Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Hornady Quick Trickler

Moderator Emeritus

Hornady Quick Trickler

With a very few surplus (Fed) tax dollars in my hand, I splurged and bought myself a Hornady 0505010 Lock-N-Load Quick Trickle, and I -- with no reservations -- rate it as "an eleven on the ten scale"! For me, in my fifty or so years of loading, I have never had the "WOW! -- I wish I'd have had this!!" as much as from this product! It surely gives a great new pleasure to adding powder almost by the kernel!
    Why my post here? As a rough guide to us all, many a post have appeared re the stellar-plus customer service of RCBS; and similar of Dillon. Frankly, I have not read much re Hornady.
    Well, "Jack-*** George" followed the instructions which came with the brand new unit I bought from Brownells, and in hopeful removal of their anti-rust/corrosion stuff on metal, caused some of the clear plastic tube to get surface-dissolved -- e.g., not pleasing to they eye anymore, albeit function was not compromised. My err here "ate at me" for a week or two, until I picked up 'phone and rang their customer service. A technician advised the part is but $18.33, and inquired if I wanted one; answering in the affirmative, I was transferred to a young lady who -- after I explained what I did -- suggested it may be a warranty item. I received an eMail earlier today that a replacement tube has already been posted to me from them, gratis.
    So.... I thought I'd share that Hornaday now has joined the other mentioned vendors, as a firm more than deserving of my future purchase dollars!
    Attachment 241291

Boolit Grand Master

While not as popular as some other equipment Ive always liked Hornady equipment. Years ago In an IPSIC match I won a certificate for 1/2 off Hornady equipment up to 500.00. I used it up pretty quickly LOL. Ive been happy with the products and service when needed. But then when I was shooting NRA high power rifle I used the "red Boxes" more than the "green" also.

Boolit Master
    I got one of these back around Christmas time:

I did not see the one you bought, but I would have likely just bought one like yours had I seen it.

I think the one I have now is mighty nice, but it takes battery power & I would have preferred one like you have instead.

I can always go back to using my homemade one , but it is sure nice to just press a button & have variable speeds too. I think I would have liked the one you have now though, as it looks like you control the speed yourself, rather than relying on a battery powered source.

Thanks for sharing your new trickler though! It sure looks like a treat!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

JBinMN -- I generally "never" recommend "anything" -- my dad used to profess that the reason there are 147 different brands of beer on store shelves is solely because there are 147 different groups of people, each KNOWING their choice is the one and only "best" !
    I started "trickling" with a tiny plastic spoon; graduated to the heavy metal ones with the ubiquitous tube that -- to me -- was oft' more effort and mess than the spoon; and -- regardless, was always an annoyance to my trying to get EXACT powder measured in each case. (Isn't uniformality from each to every case what it's all about?).
    As I wrote, a friend endlessly voiced kudos about this product; I had a very few dollars left after tax return return (I do not use the word "refund", as it's not that) -- and took a chance buying one.
    Not so much for powders which measure easily, but especially for those like Unique -- those little flakes which fly everywhere and stick all over the place -- the only word for using this tool is "awesome". It has two geared to each other knobs on its side -- the large knob enables powder dispensing at a high rate; then, the smaller knob makes it soooo easy to top off the load, almost one flake at a time. Fyi, I have precision Harrel measures; an RCBS (newish) LoadMaster; Redding; Ohaus; and, a Dillon on each of my 12 550b conversions. Not really inexpensive -- I paid ~$86.00 for mine -- but again, imho, more than worth every penny spent. And -- my post's impetus -- their customer service is more than delicious frosting on a great cake!
    geo

PS -- My RCBS is battery-powdered and works GREAT, as no doubt your Hornady does -- but it is, to me, as slow as molasseses . In a loading session just a few days ago, I was able to -- from empty .45LC cases -- add requisite powder in three cases during the time it took the RCBS to measure one.
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 05-09-2019 at 07:13 AM.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Jb i bought two of those couldn't send them back fast enough. For my use they were to tall and the powder bounced out of the pan. Mine were missing the rubber feet called and was told that they were willing to send feet for one ( only missing one ) but wouldn't send feet for the other ( missing 5 ) .i had to send that one in for them to see it. I told them never mind i will just send them back. Low and behold a couple months later 5 feet came. I guess i could have raised my scale but in the end i am glad they were butts about it i would have kept them even if i didn't use them. I am glad they worked for you other than height it seemed to work ok.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Depending on the powder type - Lee Perfect Powder Measure for large caiber rifle reloads -drops exact grs -within 0.2 to 0.5 and a thumb & index fingers for trickler ... Works for me over many years
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I looked at the Hornady trickler and liked what I saw, until I saw the price. Cheapest I saw was $80.00, so I guess I'll stick with my 30+ year old RCBS trickler...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

mdi -- Mine came to ~$86.00 w/ shipping -- in my post, I wrote, "Not really inexpensive -- I paid ~$86.00 for mine -- but again, imho, more than worth every penny spent." Annnd, I went for too many years using the trickler which came with my Ohaus/RCBS scales. When loading large rifle cases, imho a tenth of a grain or two or three is perhaps not that significant. I understand RCBS founder Fred Huntington never used a scale at all -- he was most adroit at swiping one of his business cards across a (Lee-type?) case. However -- and to me it's a huge "however" -- in my reloading .25ACP, .32, .380ACP, and even .38 New Police -- looking at several loading manuals, there just aren't that many tenths of a grain between starting, and maximum loads. In previous posts I whined re the not-100% repeatability of my powder measures, and for the wee calibers have added the step of weighing each charge. In my case, while most do in fact drop at my target weight, enough drop at .1 grain light, and up to .3 grains heavy -- surely have made it (imho) worth the effort. I have three or four "free sample" pieces of laminate flooring from Lowe's on my bench, to slip -- as needed -- under the Hornady measure, to adroitly permit my adding flakes to precise weight in hardly any time at all. The Quick-trickler has a long 7?8" threaded shaft for height adjustment from the shortest case to really long ones -- but, here I'm lazy, using the afore-mentioned floor samples as risers, as needed.
    In my OP I mentioned my dad's "different beer brand" saying.... so be it I guess. My new favourite brand is the Horandy -- but I haven't yet put my RCVS into storage...
    geo

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Hey if you like it thats all that matters ain't it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Hey if you like it thats all that matters ain't it.
    Exactly!

I have a spoon & a porcelain bowl, a homemade trickler made out of PVC & some hardware(nuts bolts, etc.) about 4 O-rings & a cut down arrow shaft with some black electrical tape on the nock end for grip. Both worked exceptionally fine.

I had a gift deal & decided to try the one I got. I like it a LOT.

I still have the others.

I like it, and would have preferred the one GeorgeRKahn bought & posted about, but it did not happen.

The timing was "right" for my purchase & I got a great deal...

So, I will enjoy every bit of what I do have, & not care one iota what anyone else thinks about it.

BTW - I paid $18.71 for that battery operated Hornady Trickler & shipping, as it was on sale to be discontinued by MidwayUSA. So I maybe have $30.00 in it.

I am quite satisfied, even if others are not..

I still have the order receipt in my emails, if anyone doubts me & will post a "screen shot" of it if necessary.

I do not Bull **** anyone, I have no need to do so.

"Dance with the one ya brung."
    Last edited by JBinMN; 05-11-2019 at 01:26 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    Just for the doubters...

Attachment 241467

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I to have made tricklers I had a post in Special projects o the last one from hardware store copper fittings and tubing. I really like this one but I did a couple things different from factory bought, I gave it a 1/4" and 1" finger wheels to turn it with. This makes a high speed and low speed trickle. Instead of a hole I cut a slot allowing better flow of powder. The slots location is marked on the big wheel so you know were it is. Last instead of threading the tube I used a compression spring. This forms more of an auger and drops single granules easier and a smoother flow.
    While not a expert on tricklers I have used several factory tricklers RCBS, Redding, Pact vibratory. The above is very good and allows for the wheel/tube to be rocked back and forth to drop single granules of powder easier.