Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauser to 308?

Mauser to 308?

I have a 1916 Spanish Mauser that was converted to 308 in the 50's.

Anyone out there with the same rifle or a similar rifle?

Do you have any feed issues, as in trouble feeding from the magazine?

Thanks in advance for any real world replies.

Boolit Master

I have one. I don't have any issues with mine whatsoever. The load I use in mine is as follows: LC milspec case, CCI200 primer, 16.0 gr. 2400 over a Lee C312-155-2R sized .310" (water dropped) seated to 2.725".
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    I have one. I don't have any issues with mine whatsoever. The load I use in mine is as follows: LC milspec case, CCI200 primer, 16.0 gr. 2400 over a Lee C312-155-2R sized .310" (water dropped) seated to 2.725".
    Mac60- thanks! I am seating to 2.75 17 gr. 2400, C312-185, hard cast, sized .312. Seating is not a problem, the problem is the cartridges leaving the magazine at an extreme angle and hanging up on the sides of the chamber instead of feeding straight into the chamber.

I am using once-fired commercial FC brass.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1916 also, in .308
    It too had similar feeding issues, until I changed out the magazine follower.
    I don't think the old 7MM follower are the same as the .308 follower.
    The .308 case is just a little wider at the front, and can cause the case to rise up a bit when being pushed forward.
    The follower I have in there now is also cut a little shorter than the follower on a 7mm that I had for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The .308 case is just a little wider at the front, and can cause the case to rise up a bit when being pushed forward.
    The follower I have in there now is also cut a little shorter than the follower on a 7mm that I had for a while.
    Thank you LAGS. The source for the good follower? I like this rifle and wanted a 308 military rifle specifically for cast boolit loads. So yours feed well now? no issues? That is the only Wart keeping me from enjoying this rifle. It appears to be extremely accurate, like boolits on top of each other at 100 yards.

Boolit Master

Ok LAGS you may be onto something there. He definitely has a problem related to the spring or follower.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    My rifle feeds well now.
    But it only has problems when you try and feed it slow.
    I got my Follower out at a gun show, but I bet you can find one at Gun parts Corp.
    A friend modified a follower from a Yugo 24/47 for his rifle, and it worked fine.
    But his bolt does not stay open after the last shot.
    Not a problem, just a matter if preference.

Just another Tid Bit of info.
    I once read in "Gunsmith Kinks 2 " ( I think it was) that a follower from a Springfield 1903 will fit right in a small ring Mauser with no issues.
    So you have plenty of options.
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-14-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    I need to make a correction to my last post.
    The Extractor on a Springfield 1903 is what will Fit on the Small Ring Mauser.
    I was in Error about it being the magazine follower.
    It still might fit, but since I no longer have a 1903, I can not tell for sure.

I need to make a correction to my last post.
    The Extractor on a Springfield 1903 is what will Fit on the Small Ring Mauser.
    I was in Error about it being the magazine follower.
    It still might fit, but since I no longer have a 1903, I can not tell for sure.
    thanks you may have just saved me a heap of trouble.

Boolit Master
    That Yugo Mauser Follower worked out fine.
    I am trying to Post a picture of it, but I am having problems with my Camera and computer.
    I did the modifications to make that follower fit for my friend, and it just happens , the rifle is stored at my house right now.
    But First thing you can try before you buy a new Follower is to try Stretching out your Magazine spring.
    That solves a problem on most Mausers.

Boolit Bub
    I had mine out a couple weeks ago. So far I've had the best results with Berry plated 150g FP's over 16g of 2400. They feed fine from the magazine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1090.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Mauser feed problems typically arise from the interior dimensions of the magazine box. The dimension of the shoulder of the “modern” cartridge that you are trying to fit into a magazine box designed to feed an older, slimmer cartridge like the 7x57 is the issue. The box is too narrow to properly feed the newer (relatively) straight walled case. Ackley “improved” cases are especially troublesome. It is best to widen the box in the area of the shoulder of the new cartridge. Modifications to the follower are helpful but won’t entirely alleviate the problem. Mauser had a formula for calculating the dimensions of a magazine box using the dimensions at the base and shoulder of the cartridge.

I used to own a copy of this book but no longer. It contains a discussion of magazine boxes and the formula.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mauser-Bolt-R...s=books&sr=1-4
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 07-19-2019 at 11:20 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    I've been hankering for a really heavy barreled mauser with a 24" no taper barrel. have a 1919a4 mg barrel so whack off 2" to eliminate the threads and old chamber which leave 22" which should do well. And the funny part of this is that I have 3 heavy barreled 308's. 40x stainless steel with laminate stock, Rem 700 Sendero with composite stock and my Savage 110FP with the crappy rynite stock. The Savage outshoots the other two. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1916 Spanish action and a takeoff Rem 700 .30-06 barrel. Put them together with a .308 chamber?
    I only shoot cast.

Boolit Master
    I took a second 1916 that I had in .308 that had Headspace issues and a Bad barrel.
    I took a Small ring barrel off a Turk 38 in 8mm and matched it up to the receiver of the 1916.
    It made a good cast Load Shooter, and fed fine.
    I did have to take out the Magazine Filler Spacer for the longer Cartridge 8mm.
    I didn't need anther Safe Queen, so I gave it to a friend to play with since he was a cast boolit shooter.

Hey Mahk...

Just save yourself a heap of trouble and send that Mauser to me and stick with your Krags.

Isaac
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Quote Originally Posted by TankerDon View Post
    I had mine out a couple weeks ago. So far I've had the best results with Berry plated 150g FP's over 16g of 2400. They feed fine from the magazine.
    Were did you find the scope mount base, looks great?

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    I have a 1916 Spanish action and a takeoff Rem 700 .30-06 barrel. Put them together with a .308 chamber?
    I only shoot cast.
    I would combine them for a nice light shorter. If the lug seats are ok I wouldn’t worry a minute about factory level .308 loads in the 1916. Turkey converted scads of 1893 7.65 Mausers to 8x57mm- no slouch pressure wise.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPowderLove View Post
    Hey Mahk...

Just save yourself a heap of trouble and send that Mauser to me and stick with your Krags.

Isaac
    Very interesting choice of words, Isaac. Interesting that you should call me by me real name... I'll say thanks. And you know my love for Krags as well. What you really want is the doglock I am selling.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Were did you find the scope mount base, looks great?
    That's an S&K mount.
    http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

I had it out yesterday checking out the CE Harris load of this 165g LFP over 16g of 2400. They ran right at 1500fps. My buddy's '03 will group this bullet, but my Mauser sure won't. It likes the Berry 150g plated.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/20...lead-flat-nose
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1123.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast