MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vibratory tumblers from Harbour Freight.

Boolit Buddy

I own the HF "Central Machinery" 5 LB model. Picked it up at an in store sale for 50% off. It was been running flawlessly for over five years. For polishing/cleaning media I use Zilla ground walnut reptile bedding from Petco. Just used it last weekend to clean .223 Rem brass.

/2 cents
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    + on the Lizard Litter for cleaning media.

Did some checking and I did have a Harbor Freight tumbler. It didn't last that long however. Just buy a Dillon and be done with it.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Spending more on something is no guarantee of quality. I have learned that the hard way. I have really started to read the reviews on products starting with the worst first. Its not always an indication but if numerous people keep having the same problem you might want to look out. This is not always an indication because some companies don't put up all the negative comments. But it can give one an idea. I will admit i am cheap but don't mind spending the money if it makes sence. My midway tumbler was the best i have ever seen. It lasted a good 25 or so years and you can't imagine just how i abused that machine i put as much brass as i could get into it sometimes forgot it and left it running days at a time not usually more than a week. This was not an expensive tumbler by any stretch of the imagination.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Lyman 1200 auto-flo tumbler that is over 20 years old now, and still operates flawlessly. I don't care for that auto-flo feature, which drains the bowl much too slowly for me, so I just dump media thru a strainer.
    A friend who quit reloading gave me his unused 5-lb vibratory HF tumbler, but it's still sitting in the box as a backup, just in case the old Lyman quits. I hope the HF one will work when it's needed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Spending more on something is no guarantee of quality. I have learned that the hard way. I have really started to read the reviews on products starting with the worst first. Its not always an indication but if numerous people keep having the same problem you might want to look out. This is not always an indication because some companies don't put up all the negative comments. But it can give one an idea. I will admit i am cheap but don't mind spending the money if it makes sence. My midway tumbler was the best i have ever seen. It lasted a good 25 or so years and you can't imagine just how i abused that machine i put as much brass as i could get into it sometimes forgot it and left it running days at a time not usually more than a week. This was not an expensive tumbler by any stretch of the imagination.
    Good post.
    When I don’t know or get mixed answers from people I ask I look at reviews.

Boolit Man
    I have a Lyman Turbo 1200 that has seen over 30 years of use and is still going strong.

Boolit Master
    I use a midway vibratory tumbler its lasted 10 years so I'm happy .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Don't see it? How did you use the "rock" tumbler? I bought their double and replaced the drums with pvc ones, worked good the two times I used it, then found a F.A.R.T for cheap.
    I use the rock tumbler as-is, it is the double model, but I use it for shotgun shot mostly. For that purpose it works fine.

OK, now I see a $164 dry or wet tumbler on HF website, but no other wet tumbler. I assume the OP is looking at the cheaper dry tumbler.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    When your tumbler has given up mine will either still be working or will be repaired by Dillon. Sometimes that extra money buys you piece of mind. Take Dillons reloading equipment for example. Hey maybe thats an example of where spending more is no guarantee of quality. Maybe you should ask the people here on the forum what they think of their reloading presses.

My midway tumbler lasted longer than i expected and midway would give me a new one if i paid to ship it to them ( it was recalled in the 90's but it worked so good i would not send it in. When it died i could have gotten another. I hope dillion pays to ship yours back as it ain't cheap. At what i spend on my tumblers i will die before i spend what a dillion cost and am never without one more than a day or so. I use a lee press that i bought back in early 80's and i defy anyone to show that they can load better ammo on a different press . Some may be faster some may have more leverage . But my lee single stage loads as good of ammo as any. In all honesty i would take another midway tumbler over any brand if they still made them. If you are happy with your dillion then thats great i am happy for you i don't have the money to waste. I really think this harbor freight will out last me.

Boolit Mold
    I found You have several Choices with harbor Freight Tumblers
    First Choice :Buy 2 , So you can Throw them both out.
    Second Choice : Buy 1 Then Don't Use It.
    Third Choice : Don't Buy one @ all
    Fourth Choice: spend the extra money and buy a better Brand

Now thats pretty good. I like it. But i am very happy with my harbor freight tumbler i feel if i had put a simple lock washer on it from the start i wouldn't have had any problems. I am one that thinks that the 5 pound weight limit is just a suggestion. I tumble my cast bullets in it . I guarantee that a 4x4x3 box of cast bullets is over five pounds by a good bit.

Boolit Buddy

I have owned a Thumler's tumbler for over 30 years and it is still going strong. I have had to replace the drive belt (less than 5 bucks) a few times. If it quits tomorrow, I have certainly gotten my money's worth. Don't go cheap, buy something substantial, you won't regret it.

I am glad your is going strong but my cheap one lasted like that.

I have been running a Frankford Arsenal unit to clean my brass for about 3years now with no problems. So no complaint there.

Previously I had a Lyman 1200 that I used for over 10yrs until I donated it to my dad to use when he started reloading.

I also have 2 of the harbor freight rock tumblers and one is actually used to tumble rocks. The other unit is a backup for when the first one fails. The one that gets run probably has about 100hrs of run time on it and the only issue I had was the rollers started squeaking and needed a little grease.

I dont tumble rocks very often so the harbor freight unit fit the bill for that application. I would not want to use one of the HF tumblers as my primary for tumbling my brass just because the brass tumbler gets a lot more hours of use and I wouldnt trust the HF unit.

Just stay away from a HF angle grinder (I believe it was a Chicago Electric brand). I forgot to bring my grinder to a job once and picked up a cheap one to use for the day at HF. After about an hour of use it burst into flames.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skrapyard628 View Post
    I have been running a Frankford Arsenal unit to clean my brass for about 3years now with no problems. So no complaint there.

Previously I had a Lyman 1200 that I used for over 10yrs until I donated it to my dad to use when he started reloading.

I also have 2 of the harbor freight rock tumblers and one is actually used to tumble rocks. The other unit is a backup for when the first one fails. The one that gets run probably has about 100hrs of run time on it and the only issue I had was the rollers started squeaking and needed a little grease.

I dont tumble rocks very often so the harbor freight unit fit the bill for that application. I would not want to use one of the HF tumblers as my primary for tumbling my brass just because the brass tumbler gets a lot more hours of use and I wouldnt trust the HF unit.

Just stay away from a HF angle grinder (I believe it was a Chicago Electric brand). I forgot to bring my grinder to a job once and picked up a cheap one to use for the day at HF. After about an hour of use it burst into flames.
    Ha, that was my very first electric purchase at HF. I needed to cut a chain at my hunting property, didn't want to drag my generator and my truck won't run my Dewalt. That little angle grinder is now my go to, even at the house, and it's almost 7 years old. Granted, I don't run it like my Dewalt since the motor doesn't have the torque, but it is great for small jobs.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I feel that its possible to get a very bad or a very good one no matter what the brand is so i say again spending more is no guarantee of getting a good one. In some cases the components are the same made in same plant.