WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No meat today

Boolit Master

No meat today

Want at least 2 deer in the freezer; this morning in my stand I had a large doe come in; not one I’ve seen before as her neck seems very long and thin and she had a unique white spot on her neck. Anyhow she was standing broadside head down at 30 yards. Than her 3 fawns came out of the swamp or “mosquito farm” as we call it. Maybe it’s the new baby at home maybe I let her go because she’s rearing 3 fawns maybe it was just such a pretty and still morning maybe I’m getting old but I didn’t take the shot. No red arrow for me no meat for the growing family. And I don’t regret it one bit.
    Last edited by nagantguy; 10-13-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing wrong with that man. I too have passed on shots because it just didn't feel right.

Be well

Good on you, Daddy. Well played.

Boolit Master
    I try to give plenty of time when a doe comes out to see if she has a fawn in tow,good move

Boolit Master

Right ON !! Well NOT done
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Everything gets a free pass now except hogs and dove, and dove may get a pass next year.

Kind of neat seeing coons and possums on the porch with us in the evenings in east Texas along with fox and deer in the yard.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Vendor Sponsor

With that one shot you may have killed 4 deer but only one in the freezer ..
    Dilly dilly
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Hunting is being out in the woods.
    Nobody says one has to shoot everything that comes along to make it a hunt.

Oh, and I try my best to ONLY shoot does.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-14-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

The taking of does is a very important management tool to keep the deer population healthy. I will take a doe but I also wait to see if there are any fawns around.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    hunting is the skill of getting close to game for the purpose of the kill. killing is just killing - anybody can kill. I love it when I get close and get to see them before they see me. just today I got to about 25 yards from bedded does. watched 'em for a few moments before gave 'em a low whistle & a quiet greeting. when it's right, i'll pop a few in the freezer, God willing.

glad you enjoyed the experience

Boolit Master

nagantguy, I'd call that a "successful" hunt. Very class act. You could hunt with me anytime.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Sounds like a very successful hunt! Lot of season left to find a meat deer! Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    I try to give plenty of time when a doe comes out to see if she has a fawn in tow,good move
    Must be you have better mama deer down there. Up here mama deer send the little ones out to make sure the coast is clear!

Banned

The fawns are weaned now and still have a couple of months of relatively mild weather and good food sources. They'll be OK if orphaned now.

That said, nothing wrong with your decision at all. I like to watch deer from my stand and watch a lot more of them than I shoot every year.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The fawns are weaned now and still have a couple of months of relatively mild weather and good food sources. They'll be OK if orphaned now.

That said, nothing wrong with your decision at all. I like to watch deer from my stand and watch a lot more of them than I shoot every year.
    Absolutely correct; nature being a cruel mistress the fawns are self reliant for sure by now or they will die with or without momma around. Causing orphans didn’t stay my hand so much as enjoying watching them and the hunt of the kill; the kill will come , hopefully many. I to like to see more deer than I kill; this is a permanent stand in my best place only hunted a handful of times a year so there will be a day for red arrows.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by clintsfolly View Post
    Sounds like a very successful hunt! Lot of season left to find a meat deer! Good luck!!
    Hello old friend! Yes a long season; and I consider it success to see deer in bow range and they don’t know your around. It sharpens the skills to know you could kill but didn’t.

Boolit Buddy
    I use to hunt a lot back in the day . Would get up early go find a good " cozy " spot out of the wind ,, lay my rifle down w/ the barrel pointed toward my feet ,, and sleep till time to eat ,, when ask if I seen any deer ,,, uh , well no not a dad- blame thing . I didn't go to kill ,, just to be w/ friends and get away . I totally respect your decision ,, the deer "God's " will reward you ,don't ever change .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Hello old friend! Yes a long season; and I consider it success to see deer in bow range and they don’t know your around. It sharpens the skills to know you could kill but didn’t.
    "Counting coup".

There is plenty of time left.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Maybe it is because I am more aware of my own mortality, hunting has become more about the "Hunt" and less about the "Kill" in the last few years. I get licenses when I am lucky enough to draw. But if that license goes unfilled and I got to spend some quality time in the outdoors, it was still a quality hunt. A large percentage of the "Shots" I have taken in recent years have been with a camera - not limited to a quota or bag limit or even species and a good time is had! Good job on passing on Mama doe!. I do have to say that a good young dry doe is about as good as it gets for table fare!

Boolit Grand Master

There’s a big difference between killing and be a responsible conservatoire of the land. You are a true outdoorsman and that experience will provide you with richness far more than any money or gold could ever buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast