RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Took my 45acp Luger out

Boolit Master

Took my 45acp Luger out

Got this 45 luger and took it out to see how it shoots.
    Target was at 25 yards off hand, had to shoot one round at a time as magazine is a modified 1911 mag, found a correct mag for it for 300 bucks. Have to bite the boolit and get one.
    Gun fits my large hands like it was made for me, recoil was a little more than my 1911s but cool factor is off the chart.
    Holes below are from a 41 byf black widow which ran flawless and a 1911 with Colt Ace conversion on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0804.jpg   IMG_0806.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Is that one of the new ones or is that one of the Martz conversions that I used to dream about? What a cool gun!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

It is Martz first working prototype from what I have been told, uncle was good friends with Martz and both were master gunsmiths.

Boolit Master

Going to the G-shows in San Jose in the '70s', was the Bill Wacker show, watched (John ??) Martz do his engraving, was a site to behold, also sold him a couple of Lugers which i'm sure got modified, he always had time to chat even though he was busy, can still see him sitting in his 'high chair' doing his work.

Boolit Grand Master
    I dearly wanted one of those, but I'd no more chance of affording one of those than buying the Eiffel Tower. Somewhere I think I still have the Gun Mag that made me drool over these. There is a company currently offering a 45 Luger for sale, but prices remain far beyond what I can reasonably afford, starting, IIRC, at 8,000.00 and going up.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by SWANEEDB View Post
    Going to the G-shows in San Jose in the '70s', was the Bill Wacker show, watched (John ??) Martz do his engraving, was a site to behold, also sold him a couple of Lugers which i'm sure got modified, he always had time to chat even though he was busy, can still see him sitting in his 'high chair' doing his work.
    This brings back memories! It was indeed John Martz. Very friendly fellow, and always had a sales sample or two to examine and drool over. He often wanted to buy my Lugers, but as I knew his method of making .45 Lugers was to cut two 9mm or .30 cal. frames in half and weld them into a wider frame to handle the ACP cartridge, I always declined. I do believe that he was truly one of the greatest custom craftsmen of his time, and as you noted, he was always friendly and had time to chat. The San Jose Gun Show of that era was one of the best.

DG

Boolit Master

I lucked out being a relative of Martz close friend, I paid a quarter of what lugerman wants for his lowest price 45.
    You should see some of the engraved Lugers and C96s uncle has, Martz made some beautiful guns. Will look for some pics I took of his engraved guns and post them in a day or two.
    Did get to shoot a few of the engraved carbines but not the gold or silver plated guns.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh my, you did indeed luck out. I'm looking forward to the pics.

Boolit Master

Here are a few more
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	240956
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0807.JPG  

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    All i can say is WOW.thats a nice collection am a bit envious.

Boolit Grand Master

Definitely a "cool factor"......!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    If I could just convince the wife to let me sell the car....