WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Enlighten me on the pricing of used S&W

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Arsenal molds will make a custom mold for you.
    They made a 200gr SWC for me...they do excellent work.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lds&highlight=
    I had emailed Arsenal, but never got a response. I'll try calling tomorrow.

Boolit Man
    I keep looking at the S&W 16-4 and they're up there a ways. Not produced for many years, so that makes some sense. It's about to the point where I would not pay what's required to get any of the guns I used to own that were purchased when the prices weren't so inflated. Trading a silly-priced gun for a different silly-priced gun makes about the most sense to me now.

Banned
    In general the model 16's go for a lot of money simply because there were not a lot of them made in comparison to the other models. The dash 4 variant came out in 1977.

The other factor that drives the price up are the collectors that attempt to acquire an example of every model. If you are looking for one of the less popular models to fill that gap in your collection, you will pay more than someone that just wants a shooter. Collector's interest can drive the price of pristine rarer models into the stratosphere.

The value of something is only what someone else will give you for it. I don't begrudge collectors for engaging in their pursuits but just because someone else will pay a high price for an item doesn't mean I will.
    When someone asks a high price for a gun and attempts to justify that price by claiming the gun has collectors value, my response is, "find a collector that wants it".
    I'm not being rude, I'm just not in the same market.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    In general the model 16's go for a lot of money simply because there were not a lot of them made in comparison to the other models. The dash 4 variant came out in 1977.

The other factor that drives the price up are the collectors that attempt to acquire an example of every model. If you are looking for one of the less popular models to fill that gap in your collection, you will pay more than someone that just wants a shooter. Collector's interest can drive the price of pristine rarer models into the stratosphere.

The value of something is only what someone else will give you for it. I don't begrudge collectors for engaging in their pursuits but just because someone else will pay a high price for an item doesn't mean I will.
    When someone asks a high price for a gun and attempts to justify that price by claiming the gun has collectors value, my response is, "find a collector that wants it".
    I'm not being rude, I'm just not in the same market.
    I say just let them have them. My brand new S&W trigger has improved a ton from brand new, and seems to shoot well. I have yet to sit down and shoot groups off a rest. I see no reason the brand new S&W's are not every bit as good as the old. All you have to do is ignore or delete the internal lock. I plan to take mine out, but so far I could care less.

$825 brand new out the door or $1200+ for a half decent used gun. Now that i know the differences between the new and old guns, the choice is so obviously clear, I don't know why anybody besides a collector would buy used.

Boolit Man
    Buying used to get something they do not make currently is something you could know.