PBcastcoRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breaking hogs from killing chickens.

In Remembrance

breaking hogs from killing chickens.

Something on another thread reminded me of this.

I know of three different ways that supposedly worked.

When my dad was young and still on the farm, they had a boar that would kill every chicken that got in his pen.
    He caught a big old owl with a broken wing and threw it in the pen with the old boar., he just did it, he wasn't thinking it would cure the boar from killing chickens. He claimed that hog was still sqealing at 2 in the morning because that owl had latched on to it's nose with both feet. lol
    He claimed it would run to the other side of the pen when a chicken got in it's pen after that.

I heard (didn't see) of a farmer that slit his hogs eyelids, so that they were on the bottom of their eyes, supposedly anytime they looked down at a chicken their nose was on the ground, so they couldn't catch them.

This one I did verify.
    My wifes grand dad hung a dead chicken up by a live 110 volt wire in the hog pen for a couple of days. After that when they fed the hogs, all the chickens would jump in and eat their fill, while the hogs stayed up against the other side of the pen, waiting for the last chicken to leave before they would eat.lol

Hogs are no dumber, or smarter than their masters.

In Remembrance
    Raised a lots of hogs, but never heard of a hog master. lol

Boolit Master
    Hogs will eat you,if given the opportunity.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    He caught a big old owl with a broken wing and threw it in the pen with the old boar., he just did it,

I heard (didn't see) of a farmer that slit his hogs eyelids, so that they were on the bottom of their eyes,
    The electricity idea sounds fair enough, although electric fence voltage might be better. But there are a couple of farmers who deserve to have an owl on their noses or eyelids slit.

Boolit Master
    If your hogs eat your chickens turn them into ham and bacon.
    Problem solved.

Boolit Master

A .22 short between the eyes and about an inch high usually works. Have the scalding box ready.

Banned

I wouldn't want to be the guy who messed with an injured owl. If it didn't tear you limb from limb (which it probably would), they are protected on all kinds of levels and the feds would have you paying fines for the rest of your life.

Boolit Grand Master
    shoot the **** hog
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance
    richdog66, the deal with the owl would have been in the late 40's, very early 50's at the latest, owls may have been protected then, but even if they were I doubt many farmers paid much attention to it.

White eagle, most farmers that raise hogs, probably feel like the hogs are worth more than chickens. lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I wouldn't want to be the guy who messed with an injured owl. If it didn't tear you limb from limb (which it probably would), they are protected on all kinds of levels and the feds would have you paying fines for the rest of your life.
    The Bald Eagle....I hear on the news of them being shot all the time here in Tennessee. Never hear of anyone being prosecuted. Ought to have their test tickles cut off.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

Hogs ate our chickens all the time when I was growing up. Dad didn't seem too worried about it.

One thing he did do,and I cannot remember why. He fed them coal,(the hogs,not the chickens).
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

HOGS AND COAL??? HAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha
    I wish I had thought to take a photo when i was starting up the smoker a couple of weeks ago.
    I made my starter pile of charcoal and set the pecan and hickory to the side, put the carcoal back in the truckbed, and went to the house for a lighter.
    When I returned my girls (donkeys) were nose down in the charcoal bag munching black treats.
    The expressions when I asked 'em WHAT THE HECK???? were priceless... black dusty muffs, outstretched black crusty lips and GRUNGE dental work, all wrapped in a WHAAAT? Who, Me? expression...
    I laughed myself to tears, gave 'em carrots and sent 'em on... I had bacon to smoke.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    If you have a hawg . . . and you, the owner, are the "master" . . . . when you kill the hog does that make you a "hamster"?

Well, I see you fellas have been having a grand ol' time with my previous post. To be truthful, I never really thought about the 'Hog Master' thing . . . .

The point I was attempting to make, but apparently failed at, was there are many ways to keep the hogs and chickens separated.

Perhaps this would be simpler?

Boolit Master
    Animals eat charcoal and probably coal because it kills worms. When I would burn brush in the hog lot they would be crunching it up as soon as they could. White worms would fly.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

In Remembrance
    We always used lye to worm the hogs, they might have prefferred charcoal.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about commercial charcoal but black charcoal from a campfire heals the runs and white ash fixes constipation.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

After owls invaded my deer blind a few years ago it opened my mind to why people might not like them. We elected to leave them alone and let them leave when the little one was ready but OMG they’re foul nasty animals. These were big ‘uns, wingspan of about three feet and accordingly sized droppings. The entire floor of a 4x8 blind was covered with whatever they dropped and regurgitated. Prior to that I thought that they were pretty cool birds. Not so much any more.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

In Remembrance
    Owls have always been the perfect SSS species.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast