RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Sizing Wax VS Hornady One Shot

Imperial Sizing Wax VS Hornady One Shot

I've used Imperial sizing wax from the beginning, bout 7 or 8 years ago. I've read its praises here on this forum, and I agree, it works well. By works well, I mean, I put it on, size cases, none stick, and a can lasts forever. I like simple stuff, and one of the key things I like about it, is that I can wipe the excess off with a rag instead of using some sort of solvent or tumbling after sizing. I also like being able to wipe it on, slow, but simple.

Well, I got all energetic one day at Academy and bought a can of Hornady one shot case lube. It set a few months and I figured i'd give it a try. Sprayed some cases from all 4 sides and let it set a few minutes then sized. I didnt clean my die out as instructed. Well, I noticed that the cases sized much easier than with the imperial sizing wax. I can wipe the excess One Shot off, which is a plus. The down side is, that it stinks, aint cheap by comparison, and aint simple either.

I've used imperial in the "a little dab is all you need" amount, and in the I slather it all over amount, finding that a little more makes it easier. However, the One shot made sizing almost effortlessly by comparison. Im sure that part of it is that I get some of the lube in the case mouths. I use graphite on the case mouths with the imperial sizing wax, but its no comparison.

So I got to thinking about it, am I doing something wrong with the Imperial? Or is the One Shot really that much easier?

Anyone have a suggestion for lube that I can wipe on and wipe off without solvent, but that makes sizing easier than the Imperial?

~Bazoo

Boolit Buddy
    Try Dillon lube

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I like the idea of a spray, because it’s easy to get some lube on the inside of the case. I make my own with castor oil and lanolin mixed into alcohol, then put in a spray bottle.

I have been using the ONE SHOT for a lot of years. Yes, it may cost a bit more, but I have never had problems with it like I have with other lubes. It is also very easy to use.
    With the cases standing in a loading tray, I spray it down onto the cases at about a 45 degree angle with a sweeping motion. I do this from three directions. This gives me a complete coat and gets a bit into the neck of the case.
    I don't mind the smell at all.
    I have a bottle of Dillon lube on hand but have not tried it yet.

Boolit Grand Master

I really don't know any other lube that will just wipe off. I use Imperial when I neck size because it is easy to wipe on and off. I use the Dillon spray for full length sizing but its a little sticky and does not wipe off to suit me. I'll make my own whenever the case that I bought runs out.

One shot has gotten a bad rep for sticking cases. I have found it to work well if you follow the instructions. That is first to shake it up very well and second is to let it dry on the case for a few minutes to let the carrier evaporate. My only gripes with OneShot is the price and the fact that I bought several cans on sale once and they lost pressure.
    Last edited by lightman; 12-30-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have been using the ONE SHOT for a lot of years. Yes, it may cost a bit more, but I have never had problems with it like I have with other lubes. It is also very easy to use.
    With the cases standing in a loading tray, I spray it down onto the cases at about a 45 degree angle with a sweeping motion. I do this from three directions. This gives me a complete coat and gets a bit into the neck of the case.
    I don't mind the smell at all.
    I have a bottle of Dillon lube on hand but have not tried it yet.
    I think you will like the Dillon lube. Use it like OneShot, shake it well and then let the carrier (alcohol) evaporate before sizing the cases. I use a gallon ZipLoc bag and spray 50 or 100 cases at a time. I'll roll them around in the bag to get the lube spread to all of the cases. I usually use 2 or maybe 3 pumps.

I only used oneshot once on rifle cases and didn’t like it. Dillon worked better for me. I use a bankersbox lid put the cases in and give a couple squirts, shake and let dry. A zip lock bag works too but I prefer the box lid.

Imperial is a great lube as is Hornady’s unique lube but you apply both of them case by case, by hand. So they are not the Mose efficient use of time.

Lube

Pure Mink Oil Paste
    Last edited by onomrbil; 12-26-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

I have tried most of the case lubes at one time or another but keep coming back to Imperial Wax as it is still the best one I have found. They all work after a fashion but I like to take my time with case prep and the wipe it on with my fingers and wipe it off with an old towel works best for me. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    I am a fan of Imperial but now I use the Unique tub from Lyman. Way more lube for the money and it is almost as efficient as to the amount used.

The individual process does waste time compared to using a spray technique. But the thing I object to with spraying is getting my load blocks gunked up.

Three44s

Boolit Grand Master

I've used the imperial for years. I was shown a trick for applying it by an old time High power shooter that makes it quick and easy to apply a very thin coat evenly. It takes very little of it to do the job required.

Buy a cheap bath towel. lay flat on bench or floor. wipe some Imperial in it and pour cases on it a little more imperial. pick up towel by corners each end in each hand forming a sling or loop. raise and lower hands to agitate roll cases. I have done 1500 308s in my towel at one time. Once towel is impregnated it goes very fast lubing cases. Until towel is ompregnated you need to watch cases coating as it can be applied to thin. When done store towel in a gallon size zip lock bag with air pushed out.

I started out with the rcbs lube and pad slow and easy to over apply. Hard to remove short of tumbling. I then used lanolin and it was good but messy, It did soften hands also. A friend uses Crisco for case lube, Ive never tried it. Bag balm is popular with a lot, but that the lanolin in it. Stp has been used but again hard to remove. I haven't used any of the sprays or newer lubes.

Banned
    Mix liquid lanolin with the red bottle of heat. I've seen ratios from 8 to 1 through 12 to 1.
    You can mix it to whatever thickness you prefer, start at 12 to 1 and add more lanolin if you not happy with that.
    For $10 you have a lifetime supply of case lube at the exact consistency you like.
    I pour the lanolin into the bottle of heat with a couple boolits in it and have it sitting on the back of my bench, refilling my sprayer whenever needed.

Banned
    They both are great and I use both. ONLY use the Hornady aerasol NOT the pump. It will suffice for ALMOST anything. I get out the Imperial when the Hornady is too much effort. Like machine gun pickup 7.62x51 brass I want to use in a bolt gun.

Boolit Master

I use One Shot mostly because of the speed of application and overall neatness once applied.

I tried lanolin/Heet and found it was taking way too long to apply/shake and allow to dry

reloading for 6 cowboy shooters can take a bit of time
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I've used HORNADY One Shot since it came out. But only on Rifle cases that I shoot in Semi-Auto's & LEVER Guns.
    Sinclair Int'l makes some Wonderful case blocks just for spray lubes. Some sort of poly composite that is impervious to just about anything. I wash them about every thousand rounds in Dawn dish soap.
    They are shallow blocks with 2 staggered rows. I put one on a stool covered buy several sheets of newspaper. Spray from all sides. Remove to loading bench. Spray 2nd block. Go inside refill coffee cup, back to bench start sizing. When I finish the 1st block, I put 2nd block on loading bench. Then refill 1st block, spray and go to size cases in block on loading bench.

Repeat, spraying & sizing. Refill Coffee cup as needed.

It may sound time consuming and confusing. But in the time it's taken me to punch this long boring description into my tablet with a touch pen, I could have done at least a hundred cases.
    And I never bother to wipe it off, until I'm sitting in front of the TV doing final inspection and putting the loaded rounds into their boxes.

And I still use IMPERIAL SIZING Die WAX for Bolt, Single Shot & Pump action RIFLE Cartridges. I smear it on a lube pad. And use with my finger too.

Hornady One Shot make sizing .06 cases that pop out of my Garand as easy as sizing .32 auto in a T/C die.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I Loved OnsShot. If you don't care for spraying the cases try a lube pad (like an ink pad) you spray a bunch on and roll the cases across it. I have a couple of tubs of wipe-on lubes and they work fine but One Shot seemed less likely to leave lube dents on my cases.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I really don't know any other lube that will just wipe off. I use Imperial when I neck size because it is easy to wipe on and off. I use the Dillon spray for full length sizing but its a little sticky and does not wipe off to suit me. I'll make my own whenever the case that I bought runs out.

One shot has gotten a bad rep for sticking cases. I have fount it to work well if you follow the instructions. That is first to shake it up very well and second is to let it dry on the case for a few minutes to let the carrier evaporate. My only gripes with OneShot is the price and the fact that I bought several cans on sale once and they lost pressure.
    If you still have those cans with no pressure left, there is a neat trick. Get a valve stem for a tubless rim. A new one that hasn’t been cut off. The part that is normally inside the rim, has hole that fits on the top of most spray cans. You have to hold it on, but can charge the can as if you were filling a tire. Be careful not to put too much pressure in. I don’t know how much those cans can take.

Put the brass in a gallon size ziplock and spay and tumble with the one shot. You are suppose to let it dry also, on small batches I use Imperial or mink oil. All 3 work wonders.

Banned
    for small batches and handgun brass I use a gallon screw top plastic container 1/4 full of cut up sponges.

I"m also a fan of mink oil (robbed my old shoe care kit)

Boolit Master

I've settled on the lube pad method for rifle brass. A qtip swap inside the neck. Then the cases get a trip through the vibratory cleaner to remove lube.

I like Hornady One Shot for handgun brass. Even for carbide dies. Makes the experience much nicer. I use one of those large ziploc plastic food storage containers. A few sprays on the bottom, sides and lid. Brass goes in for a few swirls. I set the whole container outside an adjacent open window to off gas. I don't trust HOS for rifle duty. I don't do anything to remove HOS lube.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast