RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lost Words From Our Childhood!

Moderator Emeritus

Lost Words From Our Childhood!

A friend sent this to me and it made me smile and hope your trip down memory lane will be a good one as well!

Lost Words from our childhood:

Mergatroyd! Do you remember that word? Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd? Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy; and he looked at her quizzically and said "What the heck is a Jalopy?" He never heard of the word jalopy!! She knew she was old....but not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology.
    These phrases included: Don't touch that dial, carbon copy, you sound like a broken record, and hung out to dry.

Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie. We'd put on our best bib and tucker, to straighten up and fly right.

Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy moley!

We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.

Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!" We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone. Where have all those great phrases gone?

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! (Carter's Little Liver Pills are gone too!)

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times. For a child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory. It's one of the greatest advantages of aging.

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...

See ya later, alligator! Oki-doki

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 50'S & 60's. NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN. WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS: LIVING IN THE PEACEFUL AND COMFORTABLE TIMES, CREATED FOR US BY THE "GREATEST GENERATION!"

Okay! Whoopensocker??? Enlighten me!! It is one I do not remember hearing before this email!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    LOL had to google , "whoopensocker"...

That's why the Wisconsinites invented whoopensocker, which can refer to anything extraordinary of its kind—from a sweet dance move to a knee-melting kiss. 2. snirt (n.), Upper Midwest. A gem of a portmanteau, this word means exactly what it sounds like: a mixture of windblown snow and dirt. Apr 8, 2012

Source:http://mentalfloss.com/article/30395...pt-immediately
    A term I used a few weeks ago when in a local tavern & I was talking to the owner & making fun of his beer price increase when I said to him, " I don't know how you keep the doors of this Gyp-joint(Sp?) open, the way you raise the prices of a beer so often...". He was Not amused, but he understood the term, anyway. ( He is about late 60's in age)

That "Gyp-joint" term is one that came to my mind, when reading the OP, that I do not hear often said anymore. I 'd bet I would have more terms & sayings like those in the OP, if I think about it for a bit.

Thanks for sharing your "find"!

Made me smile a bit, but also a bit sad because they are fading fast from lack of use...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

It seems that Murgatroyd has a long history as a family name in the English aristocracy
    Heavens to Betsy - Gramma used that as an exclamation, couldn't use swear words. Seems like many are like that.
    The others are silly 'coined' popular sayings with no real meaning or use. Yes wooden nickle were real, as was biting a coin to make sure it was 'genuine'. Coins were often cut, thus the quarter and half.
    Jalopy could be from the old 'rag' tops - autos tops were mostly made of cloth in the old days, joulosie - french blinds that keep out sun but not rain.
    IMHO, you got most of the ones I remember.
    Last edited by popper; 01-01-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    When I order anything at a speaker drive through burger 'joint' I usually end up having to go on and drive up to the window to order . I still speak archaic Texan .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    Gone west, when things are lost.

I remember most of those sayings or at least hearing them said by one of my elders some are before my time I admit . And the last real working stand alone phone booth I've see was way up in Quebec Canada two years ago on a fishing trip. And it still actually used coins !
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I remember most of those sayings or at least hearing them said by one of my elders some are before my time I admit . And the last real working stand alone phone booth I've see was way up in Quebec Canada two years ago on a fishing trip. And it still actually used coins !
    A bit off topic, but since ya mentioned it, there was a booth phone at the rest stop off the interstate near Morgantown, W.Va. last Summer when I was passing thru there. I had not seen one in some time & it was quite something for my 2 sons who were with me, as at 35 & 32, neither one had seen one since they were young lads at around 12 years old or less.

And for back to the OP topic again, right now it is warmer at 10 deg. F. but earlier when the wind was blowing, folks used to say it was, "colder than a well diggers butt", or a "colder than a witches tit.".

"Finer than a frogs hair" is another I use, but not many do or understand depending on age.

"Tighter than Dicks hatband", was one I heard used when growing up. The reference is not necessarily talking about something used on top of ones "sconce".

