RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HARBOR FREiGHT

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    HF stuff is OK...if you watch what you are buying.....and need it ONLY for hobby/personal work. NOT for professional "make a living with it" use.

Be very careful with their battery powered tools. The batteries are carp! Very poor chemistry in there, And low maH ratings.

And tells you something when they ship a spare set of brushes with motor tools! Spare parts are darned near impossible to get. And they seem to change styles ever few months......depends on what falls out of the trucks in ChiCom country, I guess.

I have several of their big metal shop power tools (mills/horizontal band saw/small lathe) and they work OK....after a lot of tweeking and tinkering.

If you can afford the "good stuff" go for it. But HF stuff will do for general hobby work and "honey-do's"

banger

Boolit Buddy
    We have HF all over the place. Driving to work, I pass several. I have a number of their things, among them their 12" compound miter saw. It's nice. Their wrench and socket sets can are generally sufficient as well. I find their digital calipers not quite as smooth as I'd like. I bought one of their 12" disc grinders and it's a beast. You have to pick and choose. I did buy one of their hickory handled engineers hammers and it broke right off the bat. When I took it back (because it has a lifetime warranty), they took one look at it and gave me a new one. The new handle had been redesigned and was noticeably thicker in the problem area. So there's that. What a few people do is go ahead and buy their warranty extension and every three years of so, the tool "breaks" and they get a new one. No questions asked.

I have TWO of the benches. One is my main loading bench, other in ww shop. It's a bench, nothing fancy, but I couldn't buy southern pine 2x4s and build for the price.
    Not many electric tools, drill that is corded works ok, I've worn it out using with wire wheel..... about $9 well worth it. Battery tools, stay away from.....Same as Ryobi junk.
    They have introduced two new lines in each of their main categories, may be better, but I've not had the need. ALWAYS use a coupon unless prohibited (jacks come to mind) but then always wait on sale for those items...... Look close and most stuff is decent for single or occasional use.

Moderator Emeritus

I am a fan of the HF $99 Predator gas engines (Honda clone).
    If you search online reviews, people are using these on the Go-kart racing circuit, racers claim they are better than Honda. There are many online vendors selling aftermarket racing grade type parts for them.

I've mounted one an a troybilt tiller...bolted right up.
    I've mounted one on a Snapper Hi-Vac self-propelled push mower...bolted right up.
    I'm considering mounting one on a old Toro snow thrower...sounds like I need a $10 shaft adaptor, but will bolt right up after that.

The HF Predator isn't as quiet as a Honda, and sadly the Honda muffler doesn't bolt up...and all the aftermarket stuff is for racers and I haven't found one for quietness.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

HF tools make good "decoy" tools

Before I retired and was working at various jobsites. All the time, I'd get people asking to borrow tools. I couldn't really say NO, because I was a independent contractor and relied the full time employees for many things, So I needed to friendly and sharing and such. I have always used the best hand tools I could afford, always USA made, some were vintage...I like vintage

So after I lost a few prized tools to borrower's carelessness, I setup a "decoy" toolbox of HF tools and would borrow those out. One of the smartest things I ever did. The funny part is, none of those tools ever ended up missing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    i'm about to try wet tumbling my rifle and revolver brass.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-d...ler-67632.html

this is for rifle brass
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtTxBqOwtnA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    HF tools make good "decoy" tools

Before I retired and was working at various jobsites. All the time, I'd get people asking to borrow tools. I couldn't really say NO, because I was a independent contractor and relied the full time employees for many things, So I needed to friendly and sharing and such. I have always used the best hand tools I could afford, always USA made, some were vintage...I like vintage

So after I lost a few prized tools to borrower's carelessness, I setup a "decoy" toolbox of HF tools and would borrow those out. One of the smartest things I ever did. The funny part is, none of those tools ever ended up missing

i almost forgot about that one!!!!!!! i was no contractor, just a "hey youse" laborer. i always had guys that would come up to me and "borrow" a tool. i'd setup a knaack box and some really cheap tools. i'd just point to the knaack box, "pick your poison". come to think about it, i never had a missing tool again!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I am a fan of the HF $99 Predator gas engines (Honda clone).
    If you search online reviews, people are using these on the Go-kart racing circuit, racers claim they are better than Honda. There are many online vendors selling aftermarket racing grade type parts for them.

I've mounted one an a troybilt tiller...bolted right up.
    I've mounted one on a Snapper Hi-Vac self-propelled push mower...bolted right up.
    I'm considering mounting one on a old Toro snow thrower...sounds like I need a $10 shaft adaptor, but will bolt right up after that.

The HF Predator isn't as quiet as a Honda, and sadly the Honda muffler doesn't bolt up...and all the aftermarket stuff is for racers and I haven't found one for quietness.
    My BIL just put one of those on an old Tote-Gote with a hosed engine. I can't see anything wrong with it, starts on the first pull if you choke it,haha. Brought that old Gote back to life, now we need to find a new belt for it.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Buddy

Just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I bought their 3 ton floor jack, it works great, and was less than $200 out the door.
    I have a 2 ton I bought in the early '80's from HF that still works great and I have used the heck out of it. 4" electric grinder I have to smack on the floor to get it to run. Some things better than others for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    I use HF for a few things as I dont spend $ for seldom used tools. With that in mind I got a$30 HF circular saw for the intent of cutting paver bricks thinking the cement dust would kill the saw before the project was done, that saw did that job and has been used for several other cement cutting jobs over the last 8 years and it still is working. Some times the name makes no difference in durability.
    Shaune509

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have found that harbor freight tools are OK for the most part I shop there a lot. It seems everything is made in China even 20 years ago as a machinist I bought a 24 inch veneer caliper for less than I could have bought the steel it was made of. As long as countries sell at a loss they will continue to put us companies out of business. I must say I looked at us made calipers and they were 20 times the price. By the way still using that caliper.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    i'm about to try wet tumbling my rifle and revolver brass.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-d...ler-67632.html

this is for rifle brass
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtTxBqOwtnA
    Bought a HF Tumbler and has lasted for a couple of years as did the dry tumbler.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

BTW: I bought a HB Generator, a 2400 watt portable for 25% of a price of the Honda on sale with the coupon. It is far heavier but starts all the time and works great. I'd recommend one to anyone who needs a cheap generator for hunting camp. I use mine to power the freezers/fridge in case of a power outage.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum