RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Marlin Hammer Screw

Marlin Hammer Screw

Usually somehow I manage to loosen them. This one has got me. I ahave an older waffle top 336 and the trigger pull is a bit too light. I have worked over sears and tumblers in muzzle loaders and am pretty sure I could stiffen it up a bit. I moved the spring into another notch and it helped some, but its just too light. Problem is that I cannot get the hammer screw out. I think someone may have used some kind of thread lock on the screw. I first tried a screw driver using the super slim blades needed for the slim slots they use in gun screws. The blade bent but no loosening. I have tried using an impact driver with the idea that I am going to have to replace the darn thing anyway. The impact driver blade bent but no loosening. I now have two options. One is to apply heat and see if I can get it to pop. Not crazy about that although I could apply a heat sink above it. The other is to carefully drill it out as I have ot replace it anyway. Any ideas out there? I removed the spring so there is no pressure.

DEP

Boolit Master

Is the thread end visible/accessible? A pencil type soldering gun would apply heat with no downside that I am aware of.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned
    I use a shop heat gun to loosen those screws put in with locktite it will get so hot you cant touch it but not hot enough to damage the metal just stay away from the wood and/or plastic stocks.

Boolit Master
    Did you try opening the action about half way.
    Some models you have to do that.

Couple of good ideas here I will have to try. I think it will require heat. Thank you

DEP

Boolit Master
    First thing I would do is remove rear wood just cause. Then I would find the perfect size brass punch and a couple good wacks from both directions on some non marring rigid surface. Then maybe the medium heat run and a correct fitting bit and another set of arms and hands would be a plus. Drill press in your world? Put bit in chuck with a 1/4" box wrench on bit and use force of press for vertical pressure and small cheater on wrench for horizontal.