I realize that these all are a bit risque, in some folks minds, but, "Sucking hind tit", and "Worthless as tits on a boar" are some more common saying I heard long ago , but are not so common now.
    ( Not so common , not due to society etiquette , but due to folks just not familiar with such sayings & terms like long ago.)

I should stop now, as I may be pushing the tolerance of some here with what was perfectly understood and acceptable to say & be heard by even youngsters for many folks in times past , but are not so much so now a days.

Lastly, some folks now a days are "dumber than a pine knot", or " a box of rocks", & would not understand these terms anyhow...
    LOL

Having fun here , but don't want to get in trouble...

Like in the OP, "See ya later, alligator!" ( and our response was always, "After a while , Crocodile!".
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I still use a lot of those! Draw strange looks from many! Aahh! their loss.
    One of the biggest in my area was
    "Ja eat yet...no jew?"
    When friends came calling near supper time!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

At work, a few years ago, I used the term "gilding the lily," to my boss to describe an unnecessary effort that would not produce any better results. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Dad gum it and for Pete's sake....has anyone heard of gutchies? It was a PA dutch term for underwear....tighty whities if you will.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    ...has anyone heard of gutchies? It was a PA dutch term for underwear....tighty whities if you will.

redhawk
    Many times heard that from my Dad, as in "ya got clean under-gutchies on?" to "wow, that'll make you change your under-gutchies "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    At work, a few years ago, I used the term "gilding the lily," to my boss to describe an unnecessary effort that would not produce any better results. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Wayne
    I have heard it used. Not for a time now though.

Around here, it is/was, "Putting lipstick on a pig", and meaning the same thing.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Buddy
    "He is as lazy as a bump on a pickle".

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

They are in La La land
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

And my hair is gray, what's left of it. Pooh. Yep I'm old, those saying's didn't help any, but thanks a bunch for sharing.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Moderator Emeritus

Dumber than a post, uglier than a mud fence in a rainstorm, steeper than a cows face. Bakelite, overshoes, galoshes, "get them hands outaa yer pockets, ya playing pocket pool in there?" are all no longer in common use.
    Out of favor names? Prudence, Norman, Gaye, or Gayla, Gaylord, Horace, Maurice or Morris, are all English names not often heard.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    A little dab will do ya or greasy kid's stuff. Useful as a rubber crutch.

Boolit Master
    well dag nabbit! ...i'l be hornswoggled!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I still use a lot of those! Draw strange looks from many! Aahh! their loss.
    One of the biggest in my area was
    "Ja eat yet...no jew?"
    When friends came calling near supper time!
    In these parts, the old timers would follow that up with "squeet".
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    A bit off topic, but since ya mentioned it, there was a booth phone at the rest stop off the interstate near Morgantown, W.Va. last Summer when I was passing thru there. I had not seen one in some time & it was quite something for my 2 sons who were with me, as at 35 & 32, neither one had seen one since they were young lads at around 12 years old or less.

And for back to the OP topic again, right now it is warmer at 10 deg. F. but earlier when the wind was blowing, folks used to say it was, "colder than a well diggers butt", or a "colder than a witches tit.".

"Finer than a frogs hair" is another I use, but not many do or understand depending on age.

"Tighter than Dicks hatband", was one I heard used when growing up. The reference is not necessarily talking about something used on top of ones "sconce".

I realize that these all are a bit risque, in some folks minds, but, "Sucking hind tit", and "Worthless as tits on a boar" are some more common saying I heard long ago , but are not so common now.
    ( Not so common , not due to society etiquette , but due to folks just not familiar with such sayings & terms like long ago.)

I should stop now, as I may be pushing the tolerance of some here with what was perfectly understood and acceptable to say & be heard by even youngsters for many folks in times past , but are not so much so now a days.

Lastly, some folks now a days are "dumber than a pine knot", or " a box of rocks", & would not understand these terms anyhow...
    LOL

Having fun here , but don't want to get in trouble...

Like in the OP, "See ya later, alligator!" ( and our response was always, "After a while , Crocodile

"colder than a witches tit.", I believe that may be “faster than a witches tit” per sodbusters
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast