Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Round ball in .380 acp

In Remembrance

Round ball in .380 acp

I've been wanting to experiment with cast round ball mouse fart loads in .380.....say two grains of Bullseye or equivalent.
    This will be fired from a Short Lane 5" rifled adapter out of my 20 gauge.
    Anyone try such a thing? I'd think the ball coated with LLA and loaded without tools/dies (just pressed in) might work.

Boolit Master
    I am not going to comment on how much or what powder to use, but yes you can make a round ball load with out reloading tools.
    I played with stuff like that ( .32 ACP & .38 Spl ) when I was a teenager 50 years ago.
    That was before I bought my first reloading set up.
    Now, What are you going to use the reloads for ?
    Out of a shotgun barrel, you can probably get Minute of Box Car accuracy, but they will fire.
    But playing with this kind of thing taught me a lot ,like, This would be a Last Ditch Effort to have something that would Fire Safely.

Boolit Master
    I load round balls for my 44 magnum Contender. They make good plinking/small game loads. I take some along when deer hunting.
    I deprime then prime a fired case. No sizing. I like a small charge of Unique. Then I press a lubed roundball down as far as it will go in the case. Hopefully right on top of the pinch of powder. The ball is lubed with Lee Liquid Alox.
    I like the ball down on top of the powder. At 10 yards those 44 RB loads shoot cloverleafs out of my Contender.
    I think you should try shooting RB loads in your 380 adapter.

Sometimes I will run the finished rounds up into the sizing die, stopping by feel. This, in effect creates a really strong crimp. I think it makes the light charge of Unique burn more better.