Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    @ Themoose
    Don't worry about the wood grain transferring onto your Puck with the thin Plastic.
    The plastic is working as a Gasket and sealing stuff off.
    But the GOO means you have too much Moisture.
    Cut back on the water, or Screen the mixture before you press the pucks.

Boolit Master
    @ Dirty Kurty
    I love you Scientific approach.
    But don't do it to the extent that it takes the FUN out of what you are doing.
    I tried to build a better Mouse Tap several times, and it didn't work.
    It is ok to test different methods, but don't take it to the extreme's.
    Like Fly says, " If it isn't Broke, why Fix it."

Boolit Master
    I am in Denver and it is a bit dry here. I use a mister and ad a little at a time. I mix well between sprays. When I can press it against the side of the mixing bowl and it forms and holds together it is ready. I use 90% alcohol only because they dry a little faster. I try to keep the pucks 1/4 to 3/8 thick. I break them up with a tile nipper. Don't like to see seepage. Means good stuff is leeching out.

I am using a Fly Die.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Bub
    Making my own powder is just the icing on the cake.
    It is better to have the knowledge and ability, then to sit around and rely on other people to provide you with what you need at a higher cost.

And this Forum has made it possible to talk and interact with people that have the same frame of mind towards keeping a part of history alive for future generations.
    You cant know where you are going, If you don't know where you came from.[/QUOTE]
    Well said LAGS..

Boolit Master
    Adding too much water is a rookie mistake on my first batch... it was also raining all day, I should have considered that too.. I'm an old coot and once a much younger manager who worked for me asked me how I knew so much... my reply was simple... I made a lot of mistakes...I don't want to make mistakes and take those experiences as learning opportunities... I didn't have a lot of seepage, but it was indeed there... pucks don't appear spotted and I remixed green powder before pressing each puck... next time I hope to do better... milling more KNO3 today and will begin to weigh out components in batch size packs... then I can get more production... It was important for me to get the first batch under my belt.. Thanks again who freely shared their experiences...it is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Themoose; 06-22-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: missing word
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    A little water seeping out below the die is not much of a concern. It happens to me at times. One key is when you mist the meal
    be sure to mix the water into the meal real good. Drying is simple. The sun works better than any thing during the summer. I have
    one of those Ramco plastic beef jerky dehydrator's that works great. Another thing that works well is a crock pot, (leave the lid off).

Anything with low heat & NO FLAME). Just some thoughts. Crock pots are a dime a dozen a thrift stores, cheap. Heck there cheap at
    Wal Mart, under $20.
    Fly

Boolit Master
    I just made a decision. I will use the hydraulic meter on my press only as an indication of more pressure rather than a true measure of compression. Then I will increase pressure until The bp can be grained to 3fg. It may vary from area to area because of humidity.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    I just made a decision. I will use the hydraulic meter on my press only as an indication of more pressure rather than a true measure of compression. Then I will increase pressure until The bp can be grained to 3fg. It may vary from area to area because of humidity.
    What is your method of reducing the size to gain fffg. Do you happen to know the hole diameters in your screens? If you were going for FFg. How would you cut/grind/crush your pucks?

Boolit Master
    The puck is dried and broken into chunks and then run through a centered Hario coffee grinder. The screens are wire cloth from Mcmaster. The first screen is 30, the lower screen is 50. So far it is all powder falling through the 50 screen.

Boolit Bub
    Alder Buckthorn is a succes. Not realy any more fouling. Blew patches away. 100 grains FFg. 7 shot average 2042 fps. Oh yeah Texan..I live 1/2 hour away from McMaster Carr.. Their bulding is at least a 1/4 mile long.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190622_194711(1).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	244002 I am not worried about my powder skills so much as finding a way to get more 2f out of my pucks. Next week..The PuckBuster 2020..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Kurty View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190622_194711(1).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	244002 I am not worried about my powder skills so much as finding a way to get more 2f out of my pucks. Next week..The PuckBuster 2020..
    every time you put it through any kind of busting up process you generate some fines - no way outta that - its what happens - keep the overprocessing to a minimum by screening it every chance - after you break the pucks and before grinding - so you not putting anything through the grinder that is already broken small enough - set yr coffee mill up too coarse - shoot FFFg - get a flinter - that uses some of the fine stuff in the pan

Boolit Master
    I have not had a problem getting the granulation closer to the size I want and reducing the Fine powder by setting the grinder at very Corse.
    After it has gone thru the grinder ONCE, then I screen it.
    What stays on the 20 gets run thru the grinder again with out any grinder adjustment.
    Then I screen it again.
    And once again, I screen it thru a 20 mesh and catch the bigger chunks.
    Anything that has gone thru the 20 mesh gets screened and separated.
    There is No way to get your grinder to Grind at a single consistent size in one Grinding.
    Plus before you adjust your grinder, check it for build up on the stones.
    Keep those stones Clean.
    It is more work to grind the mix several times at a Corse setting, but it is worth it.

Boolit Master
    Yep what they said.
    Fly

Boolit Bub
    Puck Buster coming soon to a Flea Market near you...Just kidding. it is almost finished.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Let’s see this Buster!!! Unfinished work is fine with me...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Bub
    Cant get picture to load..

Boolit Buddy
    Have we all been sleeping for the last month? One of if not the largest thread [139 pages in 8 years] or has every thing been asked and answered? Ive reread it and the only reason ive not tried my first batch is I need to make some charcoal and we have a burn ban in effect. Any way hope all are doing ok at this indeaver.
    Shaune509

USMC 77, USRA 79

i am still waiting to see the Puck Buster!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

If Dirty Kurty Is reluctant to share his, I have a set of plans to the one I built. Not so easy to build but effective.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program