WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 788 Remington

Boolit Grand Master

I've modified several M788 triggers. O take them apart, d&T for a weight adjustment and a sear engagement screw then lightly hone the engagement surfaces. I've adjusted them down to 18 oz with complete reliability. It's not hard to do if you understand "triggernomitry" and have some skill with such tools.

I also thought the bolt handle problem was solved early on when Remington started using the same attachment process as on the M700. I've not seen a bolt handle come off one of the later ones at all. My M788 in .308W has been used in all sorts of cold weather down to sub 0 without problem. The barrel is about shot out though. I also disagree that the action stretches with the firing of full power loads. I've loaded amny a round using a Lee Target loader for both the M788 and my Target M70. Both require minimal FL sizing after 8-10 firings for easy chambering. This is with full power .308W jacketed bullet loads. I also never had any case stretch problems with the .222, several .223s, a 22-250 and a .243W I had.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I also disagree that the action stretches with the firing of full power loads.

Larry:
    I ain't gonna stomp my foot and argue - Otteson says it stretches and that it's an easy calculation to make. I very much respect his engineering knowledge, but I doubt that he can calculate for every variable, especially the ability of the case walls to reduce bolt thrust which (based on what I've read) can vary a lot from case to case.
    I HAVE seen with my own eyes a couple of rifles (NOT 788s) that suffered from generous headspace and would show visibly protruding primers on fired cases from starting loads all the way up to very near maximum loads. Those fired cases with their protruding primers didn't stretch to fill the chamber - and I'd guess that means the bolt thrust was at or very near zero - again on loads up to within a few grains of book maximum. At least in some circumstances the tensile strength of the case walls can seriously reduce bolt thrust.
    I think it's fair to say that those rear locking lugs make a 788 more likely to give case stretching than most front locking actions - but that's hardly a major design flaw. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the thick rigid receiver walls required by rear lockers are a factor in the 788s near-legendary accuracy potential.
    I'm not stomping on 788s - I have personally never seen one fail. Indeed, I have a friend who's hunted deer with a 788 in .308 for maybe 30 years and he's convinced it's a durn fine rifle. And why wouldn't he be? It's never given him a bit of trouble, has bagged truckloads of venison and remains VERY accurate. I'm just saying that in areas like overall ruggedness, primary extraction and the ability to handle corroded or dirty ammo or plain abuse it probably falls short of some other designs. Keep it clean and feed it right and I'd bet it'll serve the average hunter for generations.
    Uncle R.

And a factor in that is that the case shoulder is not touching the chamber. Simply backing out the sizing die to make the shoulder (real headspace) contact the chamber wall would have solved the problem, for reloads but not factory.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    And a factor in that is that the case shoulder is not touching the chamber. Simply backing out the sizing die to make the shoulder (real headspace) contact the chamber wall would have solved the problem, for reloads but not factory.
    <
    Absolutely - and after the new brass was fire-formed I did just that. It saves on trimming and extends case life dramatically. The curious part is - BOTH of those rifles gave disappointing results on target and I never got either of them to shoot better than fair-to-middlin' with any load I tried. One's long since gone down the road - the other's a safe queen that I haven't quite given up on although I never seem to find the time to work with it. Some Day...
    Uncle R.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not wanting to stomp a foot over it either. I read a lot of things written in gun books about numerous things based on the authors opinion. Only saying his expert opinion is probably based on rear lock up actions like the SMLE that can give problems. Most gun writing "experts" made that initial assumption on the M788.

My experience with numerous M788s and the actual experience of all who use them pretty much disproves the action stretching at normal cartridge pressures. The Colt Saur with rear lock up is another action all the writers gave a "the action will stretch so it's not good for reloading" bum wrap. It was a good action and didn't stretch either but the writers predjudice against rear lockup actions gave it the bum wrap and it didn't sell well. The M788s price and remarkable accuracy soon overcame the writers bum wrap and soon they were singing praises and then sang the swan song when the M788 was discontinued.

Like I said I've had the one in .308W long enough to have shot the barrel out. I'm seriously thinking of a Shilen Palma match barrel with 14" twist and a long neck .308 or even just a plain .358W with 14" twist. To many decisions......

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Here is a note to remember I said I have 2 one in 308 and a 223 . When I bought the 223 I was thinking about the ammo. All that military stuff. Dont use it in the 788 , I shot 2 rounds and had a tight bolt both rounds. I didnt break it but I did go to reg 223 ammo. I have used the brass as reloads and never had problem. I dont have any military 308 so wont be using that. rick

Boolit Master
    What I read about the 788 was with regards to bolt compression not action stretching.

With my .22-250 (788) I used the Lee Collet neck die after cases were fireformed to it's chamber ...... thus headspace was not an issue.

My point is that the 788 IS a fine rifle .......... it sold for a most reasonable price ....... it has STELLAR lock times ......... and a quite rigid receiver ...... no doubt accounting for it stellar accuracy (Remington hated the fact that the 788's often OUTSHOT the also stellar but flagship 700's ........ LOL!

But at the prices they go for these days ....... they are not a bargain ...... and there are some new rifles that give it a real run "for it's money" ..........

The exception being chamberings in .30-30 and .44 mag ........ not many real peers to those AND I would dare say .... bolt compression would hardly be a issue in those milder cartridges either.

And I believe it's also safe to say that the .22-250 case represents the worst combo for the 788 so far as advancing compression as it's body taper is robust and pressures running high.

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-04-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

three44s

Certainly agree with you there. The one 22-250 I had I used the same loades as I use in my M700. I was neck sizing for both and had to partial FL size the same for both. That is a pretty stout bolt in the M788. I think it would take more pressure to "compress" it than I want to shoot in any cartridge...not that I'm chicken mind you but my mamma raised no fool...or at least I think so! Any ways I think the whole action stretching or the bolt compressing is a non-issue. They are fine rifles and I used to get them just to experiment with different cartridges. They were inexpensive and actually cost less that rebarreling a "quality" action. It's really unbelieveable the prices I've seen some go for these days.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    It's a rather slim hope, but deer season lasts for another week and a half here in PA. Every year, some hunters dump their rifle to get money for Christmas. Not something I'd recommend, but it's their choice. Time to start watching the classifieds. I'd love to stumble upon a 336 in 35 Rem. Maybe for $150?
    Bob K

My grandfather gave me my 788 in .308. Who knows how many deer he took with it before giving it to me. I like it because it is a light rifle and easily toted all day. I only have had two minor complaints with mine. My bolt's face is a little rough - tool marks from machining. Secondly, the follower in the mag occasionally gets hung up on the body and the last round has to be pushed down to free it, allowing it to pop up so it can properly feed.

Boolit Master

Nice Find !!.....
    I had a 788 in 22-250 which I found in a pawn shop for $175.00....the blue was poor but it turned out to be a very sweet shooting rifle....I hung a Burris 12x on it and it was a total tack driver. Even the stock trigger was sweet.

I've had three 788's, two in 308 and one in 223. All three were as accurate as I could shoot them. I only have one left, a carbine length 308. I don't think I will ever part with it. No matter what other guns I have to play with, if I really have to hit something, I get out the 788. It does really well with 160 and 180 cast lead GC bullets from my Lee molds. Before I discovered SR 4795 I used a reduced load of Unique. Once I double charged a case - oops ! I had to beat the bolt handle open and beat the case off the bolt because the brass had extruded into the ejector hole. I still have the case as an object lesson, it has a little tit on it from where it extruded. I only use SR 4759 now, so a double charge would be impossible to miss when it overflows the case. (I would like to try AA 5744...) But the 9 rear lugs on the bolt held tight and saved my bacon, and it shot fine after that, with no evidence of the bolt being set back. The only other problem I had was my fault too. I hit a coyote too far back. He looked dead, but when I picked him up, he tried to bite me ! I didn't want to shoot him again at powder burn range, so I fell back on my "television training" and hit him in the head with the butt of my .223 788. The bolt shot right out ! The riveted-in extractor had broken off on the cartridge rim and somehow the bolt rotated and exited the receiver. But, like I said, both problems were my fault, and, ahem, took place long ago in my foolish and misguided youth...

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Riveted-in extractor? Really?

If memory serves, which sometimes it no longer does...I will have to look.

Hey, at least part of my memory still works. Look here:
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=0860z788
    Check out parts 57 and 58, extractor and extractor rivet.

Boolit Master

they are pinned in with a pin that looks like a rivet so it IS a rivet just like the 700 shotman

In Remebrance

Mt trigger was done per the Rifle instructions. I had a beautiful trigger when I got done. The issue was the pot metal didn't hold up when I tightened the trigger down. The area where the pin securing the assy to the recv'r broke away. I didn't reef on it either. Perhaps my articular trigger housing was defective? At any rate, with a scarcity of triggers and a factory adjustable avaialble.... seems a simple answer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reloader06 View Post
    Some times you're the bug, sometimes you're the windsheild. Now if I could just find a 7-08 that's not a carbine life would be real good!

Matt
    Is there such thing as a non carbine 788 in 7-08? I have one in the carbine but have never seen
    a full length.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen one. The guy wouldnt part with it for love nor money. This was 15-20 years ago. He never even shot the thing. AARRRGGGHHH! He wasnt even a "collector" , he just had it but the ammo was to expensive. If I can find a carbine for the right price, I might be tempted. Please keep your eyes open for one.

Matt

Boolit Master

I know there are 3 barrel lengths I dont know if they were for certain cal or not I have a 24" on the 223 and a 22" on the 308 and have a 18" 7mm-08 barrel. It appears that all the stocks were the same.I have not seen a 44mag so not sure about those.
    Last edited by shotman; 12-09-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: change