RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 reload or not

Boolit Buddy
    For a cheap hunting round I have been pulling the FMJ bullet and replacing it with a hornandy SP. As others said the semi auto's really spit the brass all over. 25 years ago I had bought a bunch of Midway stamped brass to load in a SKS but gave up after spending so much time looking for spent casings. This brass I now use in my Ruger bolt in 7.62 x 39.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    You can omit Valmets in this discussion as while excellent they're fringe cases and I doubt the OP is running one.
    What other high quality AKs do you want to arbitrarily exclude?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    That's my problem. Almost all the AKs I have shot were "real" ones, that is standard military issue guns. Never found that secret stash of National Match AKs
    Last edited by one-eyed fat man; 04-08-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Convenient dodge to the meat of my inquiry. Omit none then.

But if you have any integrity don't stay too far from those representative of the majority of the type.

Are you claiming that "everybody knows" that bolt guns always shoot better that semis,
    because of course a savage bolt gun in 223 always shoots better than a AR15 in 223
    I'm pretty comfortable with the theory that dollar for dollar the savage will give you the best accuracy. Of course if you want to compare a $400 axis to a high end AR I'll cry fowl but compare that same axis to a PSA special for the same price? You claiming a $400 budget AR build is likely to outshot a savage?

I really don't understand your line of reasoning are you seriously trying to deny that bolt guns are not more inharently accurate than semi autos because of their mechanical simplicity?

That's besides the point though, AR's are indeed exceptionally accurate and I respect the heck out of the design but what happened to talking about the AK? You're straying without substantiating your previous points.
    Last edited by Peregrine; 04-02-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    I doubt I'll re load for my AK. Not really interested in shooting with it for that matter. It is a bequest from a deceased relative.
    Practically new condition, I've fired less than twenty rounds through it. Only keep it for sentimental value.

That said something you must always consider when reloading for any auto loader is neck tension and crimp, both as heavy as possible.
    Among the ammo that came with the rifle I found one Remington cartridge with the bullet shoved deep in the case from a jam. Other Remington cases showed weak neck tension. You can twist the bullet by hand.
    Firing a cartridge which has the bullet pushed deep in the case causes excessive pressure and is known to damage guns.

Boolit Master
    I been trying handloads in a budget ar, everything from varmint grenades to berger flat base targets to 69gr match, getting 1.5 to 2+ MOA on all with 9x scope. certainly would be better as a savage bolt for target work.

for "cheap" semis I think its kinda pointless to make general purpose blasting ammo, unless you really like sitting at the bench for a while or gotta save a buck.
    me id say buy 500 cheap bulk ammo for blasting then handload 50 ballistic tips if you also want to hunt with it sometimes, just as an example.

if I had an expensive semi that is capable of good accuracy and mainly for bench or hunting then I wouldn't mind making all of its food.

the ak I had was like 300 bucks, I scoped it once and shot 100yds and got like 10MOA so you couldn't pay me enough to sit there and make 100s of bullets for it

I bought a Howa in 7.62x39 bolt gun. I got really tired of chasing brass. Still working up a load for it. It is a fun light gun to shoot to.

Boolit Master
    I have a sks, a mauser bolt action, a carcano and a ar in x39. yup, reloading can improve performance. For me its reloads, especially fat heavy cast and LVR powder. Works for me.
    Look twice, shoot once.

A few more parts and I'll have an AR in 7.62x39. You bet I'm going to load for it to see its potential. I'll use a brass catcher for bench work. I'll shoot a lot of $3.75/20 tula too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Actually quite a few people reload for the 7.62x39 cartridge. Many reloaders find it fun as a hobby too. Yes like you stated you can use better hunting bullets with it too.

Boolit Master

I have a single shot H&R that I had re-bored to 7.62 x 39 and I reload ALL my brass.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have a ak( cheap Chinese) a sks and a mini 30 all shoot pretty good ( better than i do ). And yes chasing brass can be a pain but boy they are a blast. For deer or pigs i would think a 155/160 grain lead at in the neighborhood of 2000 fps might be the ticket. I don't hunt so this is just a thought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    But if you have any integrity don't stay too far from those representative of the majority of the type.
    Nice try, won't take the bait

Boolit Buddy
    Nice try, won't take the bait
    "I won't substantiate my assertions because I am unable to defend them."

Is it really bait that I politely asked that if you're talking about the inherent accuracy of AK's as a whole I asked you to throw out a single outlier? Or was that all you planned to do, cherry pick niche examples and state they are representative of the whole?

I brought up several other points and you have addressed exactly none of them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    While not an sks my mosin loves russian ammo. And they say there not tack drivers? 50 yards with the irons. One flyer though.
    Attachment 239043
    In my experience, surplus Soviet and Russian 7.62x54r, the MN caliber, can be pretty accurate in certain rifles.
    However, my experience with 7.62x39, the AK/SKS caliber, with Russian made ammo has been quite the opposite, really poor accuracy, in several different SKS rifles, esp. shooting Tula and Barnaul commercially packaged FMJ.
    Otoh, Lapua Finn surplus, and Yugo brass cased surplus 7.62x39 is accurate as well as the old pre-Clinton ban Chinese Army surplus.

I've never reloaded for 7.62x39, but have collected boxer brass cases over the years that were left by other shooters at the club; I must have over 500 by now, and have a die set, too, so one of these days I'll try reloading that caliber, was thinking to use the gas block cutoff on my Yugo SKS and operate the rifle as a single shot with the reloads, not only for accuracy but to easily retrieve the cases.

fgd135 I have done that very thing with my Yugo SKS and Red Dot loads.

4.6 grains below a .312 185 gr gas checked bullet shoots very very well indeed.
    Also same below the .314 90 gr tl truncated cone.

Nothing in the world wrong with a straight pull bolt at the shooting bench. Puts brass right where you want it.

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoyed loading 7.63x39 for a couple rifles, one a Chinese SKS. It was surprisingly accurate, getting right at 1 moa. When loading expensive brass such as Lapua I would remove the op/gas rod and use it bolt action style. Also loaded hunting rounds by pulling FMJ bullets from military rounds, seat good game bullets and crimp them in place with a LeeFactory Crimp die. No need to find the fired steel empties in the weeds.

Boolit Master

fgd135 the tula mine likes. Bummers the SKS don't do well with Russian ammo. I hope to develop my own loads that shoot as well. I have some ready to go. Speer 150 grain .311 loaded with IMR 4895 at 44 grains. The tula bullets mic at .310. I had less stelar results with PPU 150 grain ammo that mic'd at .312. My bore slugs at .311.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    Right now I’m playing with 9mm and boolits. Is it worth my time, no. But when the next shortage comes along, I’m set.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    bigalof 44 grs in the sks???? 4895