Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BEST ADVICE to a NEWBY . . . . ?

Boolit Master
    Brewer12345 hit the nail on the head regarding safety equipment. good pair of welders gloves not some el cheapo made in china ****, welders apron usually made from leather and face sheild.And definitely no darn flip flops. Wear work shoes or decent boots. Do not do any casting when tired all it takes is for your mind to wander to have it come back to bite you. Make your casting setup comfortable and could be done either standing or sitting down. Old coffee table, desk or what have you. Clean all the oil from the new mold with brake cleaner, dish water detergent or alcohol.All 3 work. Get a cheap single hot plate from wally world and use it to preheat the mold. Casting 30-40 rejects from a mold gets old quick. Adaquate ventilation either from opening doors like in your garage. Once you get good bullets coming out or your mold maintain a good casting speed. Gently close the mold blocks don't slam them closed. No need for a wood handle to open or close the sprue plate.I use the welders gloves for that. If melting down wheel weights use a gas burner and cast iron container, an old dutch oven with a lid works great. No aluminum pots cannot take the temps we use. There are themometers you can buy for taking temps of your casting alloys or get one of the infrared gizmos like the ones sold at harbor freight. And take notes and don't get discouraged. I normally size my bullets about 2-3 thousands over groove diameter. Read,read,and read some more about bullet casting, lubes,sizing or anything about casting. I see more than a few references to this website while on other forums. And first thing you should do is slug the barrel you intend to cast for and write down the numbers so you know what you are dealing with. I have a little pocket note pad and write down the numbers of the firearms I want to cast for. And clean out all the copper and powder fouling from either rifle or handgun prior to shooting cast bullets in it. Might take awhile. When I think I've got a clean barrel, run some hoppe's soaked patches and let sit for a couple days. If after you do this and get green patches repeat again until no green. Butch's Bore shine does a great job on copper and powder fouling by the way. I know it feels great when you get good groups and you can say I did this. I load cast bullets for a 1935 Finn model 27 moisin nagant rifle my estimated velocity is about 1600 feet per second. When my 72 year old eyes cooperate I get 2" groups at 100 yds. Less wear and tear on the barrel and fun to shoot. That's all I ask. Someone with better eyes may do better. And after all this scrounge all the wheel weights, lead solder (scrap yards are great for this.) you can. Yeah you are gonna get some zinc and iron wheel weights. Muratic acid is available at pool supply companies for testing for zinc weights and a good magnet for those iron ones. And don't for get the welders gloves, first thing you put on after the face sheild and the last thing you take off. Sounds like a lot to take in and it is. We've all been down this road before. I've found that the collective on this forum knowledge is freely shared so take advantage of it. And since we all have bad days if things aren't working right shut down things ask questions here and try again. Chronographs are great goodies to have and spend what you are able. Best tool for checking speeds, deviations and other stuff. Buy one when you can and when you can afford it. And don't let someone shoot through the screens when you are otherwise occupied. I had one jerk plop himself in my chair and let off a couple shots. Turns out he was a guest of another shooter. The guy he was a guest of almost lost his membership.Frank

Boolit Master
    Start now - don't put it off for years .
    Practice makes perfect so don't worry about the bad cast boolits , you can recycle them .
    Be safe !!!

JB, I find your posts helpful and informative and I thank you for your contributions! I for one always appreciate your responses on subjects, especially the detailed responses. Reloading and casting is a game of details and if one can't handle those details they should look for another hobby.

For the beginning reloader or caster. First, read all you can on the subject. Fryxells book from Ingot to Target, Lyman handbooks 46,47,49, cast bullet handbook 3,4. Many of the old Speer manuals are excellent as well. And don't let the few grumpy folks here keep you from joining and asking questions. Don't be afraid to take a step back and regroup if you start getting overwhelmed or have problems. I've nearly given it up several times. Keep at it and ask those questions and you'll get it figured out.

Best advice for newby. Read.
    Also note, casting and reloading boolits is not going to save you money. It will get you new equipment to reload and better molds. AND you will shoot a lot more boolits.
    You will not save money, but you will shoot better and more often.
    WWG1WGA

I'd say to a newb;

Find your personal balance of reading,hopefully mentorship,and...... just "doing it". Each has their pros and cons,but packaging it,should show the areas you need work on.

And for a "tip",do whatever you have to so that you can "work up" loads at the range. It really gets you going in the fast lane.

Boolit Master

JB - if one or two responses to your fact-filled posts gets under your craw, don't forget there are 100's of readers that take full measure in what it is you write without saying a word of thanks. Word - THANKS!

to the newbie:

Get the lead and the mould hot! Burn your fingers (not seriously) a time or two experimenting. some of the BEST experience is the result of BAD experience.

Read-read-read and ask questions. We ALL started at the beginning of the "Yellow Brick Road" (or maybe that is the Silver Stream Road?). In NO TIME you will no longer be the new guy...but that is entirely up to you in the beginning and your perseverance to acquire knowledge.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I would suggest reading the book "From Ingot to Target" and Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook first. Then start scrounging for lead. Then buy some basic equipment and try to make bullets.

Finding a mentor would be a good first step too!

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Buy GOOD equipment not cheap junk IMHO .

I use reloading tools every week that are older than I am (I was born in 1964). I was looking at a plastic powder funnel sitting on my bench that my dad used when I was a kid and I still use it, ditto for his reloading scale. I have a Lyman lead pot that was his, it still works but I moved up to a RCBS Promelt for larger capacity.

What I was marveling re the powder funnel is how much powder must have been poured through it. It did wear out enough that a 22 hornet case will slide clear through so I did buy another funnel just for 22 hornet . This caused me to wonder who actually made than funnel, mine is orange but looks just like this. Maybe it was sold with the Ideal 55 powder measure ? I have one of those that again is as old as I am or older and I still use it.

Went and had a look at the funnel, it is a Fitz Ammo-cone .
    Last edited by Willbird; 04-20-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    East central Minnesota. I can see Wisconsin from my house!!!
    I would recommend coming up with a good record keeping system, from the very beginning. I would make notes about each load you shoot, and keep them for each firearm.
    Before you criticize another man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away from him, . . . and you'll have his shoes.

Boolit Grand Master
    Take all advice with caution. What is perfect for me will likely not be the best for you.

Determine these factors into your questions and decisions....and make sure you know if our “experts” have the same needs as you do.

Calibers you will cast for
    Round count for each caliber
    How much space you have
    How much time you want to spend
    Your budget... Then double it.

Read...read....read

Start simple if you can... .38 Spl is ideal. But any low pressure and larger caliber will do.
    Don Verna

Finding a mentor would be great for someone getting started. I've never had one, I learned casting and loading through the reading of many books and this forum.

Banned
    You can find almost anything related to cast boolits by using the Google search box top fight of the forum.
    If you don't get the answer your looking for, rephrase the question.
    and yes, don't forget the stickies

-------- welcome to CB. If you decided to start casting to save money, forget it. You won't, you'll just shoot more.
    Casting boolits (lead bullets) properly is a science, once you know the basics, not a hard science.
    There is a lot of good information on CB. The Google search (top right of every forum page) is a gateway to all the knowledge on this forum. IF you can’t find your answer there ask the question (Please be as detailed as possible, pictures help. I would be very surprised if there wasn’t someone on this forum that could answer ANY (firearm related) question you might have)
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    1. Boolits need to be cast .0005 to .003 (normally .002) over the slugged diameter of your barrel for accuracy and to avoid leading. If the fit is wrong nothing else will work right.
    a. slugging a barrel (it is safer to use a brass rod or a steel rod with a couple of coats of tape to avoid damaging your barrel http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
    b. chamber casting https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ce....htm?lid=10614
    or pound casting http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rifle-chamber)
    2. the right alloy needs to be used for the velocity and purpose of the boolit (don’t fall into the trap of going with too hard an alloy
    Testing lead hardness with Graphite drawing/sketching pencils
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-testing-trick

To find the content/alloys in your lead you can contact BNE (a member on this site) type BNE in the search box at the top right of each forum page, go to his profile page, click on “Send Private Message” (PM) Usually You send him 1 pound of lead (he prefers pure) and a very small sample of what you want tested. He’ll test it and send you the list of the alloys and their percentages

Some alloys harden over time
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm

Lead alloy calculator (this is helpful but has some problems )
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...4&d=1341560870
    3. velocity the bullet needs to be pushed hard/fast enough to get the proper spin, have the proper velocity to accurately reach the target but not so hard as to be dangerous or strip the lead off in the grooves instead of spinning the boolit..
    The boolit needs to be the right weight for the riffling/twist rate of your barrel
    Powders range from fast to slow, you need to choose the right powder for your barrel length & application.
    Loading manuals list the best powders for certain calibers and boolit weights.
    NEVER use any posted noncommercial load data without first checking commercial load data to see if falls in the safe parameter for your firearm!! There are several firearms out there that can handle much higher pressures than others!!
    Link to free online load data
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

Optimum seating depth (still feeds and seats with the best accuracy) will vary with every gun
    I read somewhere that you can hold the boolit in the chamber so it's touching the rifling. slide the biggest rod down the barrel and mark where the end of the barrel is. If there is a big gap between the barrel and the rod, you can use a washer the fits snug around the rod to help with marking.
    remove the boolit then chamber an empty piece of brass, use the same rod and measure it again. Do the math, this is your max depth. Back it off a couple thou.
    now you have to worry about feeding.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 04-20-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Before casting that first batch of boolits, go out and invest in a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullets Handbook and read the text chapters, page by page, taking notes on anything he/she doesn't understand, then, post questions here.

Bill
    This is what I would say also that way they will know what someone on here is talking about if do not understand ask on here
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Regarding safety : protect your eyes - you won’t like being one-eyed (ask me how I know).

Regarding casting: get the mould hot - wrinkled boolits are demoralizing.

Regarding loading: get the idea of loading to jacketed velocities out of your mind. This is expert level load development when it can be done (I am speaking in terms of rifle loads, here).

Make sure the boolit is groove diameter at least. Learn to use a micrometer and stop wondering why the holes in the target are shaped funny.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

One thing that has helped me when I was having problems is to separate the casting and reloading. Get reloading down pat first, then learn to cast. For me atleast, frustrations in casting transfer over into reloading. There is nothing wrong with loading a few boxes of jacketed bullets when you start learning to reload.

If doing it to save money, give up now and don’t even start. If doing it to shoot more and play with explosives, then break out your wallet and join the fun!
    Only buy the best tools for the job, regardless of mfg or cost.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't cast bare footed .

See if you can become good friends with someone in the tire business . The father of my best friend from grade school owned a tire shop , my friend and his father ended up owning a chain of tire shops . Having an unlimited supply of free wheel weights is sweet .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

If you succeed on the first try, you did something wrong! *LOL* Casting can be a challenge and get frustrating. Take notes on what you did. DON'T give up. Show us your results and ask questions. Many times we can get a lot of info from a picture. Have fun and keep trying. Eventually things will come together. These folks have offered a lot of good advice. Make notes and do what they suggested. I've been casting for over 45 years and I still don't get it right every time. You can make small changes to accommodate YOUR firearms. We all do, but that comes with experience and load refinement. Don't expect great results right off the bat. It seldom happens that way. Trial and error are your friends. As Edison said after more than 100 failures to make a successful light bulb, he didn't fail. He merely found more than 100 ways not to make a light bulb! So study, read make notes, experiment, take pics and ask questions. We're here to help. That is my advise to you.

The tire shop thing is a bust around here. We are over 90% iron or zinc weights and it’s not worth the hassle to even try. So all these COWW and SOWW recipes are gobbledeegook to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Louisiana still has 90% lead wheel weights .
    I Save the zincers because one day someone's going to make a mould to cast zinc boolits
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"