WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help selecting a new 1911.

I picked up a Norinco 1911 9mm $400 CDN.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	229342

Boolit Master

Mine has been a 1937 made Colt Govt. 1911A1 for over 40 years. I have put thousands of rounds through it and it will NEVER leave my hands! That being said....I like the Kimber and Les Baer pieces too. If planned for carry, I would suggest a Robar finish (I dig NP3 slide/Black Oxide frame).
    Semper Fi to your boy!

I have a Springfield Loaded that has been excellent. I even sent it back to Springfield to fix the 6-0'clock hold, and was very pleased when they massaged my ejector and ramp for free, plus paid for the shipping.

Boolit Master

I also have a Springfield Range Officer. Mine is the compact version in 45 acp. After having this a while I feel very good about recommending their Range Officer in 9mm. This one of mine is very well built. It is also the most accurate 45 I have. I just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppenwolf View Post
    I picked up a Norinco 1911 9mm $400 CDN.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	229342
    Love them. I've got one in 45 I've had for years. I've bought and sold several 1911's but my norinco has always stayed. But yes budget is everything. Not sure if Taurus makes one in 9mm but they are good along with alot of others. I'm looking at a sig at the moment. Bit pricey but I've heard good things about them and haven't owned one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I have a Kimber Target II great gun

I have two Ruger 1911s. One is the full size in .45 ACP & the other is the Officers model in 9mm (my first 9mm)

I like both of them. My officers model cost $780.00 (most dealers discount them) which is slightly less than the Colt you mentioned. Of special note if hand loads with cast boolits are to be used: the Ruger Officers model comes from the factory with a throated barrel.

I'm now considering another Ruger LW Commander size in .45 ACP.

Like others that have commented: I've owned a Colt 1911 & will never buy another.

Henry

I had a Taurus. It was a good one. Wish I hadn't had to sell it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    For ccw purposes, search out a Star BM...9mm, near clone of a 1911 commander, but slimmer. Good shooter for $200 bucks, all machined billet steel. The only difference from a true 1911 is the lack of grip safety, and a slightly different recoil spring and barrel bushing setup. The slide rails are cut slightly different too.

CZ 75, works like a 1911. good sites, may fit the hand better.
    Scott

The East-Left Coast

"They took my horse and made him surrender".

Boolit Master
    I have an STI Trojan in 9mm I'm pretty fond of. It's a pretty faithful 1911 copy. Very well made in Texas.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Ruger CMD,45, a Springfield Officer, 45, a DW Guardian, 38 super and a Rock Island GI 38 super. My favorite is the Ruger.

I have a Ruger but in 45 liked it so well I bought 2 others in .45. Sold a Springfield r.o. to buy a Ruger 10mm. Ruger is 100% American. It would be a shame for a Marine to shoot anything less

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Groo here
    A Ruger is well made for the money,a springfield EMP is built to the round.
    If he wants a true 1911 in 9mm go with a commander size ,Colt made them in 9mm first. [got a Lady Hawk ,too purty to shoot]
    If he has smaller hands , the emp4 [got one] shoot well and eat most stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like enough input here showing the variety of stuff available. I'm to the point where I consider all Government Models, regardless of manufacturer, as sort of Do-It-Yourself kits. There are so many accessories, add-ons and options, that the sky is definitely the limit (if there is one) I would look for a solid frame and slide from any reputable manufacturer and go from there. Then again, if I were going to go for a complete gun from the get-go, I would get the most basic model I could find then selectively upgrade as I discovered features that appealed to me. That's just one man's opinion, but I have done what I just described a couple of times... YMMV!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I currently lust after TRP model from Springfield. I just don't have the funds for one at the moment.
    I built up one of Springfield's Mil Spec models with a few additional parts and a trigger job that is a close substitute for a TRP. It shoots better than I do and has been flawless in operation.

Boolit Master

Well, being a Marine, he probably wants a Colt M1911. I've had many over the years in the military from arms room clunkers ,Colt Gold Cups and custom target guns. But, they are heavy and cumbersome. I currently shoot a Colt Combat Target Model but for carry purposes around the place here, I use a FN High Power clone in 9mm with a self cocking feature. Still, its cumbersome for outside carry in town. Just a matter of what he wants to do with it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Rock Island makes a couple of 9mm 1911's and they won't put you in the poor house. I've got a Rock Tac 45acp and it is a very reliable gun. Nothing bad to say about it. Hard to beat for the money. I've been eyeing the 10mm for some time now
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Personally I like some mods on a 1911 but agreed to add them as suits YOU, just see how others' 1911 mods seem to you. Definitely quite a few out there, beavertail grip safeties, commander vs 1911 hammers and other hammer designs, extended safeties and slide releases, different sights, etc. etc.!