Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: To ream or not to ream

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

To ream or not to ream

I have two 12,7x44R rollers. One is of Remington manufacture for the Swedish military and the other is a husqvarna also made for the military. I'm thinking of having a good smith ream the Husqvarna out to 50-100, or if the case will chamber, to a 50-110. This is strickly a black powder loading I'm thinking of doing with a 300 gr round nose. Also thinking of using Fg grade powder. Other than the long case not fitting and me not going crazy with the powder any real issues why I should not ream this chamber out? Your thoughts are invited.

Or, just have it reamed for 50 Alaskan, and use only BP for fuel. A 50AKBP
    Last edited by MOA; 01-19-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Boolit Master

Can't think of a reason not to do it except recoil. But I would love to have one in the original chambering but then I'm not thinking of hunting dinosaurs. For punching paper or deer hunting the original should do a pretty good job without burning lots of powder.
    OTOH I understand doing something like that for the fun of it as well.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Or make 12.7x44 brass from .348 Win....and keep the ole girls original?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Or make 12.7x44 brass from .348 Win....and keep the ole girls original?
    I plan on keeping the Remington as is..but,

The Husqvarna (which I think has the better steel ), is the one that is ripe for a rechambering.

I started right off with the 50 Alaskan brass for the 12,7x44R because it can be used as is. Also, because there was no real change in the neck area I didn't have to anneal the Starline brass, and did not suffer any splits. I just trimmed to 42mm and ran thru a 50-70 die and load and fire.

I got 100 pcs of starline brass from graf, and I will keep the Remington unchanged, but was thinking of doing the rechamber of the Husqvarna so to launch some 500+ grainers a little further. Then I would have two fifties to play with. I still have about 60 pcs of the 50 Alaskan unaltered, so if the 50-110 or the 50-100 will not chamber due to length issues I'm thinking I could just ream the chamber with the 50 Alaskan and use that case full length. I might have to use the 50-70 sizer to bring the mouth back closer to size for my boolits but will cross that bridge at that time. The length of case for the 50-110 is 61mm, and the 50 Alaskan is 53mm, while the 50-70 runs 44mm.