Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD Products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Manuals

Boolit Master

Reloading Manuals

I have the Reloaders Reference program and several older manuals (such as Metallic Cartridge Reloading, Pet Loads, both Lee's, and some bullet makers manuals (Nosler, Sierra, etc.). The problem is that they're all out of date to a greater or lesser degree.

If you were going to buy three new manuals to use in addition to Reloaders Reference, which would you get to cover all metallic reloading using today's powders for both cast and condums? If you could only have one which would it be? Hate to spend the money but I'm realizing that my books are mostly outdated.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Moderator Emeritus
    The latest:

Lyman

Hodgdon

Speer

Hornady

Only one then the Lyman.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I'd vote Lyman too. Plus Lyman has load data for all of their booilt moulds.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Moderator Emeritus

Dromia hit it on the head. I would swap the last two depending on who's bullets you shoot more of.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I'd go
    Lyman
    Hogdon
    Lee

Plus you can go online and find a lot of data at the powder mfg. webpage
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Today's "conventional wisdom" says the powder companies have changed their burn rates over the years. Also that we can get better info from the makers of our bullets or our powders. And that lawyers specifiy more conservative loads today. I say, balooney, or at least something close to that.

Powder is organic chemistry. The makers have never been able to exactly duplicate any two consecutive lots of powder but it's not from a lack of trying. They specify, for themselves, just how much latitude in burn rate any lot can have and still qualify as "cannister powder" to be used for retail sales. Fact is, even that effort has never been more than partially successful so it's understandable that the various loading maual maker's results are somewhat different, even between editions by the same maker.

The manual makers also use different firearms than ours. It is only a happy accident if our weapons actually give the same results as theirs! Their barrels burn out too. They can't even be expected to duplicate the same data with changing barrels so data differences aren't due to lawyers at all. I don't believe any manual makers would bother to provide less than the very best data they can, no matter what powder or bullets were made by the parent company. Saying differently makes no more sense than the common idea that a firearm or ammo maker will deliberately provide inferior products to Walmart and that's just not true. After all it's THE MAKER'S NAME on the items, and their reputation on the line! Ditto any manual maker. Sure, they will feature their own product line, but they aren't likely to publish erroneous data on competitors products! That practice would only end up biting them in their own butts.

I buy new loding manuals for one reason; to get data on NEW cartridges and powders. Not for"changed" old powders or even new bullets. I follow the addage of "starting low...", etc, etc, and find that path accomidates ANY component differences quite well.

Lyman is always my choice of new books because they give the widest range of data.
    Last edited by 1hole; 01-14-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Lyman, Speer, Lee. In that order of course.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold

Out of date vs old

some may not agree with me but old info is good if you are using old bullets,powder and chamberings.
    My manuals are Hornady, lyman, nosler and speer. Listed in order of use.
    I check all before working up a load. I bought Nosler when I shot Nosler bullets.

Manuals are only starting points anyway.
    41 magnum
    Icore Life Member
    NRA Benefactor member

Boolit Master

Lyman IS no 1 dont get a bullet or powder company one, they will not give recipes for other companys. Lee is ok but Lyman is 100% better

Boolit Master

my manuals are Lyman, Speer and Sierra,,,old Ideal and very old Lyman....I have found that even my 1960's vintage Speer manuals still work just fine....the old Ideal and Lyman manuals are for cast.....
    I think several manuals (so you can compare) are much better than just one...
    my vote
    Lyman
    Speer
    Sierra

Boolit Master
    buy a program......quickload....

they load a ton of data, lots of variable. tuneable powder....me thinks one could add a mil surplus powder if you knew how it compared to known data.

everyones bullets, lots of cast, you can add case data from your lots of brass.

yes you have to pay for updates, but its cheaper than the next reloading manual...

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

Talking

One thing I have learned is do not get rid of your old loading manuals. Years ago I was not interested in the 38-55 and the newer manuals did not have loading data for it, and when it became more popular like in cowboy action shooting it was nice to know that I had the old manuals to research the data for my 1885 in 38-55 especially the old cast boolit manuals by Lyman and the mould numbers. I have one of the group buy moulds like 359430 coming I will be able to look up loads for this 200 grain boolit for my Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 38 spl with some luck.

Moderator Emeritus

Accurate manuals give cast loads also.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Thank you, one and all. I'll put the new Lyman manual on my next order.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range

How about the "wouldn't buy" category?! First one I wouldn't buy is "Any Shot You Want" from A-Square I believe. Complete waste of money.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have mixed feelings about the Lee, an interesting read but a very specific almost personal approach which doesn't quite sit right with me in a general book.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I'd also buy a bunch of older Lyman/Ideal manuals..... the reloading data may be dated, but the other information in them is timeless. And they still are cheap.

Is the Lyman pistol manual worth having, or does the standard reloading manual cover this? I have neither yet and plan to get one.

Boolit Buddy

I'm a sucker for manuals. I buy most of them. I will admit I tend to use Lyman's as the go to manual. I found that doing some comparison between the manuals should open ones eyes. May loads listed as Max in one manual is somewhere near starting in others. I find that Lyman's manual is not as conservative as others. That being said I also am a start low and work up reloader. Having an accumulation of older manuals , as Doc Highwall says, good resource for cartridges that fall from grace and now you own a firearm in one of those calibers.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

dromia I bought a pair of Lees I thought Herters was out of business till I looked Lees