Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal Hulls

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    I tried the newspaper between the powder and wad for the first time yesterday, works great. You don't even know there is a problem until you start loading those clear hulls. Ajay's been a big help to all of us. Gp

Winchester has gone to the dogs on components. Seems all they want to sell is those cheap Walmart shells. I'm going to miss the specialty wads like the WAA12-114 and the 20ga 1oz wads when I run out. Gp

Banned

I actually prefer the Down Range wads. Their DRA12 Yellow is a direct replacement for the WAA12F114.
    https://www.downrangemfg.com/index.p...ory&Itemid=170

Thanks for the link jmort. There's a specialty shotgun shop here local I bet has some. At least I'll know what to ask for. Gp

+1 on that paper trick. I just lightly push 1" square piece of tissue on top of the powder with a dowel then seat the wad. I use it for longshot and hs-6 loads. Big flake powder doesn't seem to move past the gas seal. Static and the rush of air when seating a wad are responsible for much of the powder sitting past the gas seal.

Vendor Sponsor

Scott: Did you crimp those hulls with your Hand Crank Crimper? It is an old Ideal tool right?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Scott: Did you crimp those hulls with your Hand Crank Crimper? It is an old Ideal tool right?

Randy
    Randy

Yes those were on my Easy Loader, they were actually crimped with the Roll Crimp head I sold you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181129_144401.jpg  
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Vendor Sponsor

So those hulls were previously roll crimped Federal Slug hulls ? So far the best roll crimps I have done have been with those same hulls.

Going to play with some other tools today. Might have come up with an idea for the worlds simplest hull vise. It came to me in the shower an hour ago. Funny how that happens.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Randy: Ideas for me come in the early morning waking hours. I can't sleep in in my old age but still don't get up very early. Gives a man time to think up new adventures in reloading. I'll be interested in what you come up with. So far I've been using channel locks or wooden blocks held in the clamping vice I built. The one I posted a picture of earlier. BB called it a contraption. LOL Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    So those hulls were previously roll crimped Federal Slug hulls ? So far the best roll crimps I have done have been with those same hulls.

Going to play with some other tools today. Might have come up with an idea for the worlds simplest hull vise. It came to me in the shower an hour ago. Funny how that happens.

Randy
    Yes Sir
    The Blue and Red Federal I've posted pics of are/were roll crimped slug hulls.

I have roll crimped Remington Gun Club hulls as well, but those required a hand drill, as they are about .010 - .012 thou thicker than the Federals.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Y’all ever used a nitro card over powder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Not much to this one and it works fairly well and doesn't make your hand cramp.

It is a Hull Holder for Roll crimping and it consists of a piece of 1/2" aluminum plate, this one just happens to be 2 3/8 x 3" with a .812 hole thru it off center.

I measured a bunch of hulls and they were all from .807-.812 in dia at the base. (not the rim) So I made the hole .812.

My original Idea had the plate cocking slightly to hold onto the hull. In actual use you push down on the plate and keep the base of the hull flat on the table and I guess the hull is held in place by downward pressure on the rim. Either way it works.

I built these 5 rounds this afternoon based on AA hulls with the previous crimp cut off, to test the tool. They are loaded with 20 gr of Green Dot (Trap Load) and a Blue Wad with a 1/4" Felt Wad and Lee 1 oz slug on top then Roll Crimped using the Lyman tool at @140-150 rpms. I did this on my Mill Vise but it could have been done on the drill press or with a hand drill just as easily. The tool holds the hull pretty well with minimal downward pressure.

Randy

Boolit Master
    RE: OP question

Recheck your data source for Federal paper base hulls.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    RE: OP question

Recheck your data source for Federal paper base hulls.
    RMc
    What am I re-checking for?

The FEDERAL data was published in 2008 and is still listed on their website.

Example
    12 Gauge 2 3⁄4˝ Gold Medal® Plastic Case
    (Data applies to both ribbed or smooth case)
    1 1⁄4 3 3⁄4 1330 209A 12S4 Blue Dot 33 1⁄2 9,900

12 Gauge 2 3⁄4˝ Hunting-Type Plastic Case
    (Top Gun , ® Field and Target Loads; Federal Premium® Wing•Shok , ® and Federal® Game•Shok® Shells with Paper Basewad)
    1 1⁄4 3 3⁄4 1330 209A 12S4 Blue Dot 34 9,600

Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 12-24-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Scott

Boolit Master
    How many types of 2.75" Federal paper basewad hulls are there?

These paper basewad hulls have the same basewad height.

Considering your original quest for 1 3/8 ounce Longshot data:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun
    Last edited by RMc; 12-29-2018 at 02:45 AM.

Just for the heck of it, if you are not, let me be less specific, using some form of softer wad column and temperature sensitive powder in COLD temps, not referring to any in particular and you look at enough recipes over the decades you may find using a standard 209 in place of the 209A or 209Ms will allow you to increase powder charge 1 to 4 grains in something like the Fed paper hull increasing projectile/s speed 50 to 100 fps. The mag primer will give you a quicker pressure peak and an increase in speed, but not as much speed if you can get away with the standard primer with more powder and the slower pressure peak.
    Last edited by OnHoPr; 12-26-2018 at 08:44 AM.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.