Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Finally got to the range with my Henry 357 mag

Finally got to the range with my Henry 357 mag

After a long time of waiting for the rains to end and then heal up from my sprained ankle, I finally made it to the range with my Henry Big Boy Steel in 357 mag.
    I found earlier that I simply cannot see iron sight well enough to shoot group any more, so now it wears a scope. Nothing special thers, just a cheap Tasco 3-9x.
    The scope mounting hardware Henry sell for these rifles works a treat.

I started at 25 yards on a sght in target and the first shot hit 6 inches low but perfect left and right. After two quick adjustments, I was centered about 1 inch high at 25 yards.
    I was very pleased. 3 shots for a sight in is much better than I usually do.

I ran a few different cast loads through it with no success. Groups were poor at best.
    I moved to the 50 yard berm and shot several different jacketed loads through it. All grouped well. About 1.5 inches for 5 shots. New Federals and my reloads all did about the same.
    I put nearly 40 rounds through it and then went down to change targets and let the rifle cool.

Then I decided to try some 158 grain RNFP Lee boolits I had made up for my revolver. These were the ticket. 2 inch groups right on POA at 50 yards I ended up putting about 25 of those through the rifle. All good.
    I don't know if it was just the boolit or the rifling needing broken in, but those loads were quite acceptable.
    Looks like I have a shooter.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    taxman - thanks for the write up! I purchased a BB steel 20" rifle in 3357 like yours a few weeks ago - haven't had the opportunity to get it out to try it yet due to Dr. appts.

Like you, I don't care for the "stock sights" - maybe younger folks can use them just fine but I know just by trying them that they aren't going to work. I bought a receiver mounted Skinner peep and installed it but now have to get it out and figure out if the front sight needs to be changed or not - and I'm guessing it will have to be.

I chose the same Lee boolit you talk of - my dummy rounds in both 38 spl and 357 casings seem to cycle like butter. I bought about a K of 1 X fired 357 casings to use in the rifle though and will try to come up with a load that works good in both the rifle and my Uberti .357 Bisley

With your Lee 158 RNFP cast, what are you running as a charge if you don't mind my asking? From my reading - and mind you, not by my experience - I keep hearing that the 158 grain boolit out of these is the ticket. I'll try some of the Lee 125 grain RNFP as well though as a comparison.

Glad your Henry is shooting so well. I'm very pleased with the quality, fit and finish of the one I got and hope it shoots as well as it looks. Enjoy!

Boolit Master
    I have that same rifle. Took it out a few days ago and ran 100 rounds of .38s through it. From 80 yards, wife and I hit the targets most of the time. Some of those targets are small, the front sight of the rifle almost obscures them, but we were hitting them anyway. Most of the time.

Nothing against the gun, I think they're nice. LGS had one the diamond in the rear sight insert wasn't in the middle. That I thought was poor on their part. But I don't care for buckhorn style sights anyway.

Boolit Master
    I have the ruger 77/357. It likes the lee 158 grain boolit as well. I have no problem getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards. It too is scoped. Glad to hear that boolit works in your henry as well.

Bedbugbilly----- I am using 14.2 grains of IMR4227. I have not chronographed it yet.
    Very soft shooting load. Sized .358 and either tumble lubed or NRA50-50. No leading so far.

Boolit Buddy
    Put Skinner peep sight on my 41 Henry and it made a world of difference. I get the urge ocassionally to try a scope on it but then after every range session I come away happy with it and the Skinner sights as is.