RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Mold Cleaning

Mold Cleaning

I have purchased several used Lyman molds but they all look like a good cleaning is needed before casting. Any suggestions for cleaning cast-iron molds?

Boolit Master
    A good stiff brisle brush, NOT WIRE, hot soapy water, brake cleaner.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Le Loup Solitaire

cleaning molds

Definitely a good stiff bristle brush. The following solvents are good for getting crud out of the mold; paint or lacquer thinner, and acetone. None of these are good for you to breathe so try and do the cleaning in a well ventilated area. Sometimes it is necessary to soak the mold blocks in one of the above solvents, overnite or longer. For getting into tight places like the lube grooves...sharpen and ordinary lead pencil and use the point. Graphite is good for the mold and is very mildly abrasive (will not harm the mold in any way) and will get any very fine crud out of cracks and corners. Pull out any screws and oil the threads befoe reseating them; it won't effect the mold cavities. Lead smears can be very carefully removed with a single edge razor blade held at a low angle so as not to scratch any surface. Lead smears can also be removed by rubbing the smear with the sharp corner of a lead ingot. Keep any pointed or sharp thing/object away from the cavities and never use a metal brush in any mold cavity. do not overtighten your sprue cutter/plate; it should not be sloppy loose on top of the mold blocks, but it should swing freely of/on its own weight. Use the pencil point for cleaning around the bases of the mold seating pins and in their mating holes as even the smallest buildup will interfere with the mold halves from completely closing. For storing the molds there are various systems and practices used by many different folks. There are many threads and posts on this forum that deal with that subject. You can look them up at your leisure, but for the moment lets get your molds cleaned up. Enjoy your molds and casting. LLS

I use a toothbrush and Ivory bar soap in hot water. Brush the toothbrush across the bar af soap and scrub the sprue plate and both blocks...twice or more depending on amount of grunge left behind by the last owner. Rinse in clean hot water, wipe off with a towel and use cotton swabs thru the handle pin holes in each block to get all the water out. No chemicals needed.

I always try them w/o smoking the cavities first, as an occaisional new-to-me mould will cast good boolits with no further coaxing.

Cast Boolits Owner

I use cheap carb cleaner with a old stiff toothbrush to clean my moulds before use. When I am done using them, while they are slightly warm to the touch, I spray them down with light weapons oil then stick them in a open ziplock bag with the handles hanging out. Even though I live in Florida I never have a problem with rust.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    MEK and coleman fuel are both good. On iron or mehanite, I've had success with both a bronze and nylon bristle tooth brush. As mentioned, lead pencil works great. Spray brake parts cleaner is a good finish to wash off anything that's left.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a small brass brush on mine but I brush gentaly not real hard. It is hard to tell what it would take to clean yours without knowing what it is covered with. Might try a pencil, it actually works good on light rust. A carpenters pencil would be better. Just draw over the mould with the lead and you can do the cavities too, completely. Then remove with an eraser. Carb cleaner works good too. You might try heating it up and using it if it isn't too bad. Some of the stuff comes off easier when it is hot.
    Aim small, miss small!

Thanks for the good advice guys. I bought some cleaners and some contractors pencils. Now all I have to do is the tender loving care.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I use purple power personally.

I bought a couple used moulds at a gun show that were real grungy ($5.00 ea). Sprayed them with laundry presoak, and run them through the dish washer. Cleaned up real well.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Spot Shot claims to instantly remove stains without scrubbing. Spot Shot even claims to effectively and instantly remove old stains. Spot Shot is said to remove coffee, cola, mud, shoe polish, lipstick, motor oil, pet stains, red wine, grape juice, blood, and grease from carpets. This is quite a claim for any carpet stain removal product.

I started using it for cleaning brass and my molds
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Spot Shot claims to instantly remove stains without scrubbing. Spot Shot even claims to effectively and instantly remove old stains. Spot Shot is said to remove coffee, cola, mud, shoe polish, lipstick, motor oil, pet stains, red wine, grape juice, blood, and grease from carpets. This is quite a claim for any carpet stain removal product.

I started using it for cleaning brass and my molds

You get lipstick on your molds?????

Jerry

Only the ones that he really likes.......
    Rick

Moderator Emeritus

B-12 Chemtool works pretty well too or Micro-90.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/