Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you celebrate Halloween?

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Not really a fan.
    When my children were small I took them trick or treating.
    We haven't had any trick or treaters in my neighborhood in the 24 years since I built my home. It is a small 13 property development...we have had small children in the neighborhood but they never trick or treat.

I don't go to Halloween parties, parades or participate.

I have gone to a few Halloween parties over the years as favors to friends and family members. I never dressed in a costume or any of the associated tomfoolery.
    Just not my thing.

I trick or treated when I was a kid. My wife and I view it as a celebration of evil. Nice to see churches in our area putting on an alternative party for kids

Long ago we lived in a developed town by the name of BlueMound. Sidewalks, tall hedge between houses, a large elm tree centered in the yard. We had lots of kids coming by to trick or treat. I would stand out by the hedge in a long wool coat and quietly watch proceedings. People walking on the sidewalk six feet away did not see me. One halloween in particular, I was out there while my young son handed out the candy. A big kid was walking with his little sister for her safety and as the little girl got to my door, the young man stopped and was looking back at his sister. He had stopped about two feet away from me. I could not resist the chance and said Booooo. Well he almost tore down the end of the hedge. It had quieted down a little after thatwith no kids in site. A large black dog came towards me prancing along in a trot. I had the long coat tail gathered up and holding it real wide, walked in a crouching way toward the dog, and then....he saw me turned wrong side out to go the other way. The dog was still going YIKE yike yike for a couple of blocks. Who says adults can't have fun on Halloween.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    not anymore the trick or treaters were looking a lot less like kids and more like thugs. the final straw came when a so-called kid bigger than me ( i am 6'4" ) set his 40 oz down to come to the door. the neighborhood just ain't what it used to be.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I don't celebrate Halloween for the supposedly religious holiday it is supposed to represent. But I do give out candy to the kids who are out to just have a good time. I enjoy it and I enjoyed it when I was a kid. Halloween today is nothing more than a time to have a good time with kids who know nothing about the religious background it supposedly came from.
    Sorta like Christmas and Santa Claus, eh.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Like most holidays, it is what you make of it. Christmas and Easter both have some strong pagan origins and traditions too. We choose to celebrate them for our perspective instead.

Like a couple others have said, we don't "celebrate" Halloween as such either, but the kids do dress up and have some good clean fun. Last night we took the kids to a "harvest party" at the church. They had a good time, then we let them go around the close neighborhood for candy. We don't do the scary, evil looking costumes (not a fan), and we don't decorate with witches and demons. No judgement towards anyone who does, just not us. Also no judgement towards anyone who abstains from Halloween altogether. I can respect that too; it's much how I was raised. My wife and I have just come to feel that to a degree it's innocent fun for the kids, and we've had discussions with them as to why we don't allow the gory, evil, slasher type costumes and decorations. I just don't see anything good coming from that kind of stuff.

My kids seem to love the fun, goofy costumes anyhow. Last night we had a human hot dog, a shark, Robin from Teen Titans Go, and a five year old giant box of movie popcorn.

Boolit Grand Master
    What is Halloween????
    From wikipidia.....
    Christian influence

Today's Halloween customs are thought to have been influenced by Christian dogma and practices derived from it.[71] Halloween is the evening before the Christian holy days of All Hallows' Day (also known as All Saints' or Hallowmas) on 1 November and All Souls' Day on 2 November, thus giving the holiday on 31 October the full name of All Hallows' Eve (meaning the evening before All Hallows' Day).[72] Since the time of the early Church,[73] major feasts in Christianity (such as Christmas, Easter and Pentecost) had vigils that began the night before, as did the feast of All Hallows'.[74] These three days are collectively called Allhallowtide and are a time for honoring the saints and praying for the recently departed souls who have yet to reach Heaven. Commemorations of all saints and martyrs were held by several churches on various dates, mostly in springtime.[75] In 609, Pope Boniface IV re-dedicated the Pantheon in Rome to "St Mary and all martyrs" on 13 May. This was the same date as Lemuria, an ancient Roman festival of the dead, and the same date as the commemoration of all saints in Edessa in the time of Ephrem.[76]

Boolit Grand Master

Not anymore if what you mean by celebrate is dressing up as a kid and trick or treating. People that get all worked up about devil worship and such should get a grip. I doubt kids going door to door for candy are being indoctrinated by Satan Worshippers
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

yup some religious nuts get all wrapped up in what they want it to represent. Not just a bunch of kids having fun. You can pick apart about any holiday. Do you give presents on Christmas and did you tell your kids when they were young santa was real. I did. Even though its suppose to represent Jesus's birthday not what it is for most. Even thanksgiving has been attacked by Native americans that don't like the fact they fed the whites and then they turned on them and brought them disease. Easter is another one that some say worships some God. It about all looks like the kind of **** the liberals wrap themselves around today. I say let the kids have fun. there only kids for a blink of an eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Not anymore if what you mean by celebrate is dressing up as a kid and trick or treating. People that get all worked up about devil worship and such should get a grip. I doubt kids going door to door for candy are being indoctrinated by Satan Worshippers

Halloween,thats when they ripped out the wireing on the doorbell.
    Was not home,so I guess I got the trick.

Boolit Master

Whatever Halloween started out as or might mean to some weirdos, it has nothing to do with what our culture has made it. It is a time for kids to have fun. I have seen more than one party put on by churches as an "alternative" to Halloween. People still dress up and get candy. This hurts no one and is not a spiritual stumbling block.

That being said, I don't like Halloween because it is a major pain.

We never "celebrated" it like a real Holiday, but participated when the kids were still in the house. Loved to set up "scary" setups for the little kids... with our kids out of the house and not a lot of neighborhood kids around either, we stopped doing that about 4 years ago and instead leave and grab a nice dinner... But for sure some fun memories and never a thought around it being in conflict with our believes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h1.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	229735 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	229736
    (wild gorilla cage with a backdoor to get behind them at the candy table...)

Name:	h3.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	229737 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h3a.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	229738
    (haunted 30x10 tent, with fog machine and living props inside even too scary for some adults...)

Name:	h4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	229739 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h5.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	229740

Name:	h7.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	229741
    (also loved the pumpkin carving with friends...)
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Buddy
    Grew up in one of those households that have nothing to do with it. Now that I have kids of my own, and my wife's family did do trick or treating, I take them trick or treating and whoever is home has candy for the trick or treaters we get.

The onion has a great video about "the real meaning of halloween" which never fails to amuse me.

It is a pagan high holiday and I don't take the dark side of the supernatural lightly. At the same time, the vast majority of how it is celebrated isn't taking it seriously. At the end of the day the shared experience with other kids getting candy and having fun is something I'm happy for my kids to share. I'll have serious talks with them as they are older about the ideas and symbols that we play with at halloween. But at 4 and 2, all they know is costume and candy. Hard to hate that.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master
    80 + year olde Mr. & Mrs. GONRA believe Halloween has become a Harmless Secular Holiday for the kids.
    In semirual PA, we have <10 kids showup every year.....

We do not celebrate, but my wife likes to give out candy to the kids.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Boolit Master
    Lol. I loved it growing up. Now I I just follow my kids around. My daughter will not skip a house!

Banned
    no we don't

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12