MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quick question for Rough Rider owners

Boolit Master

Thank you. Apparently that’s standard for the design. It seems to work fine as long as you cock it with authority. Now that I know that’s how it’s supposed to be I won’t let it bother me.

To be honest I probably won’t shoot it that much, now that I have the Ruger.

Boolit Master

You're welcome. Ok then, mine behaves just like your's. I bought the thing on a whim - just to see what all the hoopla was about. I haven't done anything with it yet - it'll hit a soda can at about 20' or so. The first Wrangler I see for sale will come home with me. Can't have too many .22's right?
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

The first Wrangler I see for sale will come home with me. Can't have too many .22's right?
    I sure seem to be accumulating them myself! I know some folks look down their nose at the little .22, and I know lots of guys can load .38s and whatnot for the same cost, but sometimes an afternoon of shooting .22s is just plain fun!

Here's a photo of something that surprised me a little when I got this gun back. As you can see, the face of the cylinder rides directly on the breach end of the barrel. The front bearing surface isn't even touching the frame. This is just so wrong...Attachment 243009

I'm not going to bother asking Heritage about it. I have a couple cylinder bearing shims that should tighten it up nicely. I'm finding that the usual rules for revolvers don't apply to these guns.
    Last edited by fatelk; 06-05-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Even the loathed RG single action .22 was better & the FIE Buffalo Scout l had was Much better than my HRR. Just sayin'.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I sure seem to be accumulating them myself! I know some folks look down their nose at the little .22, and I know lots of guys can load .38s and whatnot for the same cost, but sometimes an afternoon of shooting .22s is just plain fun!

Here's a photo of something that surprised me a little when I got this gun back. As you can see, the face of the cylinder rides directly on the breach end of the barrel. The front bearing surface isn't even touching the frame. This is just so wrong...Attachment 243009

I'm not going to bother asking Heritage about it. I have a couple cylinder bearing shims that should tighten it up nicely. I'm finding that the usual rules for revolvers don't apply to these guns.
    Well, it IS called the "Rough" Rider. Seriously, I feel your frustration. The first thing Taurus should have done after they took over should have been to tighten up a little.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

I’m with you on the 22s lots of fun.
    When you get that cylinder shimmed it may help the timing a bit to if the hand is turning the cylinder and not pushing it forward into the barrel.

Boolit Master

I put two .004" shims in front of the cylinder, tightened it up very well. I just got back from the range and it shot very well. I guess I won't hate it now, so long as it doesn't fall apart again. I posted targets on the Ruger Wrangler thread in the rimfire section.

Boolit Master

Looking at those targets, the RR did every bit as well as any of the others and better than most. Like I said, after they replaced the bad barrel on mine, it shot very well. I don't see any sign of key-holing from yours now. Mine doesn't either now.

Boolit Master
    I put two .004" shims in front of the cylinder, tightened it up very well. I just got back from the range and it shot very well. I guess I won't hate it now, so long as it doesn't fall apart again. I posted targets on the Ruger Wrangler thread in the rimfire section.
    Good job ! Glad you got it going.
    I gotta confess every time I read your post on the repaired RR I can’t help but laugh when I read
    “ just so wrong “ you are so right. Hard to believe they returned it like that.

Boolit Master

Yea, that one surprised me more than anything else. I just couldn't believe that they consider it normal and acceptable for the cylinder face to ride on the barrel like that. I just happened to have some cylinder bearing shims and they fit OK. The only thing I could think of was to super-glue them to the frame, but super-glue doesn't hold up to well in that kind of application. I know they'll fall out the next time I remove the cylinder to clean the barrel. It's not that bad of a workaround for a cheap gun that shoots well. I'm curious as to how it's going to hold up long term.

The odd thing is that the magnum cylinder has a ten thousandths shorter front bearing than the standard cylinder, so I'd need to use a couple more bearings to effectively use it. Not that I ever see myself using it much, at all. For me, .22 mag doesn't seem terribly useful. If I want a more powerful gun than .22lr, I already have plenty to choose from. As to cost, I can load .44 mag cheaper than buying .22 mag. I'm sure it's a useful round to some, but it's just not terribly practical for me.

Added: no, no sign of key-holing at all, so far!
    Last edited by fatelk; 06-07-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Boolit Master

Happy to hear you got it sorted.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Mold
    Huh a friends rough rider doesn't have that much cylinder rattle. His is pretty **** accurate for a $130 gun, 2" groups at 15 yards with cheap bulk 22lr. I was pretty surprised when I got to handle it for the first time, it was better than I expected aside from the grips being huge.