Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seller need to know their merchandise

Boolit Master

I'm in the process of returning my 3rd mismarked/mislabeled RUGER. 22LR Cylinder.
    It was actually another .22 MAGNUM CYLINDER.

IS EVERYBODY ON FLEABAY, STUPID OR JUST LAZY ?

About 12yrs ago I bought an old Ruger 3-Screw Single-Six in .22LR, or so l was led to believe. Sales guy popped the Cylinder out and showed me a .22Mag wouldn't fit. It was a fluted cylinder without serial numbers. And the Revolver was only marked; Ruger. 22CAL, so it went home with me. Cleaed it and shot it a few weeks later. Imagine my surprise when the .22LR cases feel out split all the way to the rim.
    Took it back the next day with the split cases.
    Was told all sales were final, I answered I was defrauded. Was told to look at the Revolver and Reciept. Both said .22CAL. Period.
    They would send it back to RUGER FOR me to have a .22LR Cylinder fitted, just pay Them $150.00

I've tried to find one on fleabay.

Dumb idiots don't bother to check, or lie or are just plain stupid and lazy.
    One guy insisted it had to be .22LR because it was fluted. Magnum Cylinders are all unfluted. Tried to explain RUGER sold both .22LR Revolvers and .22Mag Revolvers separately in the Old Model. And both Cylinders were fluted. He called me a Liar. I sent back his cylinder with an empty .22Mag case. He claimed I cheated him. I answered that if only .22LR cylinders were fluted, how was did "Excellent Condition" Cylinder accept .22Mag cases.
    Fleabay believed me, I got my full refund.

Wish the .22WRF Cartridge would fire in the gun, I've got 200 rds and no gun to shoot in it.

Some folks just won't believe the truth if you beat them with it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    To me, the oddballs, crackpots, blowhards and know-it-alls are just a cherished part of the Gun Show entertainment experience.

A friend and I would go in for a table once in a while, and he would put his 1921 Thompson on the table as a display, to attract potential customers for the Stuff we were trying to unload. One of the steady attractees looked like the cartoonist R. Crumb; 98 lbs soaking wet and coke-bottle hornrims. But he always carried a year’s worth of Soldier of Fortune magazines under his arm, and from the way he talked, he’d just come back from Katanga Province to spend his Krugerrands on R&R. Never had quite enough left to afford a Thompson for himself, but the next Mission would do it for sure.

This went on for a couple years, then he disappeared. There used to be tables where you could buy washers, screens and sockets. Then on the next table, you could buy tubes and end caps. If you bought from both tables and put it all together, it was an unregistered Silencer, which would attract the ATF. He’d reportedly done so; I prefer to believe he’s living in a Compound in the mountains in Cameroon, and the tribes he liberated (single-handedly, of course) worship him as a God.

Then there was ol’ Half-Moon Dave, who always had a lot of Cool Stuff on his table. If you looked at it too long without pulling out a wad of bills, (about 70 seconds, IIRC), he would give you the “Go ‘way, boy; ya bother me” routine. Didn’t stop me from buying a couple things from him that (unaccountably) were marked down into “my” price range.

“It’s Business, Sonny; not Personal,” as I recall my Consiglieri saying.

Some of those people I regard as Collector’s Items in a different venue than strictly guns&gun stuff. The guy who had a Ruger No. 3 in .30-40 Krag whose stock had been Bubbafied to where it actually looked worse than the factory stock; a noteworthy achievement. He had also, for unknown reasons, sawed the curlicue off the end of the lever.

I thought maybe this thoroughly ruined specimen might serve as the beginning of a decent project, if I could get it for what it was worth. When I asked the price, I was quoted a figure that was between the upper limit on a No. 3 and the lower limit on a No. 1.

I asked him why it was going for so much, and he told me it was a rare factory variant. “It’s a Ruger No. 2,” he said, solemnly, one “advanced collector” to another.

I thanked him and found myself grinning and smirking for the rest of the day. Definitely worth the price of admission.
    I thought I was the only one that had adventures at those shoes. I learn something new everyday on here. I love reading all of these too!

Not all experiences are bad. My first gun I bought myself. A Winchester 1886 in 40-82 made in 1888-1889. Button mag, octagon barrel. A pretty rare variant.

I went to the local gun store in between classes in college 4 years ago. I asked to see used lever guns and that one was laying on the floor. I asked to see it. So he handed it over. I didnt know much about these rifles back then so I asked how much. He said " man my employee paid way to much for it, its 300$. Its a project gun, its old and rusty. Should be fun getting it running."
    We later settled for 275$ if I remember correctly.

The rifle has a few pits and surface rust.

I went to a good gunsmith a year later after shooting it myself to see if everything was still in good shape on the inside. Turns out the owner's son was there that collects Winchesters. He flew out from behind the counter when he saw the rifle.

he asked what I wanted, so I said a good cleaning and inspection. He didnt hesitate to say right away. "If you want to sell it, before cleaning, in this condition, i'd give you 3000$ right now."

Needless to say, its my favorite gun! I shoot it all the time. I also love the story I got with it!

PS: I still go back to the shop. They know me now. I think the owner realized what he sold me years ago!

never trust a Cliff Claven when we all carry Google in your pocket.

more then once I have pulled out my cellphone and double checked a fact. or ran a process check on gun broker.

man sometimes they get pissed. others the fix it on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Banned

As soon as the guy said I couldn't look at it, I'd have walked without saying another word.

I do remember the occasional gun show vendor being condescending to ne when I was young. A lot of older people do. But I don't remember too many. By and large, I have found gun show types to be good people. I like gun shows and try to get to as many as I can, especially the small town ones around here where folks seem a lot more interested in socializing than selling stuff. More interesting stuff too. No dealers with tables of new auto pistols and black rifles, good old stuff.

When I was newly away from home and away from Dad, one of my favorite haunts around Fort Bliss was Starkey's Gun Shop out in north east El Paso, I doubt it's still there, been about 30 years. They had a lot of old guns and a big corner with old reloading and bullet casting stuff strewn around. I used to go in there a lot and paw through things. Mr. Starkey was always real nice to me and spoke to me about guns like I was an adult who knew about them, which I was, but most wouldn't have thought so. I actually learned a lot in that place from a few old timers. Places like that are getting few and far between.

Funny, gun shows are one of the few places where I still seem to be in the low end of the age range (I'm 53). A couple of years ago, when I was getting into cast in .22 Hornet. An older gentleman, well into his '70s was talking with a friend, not real interested in selling the stuff on his table it seemed, when I stopped to look very closely at a pristine Winchester 43 he had. He paused from his conversation and asked "you know what you're looking at (I don't think he said "sonny" but it certainly came through)?" I immediately replied with "yes, it's a Winchester Model 43. Is it a .22 Hornet or a .218 Bee"? He looked genuinely surprised and then slowly smiled and we talked quite a while about cast loads in the Hornet and how I should go about it, he even told me that if I was looking for a serious shooter, I'd be better served with a CZ 527. Good experience all around, but I suspect if I hadn't established that I was knowledgeable right away, the attitudes would have been different.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Good experience all around, but I suspect if I hadn't established that I was knowledgeable right away, the attitudes would have been different.
    I find it a crying shame that things are like that. I understand there's a lot of stupid out there, but it sure makes it hard for us younger gun guys when people automatically assume we don't know a muzzle from a butt. It almost makes it to where you don't even want to talk to anyone.

Boolit Master

Manners in America are on the wane. There is too much callousness that has been achieved through the BOOB TUBE. Folks are not as friendly anymore...at least not in big cities and urbanized areas.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I'm in the process of returning my 3rd mismarked/mislabeled RUGER. 22LR Cylinder.
    It was actually another .22 MAGNUM CYLINDER.

IS EVERYBODY ON FLEABAY, STUPID OR JUST LAZY ?

About 12yrs ago I bought an old Ruger 3-Screw Single-Six in .22LR, or so l was led to believe. Sales guy popped the Cylinder out and showed me a .22Mag wouldn't fit. It was a fluted cylinder without serial numbers. And the Revolver was only marked; Ruger. 22CAL, so it went home with me. Cleaed it and shot it a few weeks later. Imagine my surprise when the .22LR cases feel out split all the way to the rim.
    Took it back the next day with the split cases.
    Was told all sales were final, I answered I was defrauded. Was told to look at the Revolver and Reciept. Both said .22CAL. Period.
    They would send it back to RUGER FOR me to have a .22LR Cylinder fitted, just pay Them $150.00

I've tried to find one on fleabay.

Dumb idiots don't bother to check, or lie or are just plain stupid and lazy.
    One guy insisted it had to be .22LR because it was fluted. Magnum Cylinders are all unfluted. Tried to explain RUGER sold both .22LR Revolvers and .22Mag Revolvers separately in the Old Model. And both Cylinders were fluted. He called me a Liar. I sent back his cylinder with an empty .22Mag case. He claimed I cheated him. I answered that if only .22LR cylinders were fluted, how was did "Excellent Condition" Cylinder accept .22Mag cases.
    Fleabay believed me, I got my full refund.

Wish the .22WRF Cartridge would fire in the gun, I've got 200 rds and no gun to shoot in it.

Some folks just won't believe the truth if you beat them with it.
    walks, I bought a stainless Single Six in 1972. It had two cylinders, one in 22 mag with unfluted cylinder and a 22 LR with flutes. many years later I bought another Single Six and I just realized a few weeks ago it came with two 22 LR cylinders. I bought it from a friends estate. Apparently he never noticed. His wife told me she had bought it for him as a gift. I doubt he ever shot it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    walks, I bought a stainless Single Six in 1972. It had two cylinders, one in 22 mag with unfluted cylinder and a 22 LR with flutes. many years later I bought another Single Six and I just realized a few weeks ago it came with two 22 LR cylinders. I bought it from a friends estate. Apparently he never noticed. His wife told me she had bought it for him as a gift. I doubt he ever shot it.
    Sounds like you guys might want to consider a trade...

Boolit Master
    Classic reasons why gun shows are becoming less and less popular. Most of the conversations seem to center around "mine is bigger than yours" with an extra heaping of testerone tossed it to make it even more stimulating.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    I, too, have a Model 14 Remington in 30 Rem caliber. It was my grandfather's, and I'm now 72yrs old so you can get a feel for what has happened with the the caliber. You have to be real careful when ordering 30Rem ammo since NOW, in their infinite wisdom, have created a NEW 30Rem (AR) to fit the black gun platform. Sales, don't you know...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123