I did that once on my Hawken, and could almost look at it really hard and it would snap.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    Have a lock on this .45 caliber rifle that will not stay at full cock, can't see anything wrong with the lock, so asking for those who may have dealt with this issue. Doesn't matter if it is in the rifle or not. Yes I put it together from parts on the internet to end up with a complete rifle everything seems to fit right.
    T/C locks that will not stay cocked --out of the rifle ---usually need a New-- Sear-- the little tip that fits in to the half and full cock notches in the tumbler breaks off , just pull the bridle ( cover plate ) off and look. On the Cherokee I think you can see the end of the sear with out removing the Bridle, also there is a spring loaded plunger that is supposed to push down on the sear so it rides on the tumbler make sure it is not sticking.
    Last edited by frogleg; 07-11-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Mold
    i bought a senaca like that, turned out just adjust the trigger to a heavier spot still works fine after 10 yrs ,,wade

Boolit Master

Well I have purchased a new tumbler didn't look any different than the one in the lock. So now I have ordered a new sear I think that is what it is called as the one in the lock seems short and really shinny.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

It was the sear that was broke, sad thing seller claimed the lock was in good shape. Maybe the seller didn't know a good lock from one that needed some help, no matter I got things working and that is all I cared. thanks to all that offered things to look at.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Bub
    Glad you got it figured out!

Boolit Master

Well I learned about how the locks on the Seneca and Cherokee and most likely Hawken, big boar and Renegade work. The real challenge right now and most likely the future is finding parts.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran