Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellets or powder

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va

Pellets or powder

On the inline rifles do you have to use the powder pellets or can you use loose black powder. Not much of a bp shooter have a couple pistols thinking of getting a rifle.

Boolit Master
    I prefer powder in my inline .

Boolit Master
    Loose is better for two reasons: you can use exactly the amount your rifle/load likes best, and pellets can crack when being pushed down and the result is a different burn characteristic. Accuracy overall is better with loose.

Boolit Master

I use the loose powder too. I need to check my zero too. Last year the last day i discharged mine at a dead tree and missed.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Powder is always the best and if you know what your doing its just as fast if not faster than pellets. Also you don't have to worry about damaging powder.

Banned
    what inline are you shooting?

Boolit Master
    Loose, and several options for charge containers out there. They will hold bullet with sabot, powder, primer in one unit with a flip top end. Pop, pour, push, ram, seat, cap, PDQ! I usually carry four in nylon belt pouch. If your just balling you can still run some type container for individual load charges with a patch board and cap stick. And yes I have other pouches with leather fringe on them for the real stuffers, depends on the mood.

Boolit Master
    Pellets: Convenient to carry and they reload easier in the heat of the moment and will garner ball park accuracy for a least a couple shots. Although if contemplating a inline? The best sub powder? _Black Horn 209.
    A loose granular powder that measures easily and shoots accurately> shot after shot.

I don't have one yet just wondering if i had to use pellets really didn't want one if i did. So now i can start looking.

Boolit Master
    A member of the club I belong to changed from pellets to measured charges and using a slightly different charge than the fixed pellets made a significant improvement in accuracy.

The last black powder rifle i owned there were no pellets and i just wasn't sure if you had to use them or not. I have had friends tell me you had to use pellets didn't make sense to me but i didn't own one so just took there word. My brother uses pellets and saboted bullets . Cost more to shoot than my center fire rifle. I just want one for fun don't want to go broke shooting it.

Boolit Master
    If you really want cheap fun then there is not much better than patched round ball. If you can get real black then flintlock too.

One of these days I will build a long twist barrel plinking rifle. For me the 45cal has a lot of appeal but might go smaller.

Shooting heavy loads with conicals is not that cheap unless you can cast your own bullets. Even then it still is not that inexpensive when you burn that much powder.

Boolit Master
    Na Red, Iv'e had a knight bk92 black knight rifle in .50 caliber since the came out in the early 90's and the only thing I ever have used in it is loose powder. Either black mag 3 for the short time it was around or Fffg black powder 50 grs for a patched ball or 90 grs for a 260 gr sabot.
    I will say that an inline is harder and takes longer to clean than a traditional muzzle loader especially if you can remove the barrel from the stock like a hawken.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    The last black powder rifle i owned there were no pellets and i just wasn't sure if you had to use them or not. I have had friends tell me you had to use pellets didn't make sense to me but i didn't own one so just took there word. My brother uses pellets and saboted bullets . Cost more to shoot than my center fire rifle. I just want one for fun don't want to go broke shooting it.
    For real fun, try shooting Civil War era muskets. Once you have the mold, it only costs powder, cap and whatever you pay for lead. And yes, they can be quite accurate. My 1st gen Parker Hale 2 band Enfield is a sub 2moa gun.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

My brother in law was on a canon team in reenactments used to go watch him looked like a blast.

Boolit Master
    Are you stuck on an in-line or would you consider something else?

Oh i would consider something else. I would love to have a flint lock but don't think i can afford one.

Boolit Master
    Lyman imports a fair inexpensive couple of rifles. Mine is the caplock version of the Deerstalker, and I really like it. It was about $400. They have a few flintlocks as well.

Yea $400 is a lot of money for me most of the guns i buy are in need of repair i have a lot more time than money.

Banned
    CVA Optima if you are in need of an inline. Great gun for little money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast