MidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: cast for .357 SIG

Boolit Master
    Here is a post on some range time with a chrono and the .357 SIG yesterday. .357 mag velocities are easily achieved with cast bullets, along with good accuracy. My powder charges were under starting weight for jacketed, and my OAL was the same or longer. This round is just inherently hot, and as such should be treated with respect and care. Here are a couple chrono shots, along with the target and the barrel after about 25 rounds. the groups were by no means amazing but were serviceable. I was surprised at how fast the pills were moving. Barrel was basically clean after, a couple passes with a bronze brush and done.

Bullets are NOE 357-135 RF (gas check)and Lee 356-120 TC (plain base). Loads were 7.7 grains 800x (NOE) and 9.0 grains Blue Dot (Lee). For reference, I also shot and chronoed one round of factory SIG Sauer 125 gr. FMJ, which also clocked in at over 1400 fps, though box rated at 1355. As far as I know my Chrony is dead on. NOE bullets were bhn 8-9, and would no doubt pass an expansion test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2071.jpg   IMG_2070.jpg   IMG_2048.jpg   IMG_2055.jpg   IMG_2051.jpg  

IMG_2052.jpg  
    Last edited by Boolseye; 06-05-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Resurrecting the thread. Just found a M&P 357c recently, picked up some Starline brass and have run some Lee 356-120-TC through it sized .357 with #2 lube. At present using a load of 7.2 grains Power Pistol which is doing about 1060fps over the chrony and has been dead on shooting at steel at 25 yards. The bullets are 50/50 pb/coww with a little tin. Leaving a little antimony wash that brushes out with a couple passes of a bronze brush after 50 rounds.

Decided to order some of Smokes Traffic Purple PC and coated some of the bullets and pushed them through a Lee .358 sizer. I haven’t loaded them up yet but will them will start bumping up the charge. Upgraded to an Apex competition trigger kit and tried that out todsy, very nice.

Will post more as it develops.

I've been loading .357 sig with the Accurate 35-125YG. Gas checked and under a solid AA #7 load. They're going around 1400 fps and are super accurate - even to 100 yards from a Glock 35 with a 357 sig drop in KKM barrel.

I love this load, but 357 sig is kind of a pain to load for so I tend to just load 40 S&W... But it is a pleasure to shoot - I shoot it mainly at the indoor steel matches so I can get my brass back.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Haha. Yea loosin brass is the only reason I dont choose the lil sig round!!

Its more accurate in my findings. I have a couple KKM Barrels for this round. I bought a G24 and installed a KKM barrel before I ever even shot it in 40! MAN WHAT A SHOOTER!! I have out shot guys tuning up there deer guns in the fall!!

My first was a no name barrel I picked up on the bargain shelf up at Kittery trading post in Maine on VK some years back. It was for a G27 and I had brought a G27 with me. The rest is history!

I use the LEE 125RF too. Works perfect for me sized 356. Power Pistol and #7 are the powders I use mostly. I dont push it real hard w cast but some serious number have been hit from that G24! I wont even post them.

Glock buldge is a seriously OVER-REPORTED issue. I have shot some very very heavy loads and never seen one in any factory or aft mkt bbl.

It was a issue on first gen Glocks in 40 and FIXED! Let it die...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot 171 grain projectiles in mine.

Very accurate out of a 2011 handgun.

I just use 40 cal brass necked down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    Resurrecting the thread. Just found a M&P 357c recently, picked up some Starline brass and have run some Lee 356-120-TC through it sized .357 with #2 lube. At present using a load of 7.2 grains Power Pistol which is doing about 1060fps over the chrony and has been dead on shooting at steel at 25 yards. The bullets are 50/50 pb/coww with a little tin. Leaving a little antimony wash that brushes out with a couple passes of a bronze brush after 50 rounds.

Decided to order some of Smokes Traffic Purple PC and coated some of the bullets and pushed them through a Lee .358 sizer. I haven’t loaded them up yet but will them will start bumping up the charge. Upgraded to an Apex competition trigger kit and tried that out todsy, very nice.

Will post more as it develops.
    I bought a used M&P 357 that was probably a police trade-in. I like it so much I hesitate to shoot it a lot for fear it will break, although I suppose if I wear out the frame I can just buy a 40 and move the barrel over. I’ve been shooting a NOE 130 grain SWC in 357 Sig recently and it’s about my favorite cast bullet in that caliber because it has long parallel sides that give good neck tension.

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    I shoot 171 grain projectiles in mine.

Very accurate out of a 2011 handgun.

I just use 40 cal brass necked down.

When I tried that I ended up with really short necks and had problems with neck tension, although with really heavy bullets they are probably already sitting on the powder charge.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98180748-3921-41D9-9971-1B4142040A1D.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	244515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90A4F920-96E0-49EA-A908-2900FDB19639.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	244516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1AB349BC-9A2B-4577-B3B9-B51F4C556A76.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	244517I have a 130 Lyman TC & a 147 TC BB bullet that might work well too! I just remembered it.

Here is the LEE358-125RC. My Lyman 130 TC and the 147 Lyman TC BB

Boolit Master

I ordered an NOE 358-124-TC recently, already have it heat cycled and ready to cast with. It holds more lube than the Lee 356-120-TC, and will be slightly bigger so it should do better in the 9mm and 357 Sig. The the only issue i see with the Lee bullet at present is not quite enough lube. Will run some tests with that new bullet, both PC’d and lubed in the standard manner without PC and report back. Plan to push it harder. Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98180748-3921-41D9-9971-1B4142040A1D.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	244515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90A4F920-96E0-49EA-A908-2900FDB19639.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	244516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1AB349BC-9A2B-4577-B3B9-B51F4C556A76.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	244517I have a 130 Lyman TC & a 147 TC BB bullet that might work well too! I just remembered it.

Here is the LEE358-125RC. My Lyman 130 TC and the 147 Lyman TC BB
    You got the golden boolit!!!
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I fail to see the logic here. The 357 Sig was meant to be a hot rod load and yet now that you have it you want to dial it down and shoot lead. This makes no sense to me but then again I don't own a 357 Sig. The 357 Sig was meant ot be a very fast good hitting round. If you want to shoot lead why not invest in a different caliber?
    I am in the same boat, same with 10mm shooters. If you want to shoot low end 9mm vel, shoot a 9mm. It will be more efficient & easier to load for. When I take the 357sig out to practice I want full power or near that in my loads. I am sure it is possible with PC coated lead.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Haha. Yea loosin brass is the only reason I dont choose the lil sig round!!
    CW
    Once fired 357sig brass is available @ a reasonable cost, so don't let that stop you shooting it.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Our steel matches are 300 round plus. Anything that huts the ground belocgs to the range.

Do that 3-4 times a month and it makes a large dent in anyones brass supply.

Shooting 40 (or 9) one will never ever run out. I have 4-5 five gallon pails full
    Of mixed 9/40 and at least as many sorted and cleaned. In that I MIGHT find a box of sigs per bucket...

CW

Boolit Mold
    Our steel matches are 300 round plus. Anything that huts the ground belocgs to the range.

Do that 3-4 times a month and it makes a large dent in anyones brass supply.

Shooting 40 (or 9) one will never ever run out. I have 4-5 five gallon pails full
    Of mixed 9/40 and at least as many sorted and cleaned. In that I MIGHT find a box of sigs per bucket...

CW
    I'd pass on shooting 357 sig there too. I hate leaving any less common brass on the ground. My Glock launches 357 cases into low Earth orbit so it's challenging to collect all of them on a good day.

Boolit Master
    I fail to see the logic here. The 357 Sig was meant to be a hot rod load and yet now that you have it you want to dial it down and shoot lead. This makes no sense to me but then again I don't own a 357 Sig. The 357 Sig was meant ot be a very fast good hitting round. If you want to shoot lead why not invest in a different caliber?
    because some people like different calibers

Boolit Bub
    First, Second what Beef 15 said about the expander &seperate crimping die.the powders in the above posts are dead on in my experience. Good advice, and as for for pure speed you might try the Lee 105grain swc .358 mold with #aa9 or longshot powders, I am sure there are others but these are the only ones I have tried. The 357 sig is one if not my favorite round, I am considering finding someone cut me a357 cylinder for my 357 blackhawk. anyone have a suggestion on who would do this?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    because some people like different calibers
    Your comment makes no sense. The 357 Sig a necked down high speed round has a purpose and that was supposed to be an accurate fast round that hits with authority. In order to shoot cast your going to slow it down to about 1000fps or possibly depending on the allow and hardness and use of a gas check possibly as high has 1300+. Shooting plated bullets still would restrict the velocity of the round due to restrictions on speed of the plated bullet over a jacketed round. Yes, you could shoot the 357 round with cast but why bother when you could simply pick up a 9mm and do the same with less hassle and better accuracy.

Boolit Master

Your comment makes no sense. The 357 Sig a necked down high speed round has a purpose and that was supposed to be an accurate fast round that hits with authority. In order to shoot cast your going to slow it down to about 1000fps or possibly depending on the allow and hardness and use of a gas check possibly as high has 1300+. Shooting plated bullets still would restrict the velocity of the round due to restrictions on speed of the plated bullet over a jacketed round. Yes, you could shoot the 357 round with cast but why bother when you could simply pick up a 9mm and do the same with less hassle and better accuracy.
    It makes sense that he shoots what caliber he wants with the ammo that he wants! You shouldn't even be commenting about this cartridge since you don't own one but you still give your advice. Have you ever shot a cast bullet out of a rifle cartridge? Not if you live by the comment that you espouse above.

Four years later and still steps in to take a dump on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga
    The 357 Sig was meant ot be a very fast good hitting round. If you want to shoot lead why not invest in a different caliber?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338
    If you want to shoot low end 9mm vel, shoot a 9mm.
    If I want to load 900fps cast 357SIG, I don't see anything stopping me. You think I'm ever going to get 1400fps out of a 9mm pistol safely? Some of you curmudgeons should go crawl back to whatever rock you came out from under.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe I missed it, but what is stopping you from shooting a cast bullet a 1300+ fps from a 357 SIG?