Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webcam for scales?

Banned
    I use a borescope with a tablet to confirm powder charges when loading pistol rounds when doing progressive reloading

fleabay <$7 Amazon a little more. It could easily be set up to enlarge the scale.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 02-06-2019 at 01:47 PM.

In Remembrance

I think I just found out what to do with the out of date smart phone sitting in the desk drawer.

Banned

Ive used two pacts and a lyman digital for well over 15 years. Never once did I see them wonder or be effected by fluorescent lights and my loading room is lit by ONLY fluorescents. Only problem ive EVER seen with them is that my pact dispenser I use the most is right by the press and sometimes if you pull the press handle and shake the table it will cause the scale to give a error message and you have to dump the charge back in and do it over. If I don't run the press like an ape even that doesn't cause a problem. Ive loaded 100s of thousands of rounds through the years with my pact and lyman dispenser and with charges weighted on a digital scale and have yet to have one single problem with those loads. Most of this urban legend **** comes from the guys using some kind of lee junk that are in need of justification. Same guys who will use a 30 dollar scale to load have 300 dollar phones in there pockets. Use what you want but understand that some of us know better. If they were as bad as some here would tell you they wouldn't be on the market because the companys couldn't afford to pay there lawyers. Yup the carburetor will never be replaced with those fancy electroinic ignitions systems and a tv without tubes!! no way. even the top bench rest shooters today use digital scales. granted there ones like the promethiest and sartorious that cost north of 5 grand not the ones we can afford but if they were conserned there are high dollar balance beams like the ones there grandpa used.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-06-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    What do you think it is that makes the Prometheus so good?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    I think I just found out what to do with the out of date smart phone sitting in the desk drawer.
    If your phone is like mine, it will keep shutting off after a few seconds unless yours has a place to change that

My cell phone I got free when they did an upgrade to 3G.
    If those electronic scales are as reliable as this computer and it internet connection I'll stick with my beam scales.
    Leo

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    If your phone is like mine, it will keep shutting off after a few seconds unless yours has a place to change that
    Yup you are correct, in photo or video mode it will shut off in five minutes but if I actually record in video mode it will shut off in ten minutes. I guess if I want to see the beam marks better I will just have to go with the prism idea. I'm 6'5" so when I use the beam scales I'm bent over with my head tilted back like one of Tim Conway's characters.

Boolit Buddy
    You can download a simple free app for you phone and it should stay on. I use one called "magnifier" but there are plenty of others.

Banned

it cost so much that it has to be
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    What do you think it is that makes the Prometheus so good?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    it cost so much that it has to be
    Still only a beam scale in a box Lloyd, admittedly a good one but nothing very technical about it.

Want a technical beam scale? Here's Herter’s Approved Ballistic Technical Laboratory Powder Scale Model 5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1995.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	235486
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    Want a technical beam scale? Here's Herter’s Approved Ballistic Technical Laboratory Powder Scale Model 5

In another 50 years that one will still work as well as it ever did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I SNIP Most of this urban legend **** comes from the guys using some kind of lee junk that are in need of justification. Same guys who will use a 30 dollar scale to load have 300 dollar phones in there pockets. Use what you want but understand that some of us know better. If they were as bad as some here would tell you they wouldn't be on the market because the companys couldn't afford to pay there lawyers. SNIP
    Hard to blame mistrust of electronic scales on "lee junk" when Lee does not make\sell electronic scales. I have never had to worry about drift with my Lee powdwer scoops!

Found another advantage for the $13 endoscope hooked up to a beam scales. The scale no longer need to "live" at eye level on a shelf. Moving the scale under that same shelf it is now in easy reach for powder weighing. That same shelf blocks the AC/ceiling fan air movement. That shelf space once occupied by the scale is now the home of a "retired" Kindle monitor.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Banned

yup its hard to justify a loading press when you can use a lee loader too. I guess it depends on what you load and how much you load and if getting the most out of your loads matters. The very first rounds I loaded I used nothing but a lee loader and some scoops myself but I sure wouldn't want to go back to it
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Hard to blame mistrust of electronic scales on "lee junk" when Lee does not make\sell electronic scales. I have never had to worry about drift with my Lee powdwer scoops!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post

with a name like that it has to be GOOD.

Banned

point was that cheapskates that will by the cheapest thing out there feel the need to bash better stuff to justify it. Lee just makes entry level stuff. If you doubt it happens go on any thread about progressive presses and see how many try to defend buying a pro 1000. If all I had was the price of a 1000 id stick with a single stage press. It isn't my first rodeo. I too made the mistakes of trying to go cheap and even had 2 pro 1000s and a loadmaster. Does that make me frugal or smart. Nope just the opposite. It would have saved me money to but quality right from the start. I gave away one pro 1000 and the loadmaster. Its amazing those to guys still call me a friend! the other 1000 is at the bottom of my pond. By the way both of those guys eventually gave up on them too and have 550s today. but if your they type to trust your eyes or your grandkids eyes to a 15 dollar plastic scale then your probably better off with the scoops. At least the loads listed for them are conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Hard to blame mistrust of electronic scales on "lee junk" when Lee does not make\sell electronic scales. I have never had to worry about drift with my Lee powder scoops!

Boolit Grand Master

I stopped reading Smale's post when the Lee Hater showed up. Up to that point I regarded the post as a viable opinion, which I disagree with, but readable. Those that spew their hatred for inanimate objects (who 99% of the time don't know what they are talking about) just downgrade the civility and informative aspects of any thread...

No need to rely to me Mr. Smale, hut like another forum, I'madding your name to my "ignore" list. Have a nece day...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Look's like spell checker failed, again.

Banned

gosh now my feelings are hurt Hate? Nope. if you look in my loading room youll find many sets of lee dies and even some other lee stuff. If its good ill say so. If its junk ill say so too. Ive wasted my share of money on lee products that I consider junk and if I can help one guy avoid the mistakes I made then you can call me anything you wish. Sorry you took it personaly. I don't love or hate any piece of steal or PLASTIC. But ive loaded and casted enough in my life to be able to tell quality and value to junk and cheap. Casting and loading to me is something I do about daily. Not once a month to load a box of ammo. That said use what you want. Me? I didn't design or produce anything Dillon rcbs or lee produced so I have no personal FEELINGS about any of it. You can even criticize my truck or atv or my television because I didn't make them either. But if I buy one that's junk ill sure warn others.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I stopped reading Smale's post when the Lee Hater showed up. Up to that point I regarded the post as a viable opinion, which I disagree with, but readable. Those that spew their hatred for inanimate objects (who 99% of the time don't know what they are talking about) just downgrade the civility and informative aspects of any thread...

No need to rely to me Mr. Smale, hut like another forum, I'madding your name to my "ignore" list. Have a nece day...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast