Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K-31 Ka-boom

Boolit Master
    Your thoughts have some merit. I think a different bullet design would solve the problem.
    That looks to be the lee designed for the 7.62x39?
    I went and bought one of the 6 bangers a while back, folks said it would work in the K31's. Mine don't like it. BTW mine did shave when the would chamber.
    Went back to the RCBS 165 sil bore rider. I waqs tempted to go the 6 banger route on that on too. Then decided quality was better than quantity.
    I would sure like to have the same bullet that would drop at .310 and another at .313, with a proper sized nose for each.
    This particular design has worked very well to excellent in evrything it will fir properly in.
    jeff

It's an old Belding and Mull 311169. With lino it casts them at .313". Someday I'm going to get around to trying some in my Krag sized to .310" to fit the throat and their oversized bores. I'd sure like to be in on the autopsy of ka-boom, wonder just where that bullet is? I've done a bit more measuring, the warning in the old Hornady handbook about overloads being particularly dangerous in the Swiss rifles because the case head is not fully supported, is also viable in the K31. With Graf's brass there's about .060" that's unsupported. I like seeing the whole case head disappear into my Krags and Arisakas.

Boolit Buddy
    I apologize for this question being a bit OT, but since a number of Schmidt-Rubin shooters are here, I wish to inquire: several decades ago (1960's) Martin B Retting was offering for sale S-R's rechambered to 308 Win. Are these rifles still being encountered in the field? How did they perform? Thanks.

Boolit Master

Every once in a while a Schmidt-Rubin rechambered to .308 Win. comes up for sale on GunBroker. Something to be avoided IMO.
    Chuck

This one is 7.62x51 .. metric designation for .308 Win.

FrankenSchmidt is one of those "Alpine Sporters" of the 60's: a 96/11 shortened, barrel set back and rechambered to .308. This one sits in a K11 stock for the time being.

I have another of these in a Herter's stock; no pictures of that one.

I've been shooting the two S-R's (the K31 is not a S-R) for many years with no troubles. I don't attempt to hot rod them, and I don't shoot commercial ammo in them ... it costs too much and does not perform as well as my own handloads. GI Match does really well in them.

In any of the Swiss Straight pulls, extraction will get difficult before the pressure gets dangerous, so if you're working up loads as you should, that is a limiting factor. Neither the S-R nor the K31 will handle escaping gas very well, but the S-R will vent it to a better degree than the K31. Unfortunatly, most would go through the magazine.

Depending on what the intended charge was, a double charge of 2400 could cause that much damage with no other contributing factors. If the case neck has no room to expand and release the bullet in addition, then it has the makings of a bomb.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Last edited by Bob S; 10-30-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

big bang

that was a lead bullet.I would think that the lead would melt if hot enuf.also just squirt.the lead would not stand that pressure.I shoot a 1903 [1914 made]with 311291 as cast.and its a tack driver.I use Red Dot.
    no damage to barrel most to reciever.it was not the bullet.
    remember the jap that was rechambered to 30/06 with a 6.5 bore.and fired fine.
    WILDCATT

Quote Originally Posted by TAWILDCATT View Post
    that was a lead bullet.I would think that the lead would melt if hot enuf.also just squirt.the lead would not stand that pressure.I shoot a 1903 [1914 made]with 311291 as cast.and its a tack driver.I use Red Dot.
    no damage to barrel most to reciever.it was not the bullet.
    remember the jap that was rechambered to 30/06 with a 6.5 bore.and fired fine.
    Guys, it is a simple concept. The size of the bullet going down the bore is not the problem. The bullet being that oversized causes the cartridge neck to be pinched by the neck area of the chamber. If there is no clearance and there is forcing of the loaded neck into the chamber, causes a harder bullet pull from the cartridge neck, causing pressures to skyrocket.

I had a friend with a nice 98/09 Argentine Mauser in 7.65x54mm. He formed cases from .30-06 brass. He experienced high pressure because he did not check the loaded neck diameter of his reloads. It to open the bolt he had to use a hammer handle and the primers fell out of the brass. Whenever shortening cases or reforming cases, check the loaded neck diameter.

Be careful out there the reloading demons are at work.
    Doug Bowser
    Shooter of anything that has a trigger and shoots lead
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    NRA Instructor in pistol, rifle shotgun and Personal Protection
    NRA-USAS National Coach Development Staff
    NRA-USAS Level 2 International Pistol Coach
    President Mississippi NRA Association

I asked Wally Enga, he says he has fired thousands of .314 cast bullets through several K31s without incident, he didn't say how he got them to chamber, maybe he turns the necks of his cases. But from that it appears maybe we're looking at a double charge. The unsupported portion of the case wouldn't handle the pressure. Concerning the 6.5 Arisaka that shot 30/06, the case head of that round would have been surrounded by the steel of the chamber or I imagine the pressure needed to swage that .30 caliber bullet down to 6.5 would have ruptured the case like this one. Without more facts, we can but speculate. Although it raises pressures, a neck that doesn't expand a bit to release the bullet isn't going to stop the bullet from going. Benchresters that use custom cut necks in their chambers will tell you that, so can I as I have made 6.5 Jap cases from LC 308 brass and turned the necks so that there is no expansion upon firing, after firing you can't put a bullet back in the case by hand. Loads have to be adjusted accordingly.

In Remebrance

I've rear and re-read all this. I'm of the opinion it was probably a overcharge. The K31 is adequate for high pressure loads, but an over charge of a fast powder would be beyond the brasses capability. I've routinely shot "oversized" cast boolits in a variety of guns. While this example is on the large side, I question if it would cause this. Now, a combination of the large boolit and an overcharge....kablooie! That unsupported section let go and the gas did the rest.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Given the squareness of the beginning of the throat, I'm wondering if all those folks are shaving lead there, and perhaps taking the chance that a gascheck will snag there and produce a pressure spike.
    I believe my K-31's chamber end ledge shaves what's over .308", and that's what I size my boolits to.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    I asked Wally Enga, he says he has fired thousands of .314 cast bullets through several K31s without incident, he didn't say how he got them to chamber, maybe he turns the necks of his cases. But from that it appears maybe we're looking at a double charge.
    Well not exactly what I said about this incident --- but I have fired 314299 C/B's
    thru several of my K31's by tapering the front drive bands down until they will chamber with no indication of any noticable pressure increase in the quite low pressures we have with cast bullets for target shooting --- velocities of only 1200 to 1700 fps. My normal target cast bullet in the K-31 is either the RCBS-165 SIL or Lyman 311672 sized at 310.

I can't claim to have any real expertise in the failure mode of this K31, but I will give you my personal opinion on this incident.

I don't think the factor that the cast bullet was sized to .314 had any bearing in this case

Two possible scenarios for this failure mode --- the first and most likely, a double charge of his 2400 load, which would result in a real dangerous pressure range.

The other possibility is that the bolt cam follower plate lug tip broke off and allowed the rifle to fire with the bolt locking lugs out of battery.

Wally

Am also leaning towards the double-charge scenario here, & very glad to not hear of any serious injury from this record book-class catastrophic failure.

Do hope that by now ya have impounded & pulled-down any remaing live rounds from that same loading session .....

Couple Things

Thanks fo rposting this since its a real life situation that can and does happen.

I agree about the bullet size, seems too large. But I also think that the observation about the out of battery situation is contributory. I had a couple of these rifles and tho they are accurate shooters, I'm not a big fan of straight pull. I also think there are inherent problems with venting in the design. Nonetheless I'm not chatting to annoy people who are fans of these rifles.

When I was first working up loads for these rifles, I noticed quickly that with the short throats, bullets need to be seated rather deep. I remember a couple times at the range when the bolt wasn't into battery...its very hard to tell, and I pulled the trigger and heard a click. On one occasion, rather than retracting the bolt, I hit it with the palm of my hand to seat it and the gun went off. I did this twice, before I learned it is uncool to try and put the bolt into battery once the trigger has been pulled. Its very easy to think the bolt is in battery on these rifles when it is not.

Hard to tell all that happened here, but the bolt outta of battery situation is something that K31 shooters need to be aware of. I sold mine. Don't miss 'em one bit.

Smile

Very true about problems getting the bolt fully closed and locked. The firing pin's supposed to be blocked in that situation so it can't hit the primer, and the blow of the falling striker drives the bolt into battery. Usually it'll then fire on recocking and trying again. But tight fitting cast boolits make it a lot harder to fully close the thing. The oversize bore riders on my Lee C309-200-R boolits often require a hard blow or two on the handle to finish the job, leaving my hand bruised. A tight boolit like that could stop the thing right on the margin of where it can fire, without being fully locked. And there's bound to be some variation among different rifles as to how much out of battery they can possibly be fired.

Personally, for now I've pretty much relegated my K-31 to jacketed bullets and shoot the cast in the much more tolerant chambers of my 1911 and 1896/11.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a question if the reciever is blown up does that make it a demil and legal to ship without a ffl.

Instant Demill

Yea, demilled in a fraction of a second. I would say yes, although it looks like there isn't much left to salvage other than the butt plate and the sights.

This rifle is best left just as it is, displayed where people can see it so they can understand the potential that exists when things go bad. 60,000 PSI whizzing around uncontrolled is a dangerous thing and seeing this is worth more than can be salvaged from the rifle at this point.

Boolit Mold

I bought the rifle.

Here's a slide show of the pictures and video I took.

http://news.webshots.com/slideshow/5...6PHBh99p5GLu2r

Nicely done!

Nicely done! According to some photos of sectioned cases I've seen on another board, done by parashooter, Norma cases have the thinnest heads. Just this guy's luck to happen to be using them. What of the boolit? Long gone? Any other helpful info offered by the unfortunate one? What I mean is, did he have the round chambered or was he hitting the bolt when it went off, things like that.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 09-13-2009 at 02:46 AM.

Boolit Master

I'm betting on one of two possibilities:
    1. Double charge of 2400.
    2. Right charge weight, wrong powder. I saw the remains of two Remington M700s where the reloader had set his measure correctly, but instead of Reloader 7 he used AA7.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    ...the reloader had set his measure correctly, but instead of Reloader 7 he used AA7.
    I've seen that confusion pop up in discussions on this board.

I have to be especially careful of the surplus WC860 and WC680 I have in identical white plastic jugs. I've mistyped one powder number for the other before.