RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
PBcastco Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a 22 semi auto. suggestions please.

Thinking about getting a 22 semi auto. suggestions please.

I am thinking about getting a 22lr semi auto to do some plinking and blasting with. Good accuracy would be a plus but not entirely necessary.
    It really needs to be reliable and function with many different brands of ammo. I have some odd brands I picked up during the shortage and need to get them burned up. I don't want to run them through my good bolt rifles.
    I am open to suggestion on this. Mostly looking at Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60.
    Don't really know what else is out there at the moment. I would like to keep it inexpensive as possible.
    Thanks for your input.

Boolit Master
    I would go with a 10/22. Lots of variations out there. Easier to take down and clean than the Marlin 60. Maybe why I own 14 different 10/22's, and only 1 Marlin 60.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Don't ignore used guns. Many bargains out there.

Don't ignore tube magazine guns. No magazine to lose, hold alot of rounds. Reliable feeding.

Marlin Model 60 is great buy for the money. Common as dirt.

So are older Sears or Montgomery Ward autoloaders made for them by Savage or Mossberg and the Mossberg 151, 152, 251, 352, 702, Springfield 85, and Savage 62, 64, 187, etc.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the 10/22. Lost mine in a house fire and then there was the .22 ammo shortage. Never got around to replacing it. It killed tons of rabbits, squirrels, and grouse. Never gave me any problems.... ever. And very accurate.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I love my Henry but the 10/22 my wife got me for Christmas is nice. There is no limit to the amount of aftermarket parts for one.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

My wife gave me a 10/22 for Christmas several years ago.

She spent a bit extra to get one of the models with a walnut stock and stainless bull barrel.

Its been a great gun. Pretty accurate. Eats everything I feed it.

Sent from an unnamed device running an undisclosed OS via a third party application.

If you don't have an aversion to a handgun...the Ruger MK I or II can really be a lot of fun. I have an older MK II and can burn through cheap ammo in no time. I generally don't go to the range with less than 300 rounds at a time. The price point is about the same as a 10/22.

just a thought.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I second Outpost's suggestion of used guns. I have a Marlin y0, they are generally accurate, Marlin made good barrels. The tube fed has lots more parts than a bos mag. If a M60 has feed problems, could be a while to figure out. If a 10-22 has feed isdues, get a new feed assembly, commonly known a magazine. They are, on average, not as accurate as a M60 but there is a tremendous body of knowledge on the 10-22. Also there are infinite spates out there for 10-22 or Model 60. I lile the handling of the M60 better than a stock 10-22, but like the easy service and customazation of the 10-22. My 10-22s are no longer stock, but all parts are Ruger except barrels. I made them handle like the marlin, but target rifle accurate. 180$ for a used 10-22 + 100$ for a Green Mountain barrel+ my time = 1moa squirrel rifle with pretty walnut sporter stocks. If you want to keep it factory, you will like the Model60 better, I bet.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    You cannot go wrong with the 10/22.
    Don Verna

Dare to be different. Get a Nylon 66! Oh wait you said inexpensive. I've never warmed to the 10/22 for the reasons of crunchy trigger and so-so accuracy so I'll go with the Marlin 60. Keep them clean and they'll take the head off a mud turtle repeatedly. A used Store Brand (as a wise mansaid) can often be gotten at a good price. My son has an older Remington 597.22 rifle. When I bought it, it was problematic until Remington replaced the magazine. It works perfectly now even with a 25 rd mag. So I bought another 10 rd mag. The best part is very fine accuracy.

Boolit Master

A pump action 22 can be a lot of fun so can a lever action but if you get a 10/22 Have some fun with it https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/tommy...on-kit.118957/
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

In new guns there are 10/22s and Marlin 60s. I was 10/22 cheerleader until they replaced trigger
    housing with plastic. Now If buying new would probably be the Marlin. The Marlin has stayed pretty
    much the same since put on the market. The 10/22 was the 22 for years. Well made, dependable and accurate. The bean counters have ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    If you don't have an aversion to a handgun...the Ruger MK I or II can really be a lot of fun. I have an older MK II and can burn through cheap ammo in no time. I generally don't go to the range with less than 300 rounds at a time. The price point is about the same as a 10/22.

just a thought.

redhawk
    I own a couple of semi auto pistols in 22lr. Unfortunately, they are picky about what they will feed reliably.

Luckydawg13---- I know about the modification capabilities for the Ruger 10/22. While they are charming and very cool looking, they aren't something I want to get started doing.
    I will be staying with a stock rifle. the only thing I will add is a scope for my old eyes.
    I looked at lever rifles. Too much money.
    Last edited by tazman; 10-29-2018 at 10:23 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Remington Nylon 66 is the AK of .22 autoloaders. Unfortunately no longer plentiful or cheap, but solid guns.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the 10-22s for all around use. They can be tuned for very good accuracy if you want. I have one that's been set up and its a tack driver. a good trigger first then some bedding, rugers barrels are normally pretty good. I have seen them with the front threaded for the barrel to take play out there. There is also a barrel clamp block with a recoil lug that's inlet and bedded into the stock. I have seen marlin mod 60s shoot very well also.

There are a lot of older used 22 semi autos out there to look at. These can be a lot of fun and very accurate. I had a weatherby semi auto 22 for awhile it was a very good shooter and more the full sized rifle. It also had a selector for Semi auto or single shot. A little gaudy for my plainer tastes with the shiny finish and modern stock desighn but if I did my part 60-70 yd squierrelwere no problem with it.

And as others have said lever actions and pumps can be a lot of fun and burn a lot of ammo quickly.

Boolit Master
    My lone semiautomatic 22lr is a Marlin Model 60. Have had a Remington 597 and a Ruger 10/22. By far the Marlin is the keeper for me. Beautiful bluing, very consistent trigger, shoots everything(really likes CCI SV), and is the right size. Can be had in black synthetic, camouflage synthetic, blued, stainless, laminated, etc. The barrel is basically a heavy profile. I did strip the stock and Try-Oiled it. Also has a Last Shot Hold Open. Not knocking the others, just fell for these little rifles. Plan to add a couple more for fun, want the stainless laminated one and an all black blued synthetic stocked model.

Boolit Master

I would pick a RUGER 10/22. If I was limited to only one .22 rifle.

I guess I'm luckier then most. I bought a 10/22 Deluxe Spotter back in 1975, to replace a stolen REMINGTON NYLON 66.
    I only bought the Deluxe because it had sling swivels. It was 5 bucks more then the STD Gun. The installed sling swivels were a deal at 5 bucks installed. That ment I didn't have to do it myself and pay 3bucks for the swivels. Didn't even realize the stock was Walnut until I got home.

Put a Bushnell 4X one inch .22 scope on it, took it to the range with 5 kinds of ammo. Pretty good trigger, about 4lbs with a tiny bit of creep.
    Kept all 5 brands of ammo under an 1 1/4 at 50yds from the bench. FEDERAL 710 was the clear winner. 10rds into one hole.
    Trigger has smoothed out over the years, don't notice any creep in the trigger anymore.
    Never did anything to it except the scope, eventually changed the sling swivels for QD studs. And changed the scope out for a peep sight.

I never changed out the Mag release either. Didn't need too, don't use anything but the Factory 10 rounder's. I can slide my thumb onto the Mag release, pop out the empty and palm a new one in about 3 seconds.

After all that; I have managed to collect a MARLIN 39, a WINCHESTER 62, REMINGTO 552 & 572, an ancient OLYIMPIC bolt action and maybe one or two others I can't remember.
    I still do miss that NYLON 66. But that model 552 is slick as you could ask for.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I'm not sure what you mean by "some odd brands" but if it is anything like what I experienced with the "odd brands", well actually even some of the common and popular brands made during that joyous time, I think you may be bringing some frustration on yourself. I have 5 different autoloaders and certain ammo, most notably the bulk X-pert and surprisingly, WIN Super-X in the red plastic 100 box, are nothing but trouble to shoot in any of them. Anything with a 38 grain HP bullet with a bit of a shoulder is just about a guaranteed failure to feed at least one in a magazine in my rifles.

I don't own a 10/22 and have no desire to, so can't comment on how they would handle the odd stuff, but the Marlin 795, is for me, the least problematic, also the least expensive at less than $150 most places. It is quite simple, full sized and very accurate. Magazines are readily available and not too expensive.

Surprisingly, at least to me, is the Norinco ATD 22. Mine will function with virtually anything, including, most of the time, the above mentioned ammo.

If you are looking for just an "ammo burner upper" I think you would be better served with some type of manually operated rifle. Generally they are much easier to clear when a jam happens.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned

whilst a 10/22 is a good modding platform for lotsa bell 'n' whistles, i went with a savage 64 because, well, i just wanted a .22LR semi-auto plinker for the steel challenge and not a paper target or hunting gun. the 64 turned out not only to be stupid cheap, it's amazingly accurate out to 100 yards with just a red dot sight and great fun slapping the plates in a steel match.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I own a couple of semi auto pistols in 22lr. Unfortunately, they are picky about what they will feed reliably.
    What a bummer....I've never had issues with any ammo in my Mark II. I've not tried every brand...but I can tell you it feeds Federal (blue box and AE), Winchester 333, Armscore, Aguilla, CCI, Remington and Elly (probably some others I've missed) without issues. Now one thing I don't shoot are unplated bullets. I had severe leading issues with a few Remington Thunderbolt bulk bullets. I vowed never to shoot unplated again....and haven't for over 30 years. But that's been my only issues. Right after my leading issue I sent the pistol back to Ruger for some refurbishing...they replaced all the springs in it. (early 90's)...maybe that made the difference in feeding but maybe not....point is...I don't have issues with the cheap stuff. So for me...that pistol is a lot of fun to burn up ammo.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast