MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIN 1894 double set trigger

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

WIN 1894 double set trigger

On ebay there is an auction for a WIN 1894 Double set trigger, auction #132472327332.

I thought a DOUBLE set trigger indicated 2 levers, one to set the trigger and the other to fire the gun. Can someone explain to me how the trigger in that auction works? Honestly, to me it looks just like normal 1894 trigger parts, but there are 11 bids on it so I guess someone knows a lot more about it than I do, which of course, is nothing new.

The description states it was found in a drawer marked WIN 1894 double set trigger. I'm wondering if those were the original parts removed from the rifle in which the set trigger was installed. If so, someone is going to be rather unhappy, to say the least.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Right now, there is a 1894 in 38-55 for sale on Gunbroker. It has the set trigger, and is priced accordingly. The pictures are very good, and would appear to show a very different set up than is shown in the ebay auction. In the ebay auction, the back of the trigger blade looks to have too much metal on it, for a second blade to be used with it.
    I'm not an expert, these are just my observations.

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    If you do a parts comparison you should notice there are parts that are not the same.
    Especially the hammer.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Looking at those parts a bit more I am wondering if maybe they are not a single set trigger which was the standard Winchester set system up to about 1893 or so. Seems the single set was a bit more fragile possibly do to the parts themselves.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I own a a 1894 with DBL Set Triggers !! What your looking at is a Single set trigger !!!! the later / last design ... The set trigger is cool to use when they
    are in working good condition !!!! The Price is right for the single set !! the DBL set should bring up to $2500 !!!! Why they parted the action out who
    knows !!!!

Ol Deuce

Last edited by OlDeuce; 01-22-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    Thank you folks for the education.

That's one thing a person can count on here on Cast Boolits, someone will invariably have the answer to a question, whatever it may be.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned
    There never were any double set triggers on any Winchester lever gun. (see Madis) Single sets were available. Double sets were available on the low/high wall single shots.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-96 Hunter View Post
    There never were any double set triggers on any Winchester lever gun. (see Madis) Single sets were available. Double sets were available on the low/high wall single shots.
    I assume from your statement you are referring to "offered and made by" Winchester because there certainly are examples of DSTs on various models of Winchester lever actions. Would these then be after market, and if so who made them?

Than my 1894 must be worth a ton .!.!.! The single set (only 1 trigger hanging down & 1 little screw) started with the 1873 lever gun! The Double Set Trigger
    ( 2 little triggers hanging down & 1 little screw ) was in fact made by Winchester !!!! The 1894 had one (1) Rifle made with the 2 set trigger as you were speaking of on the 1885 Single shot!!! Yup

Ol Deuce

[url=https://postimg.org/image/b3kug8ko9/][/url
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 01-23-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    I dont know Madis - but I have in my hand an original winchester catalog that says different - it lists (on page 86) "Extras For Winchester Rifles."
    Set Triggers on Repeating Rifles, model 73 ...$3.30 (this is elaborated elswhere as single set)
    Double Set Triggers on Models 86,92,94,.......$4.00 (definitely Double set triggers on a Winchester Lever gun says it several places in this catalog)
    Regular Set Triggers on Single Shot Rifles......$2.75
    On page 101 it appears you can send a rifle back to the factory to be fitted with set triggers - charges as above for the work - plus parts cost on double set for a 94 is $5.50
    Cant help ya with the year of this book as the first three pages are gone - model 86 is listed in 45/70 and 33win only and there are references to nickel steel barrels - but the 73 is still listed for sale new - as are rimfire cartridges for 44henry, 56/50 spencer, 44swiss - I am guessing 1910-1915??

Hmmm...............????????? M-96 isn't a Winchester Lever Person !!!! Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Set Triggers on Repeating Rifles, model 73 ...$3.30 (this is elaborated elswhere as single set)
    Double Set Triggers on Models 86,92,94,.......$4.00 (definitely Double set triggers on a Winchester Lever gun says it several places in this catalog)
    Regular Set Triggers on Single Shot Rifles......$2.75
    Just like my 1899 catalogue, except that the prices are $3, $3 and $2 respectively, suggesting that your catalogue is a later one. I don't have the Madis book, but he is generally reliable, and I would guess that either he was talking about a particular point in time, or versions of the rifle you could buy ready-made.

Boolit Master
    I have a 76 with a single set trigger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have a 76 with a single set trigger.
    Ahhh that would be nice ! what Calibre?

I've seen the single set trigger come up for sale every once in a while !! Wonder if they would fit the Uberti 1876 ?????? Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    I've seen the single set trigger come up for sale every once in a while !! Wonder if they would fit the Uberti 1876 ?????? Ol Deuce
    mmmm its a thought - theys a lot of little fiddly parts in that assembly though - the trigger on my uberti was atrocious when I got it - bee u tiful lookin rifle - almost unshootable because of the trigger - gotta wonder about people sometimes - they copied that thing faithfully - then they sprung that trigger so heavy its just awful - didnt think about it either - I almost fixed mine real easy - just took the tension off the spring - yeah that little screw on the bottom tang is meant to do that - but when I got it slacked off and the trigger nice - the dang mainspring walked forward out of the little retaining notch after about fifteen shots - I didnt want to grind the mainspring down so I got the dremel tool and a diamond burr and changed the angle inside that notch just a little - If I was working at uberti I could fix this forever so easy - it would add about one minute to the manufacturing process - they could send the trigger out lawyer proof and we could adjust it to our hearts content without any grinding - **** like this is just aggravating!!!

Boolit Master
    Heard of em. Never seen one.
    Single set trigger: A slight push forward to its click> set's the trigger to its sear break.
    Double set: Rear trigger pulled to its click >sets the front trigger to its sear break.
    Little adjusting screw simply reduces the Set Trigger pull weight. (Not pounds but Newton measurements thru _too_ >Hair trigger)

This is for sale on the bay LoL https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-...IAAOSwu0hZc-PF

For the price of $599 It would break the bank for a doodad but I think the price is right !!!!
    Ol Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    mmmm its a thought - theys a lot of little fiddly parts in that assembly though - the trigger on my uberti was atrocious when I got it - bee u tiful lookin rifle - almost unshootable because of the trigger - gotta wonder about people sometimes - they copied that thing faithfully - then they sprung that trigger so heavy its just awful - didnt think about it either - I almost fixed mine real easy - just took the tension off the spring - yeah that little screw on the bottom tang is meant to do that - but when I got it slacked off and the trigger nice - the dang mainspring walked forward out of the little retaining notch after about fifteen shots - I didnt want to grind the mainspring down so I got the dremel tool and a diamond burr and changed the angle inside that notch just a little - If I was working at uberti I could fix this forever so easy - it would add about one minute to the manufacturing process - they could send the trigger out lawyer proof and we could adjust it to our hearts content without any grinding - **** like this is just aggravating!!!
    When I bought my '76 the trigger was almost perfect!!! I've never done a thing to it ....the whole package works so nice!! both my 1 of 1000 Henry and this
    '76 are within a few numbers of each other.. Early Uberti rifles !!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Heard of em. Never seen one.
    Single set trigger: A slight push forward to its click> set's the trigger to its sear break.
    Double set: Rear trigger pulled to its click >sets the front trigger to its sear break.
    Little adjusting screw simply reduces the Set Trigger pull weight. (Not pounds but Newton measurements thru _too_ >Hair trigger)
    Overmax
    the winchester double set was different - if ya look close at the pics posted earlier ya notice there very little room between the two triggers - nobody gonna get a finger in there to pull it back - no - those ones hung close like that ya pushed forward on the rear trigger to set it then use the front trigger to fire - same action as a single set .. I never had one to play with and havent looked close enough at the parts drawing to figure this - but can you fire these guns without setting the trigger??? ... guess I am thinkin aboot that "oh ****e" moment in a bear charge or the likes...... ya know ... just before he takes the first bite ya realise ya just pumped five live rounds out cuz they wouldnt fire........................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast