Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find a good mold for 7.62x39 for an ak-47

Boolit Buddy

Trying to find a good mold for 7.62x39 for an ak-47

I will be buying an ak47 hopefully within the next few months. I've been looking at molds and for now will be trying the lee 312-155-1r with gas checks. However I would like something closer to factory ammo weights. Anything between 120-130gn would be fine. Most of what I've read says the noe 314-135sp tends to jump the rifling when pushed close to jackets velocities. Which I'd like to obtain with a lighter mold. If I could get the noe 135gn bullet to 22-2400fps I'd be happy. Does anyone have Any recommendations? I've searched and haven't found much info aside from info on the lee molds and a lot of people having leading and other issues. Just trying to do.my research. I still have to learn all the differences in the ak models and figure all that out also. Thanks for any information.

I think you might have to get a mold made for that I would call MAGMA ENGINERING at 460-987-3301and have them make you one if you have a master caster you won't need handles if not tell them to make it so you can put handles on it they are good people to work with hope this helps have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year D Crockett

Get the Lee and run them around 1900 fps and I think you'll be happy. Should chug that AK like a locomotive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Stick with the C312-155-1R as it will give you very good performance at 1850 fps given the 10" or slightly faster twist of AKs.

"Most of what I've read says the noe 314-135sp tends to jump the rifling when pushed close to jackets velocities. Which I'd like to obtain with a lighter mold."

The inaccuracy which is blamed on cast bullets "stripping" or jumping the rifling is not caused by either because neither will happen. The inaccuracy is caused by too much RPM given the fast twist. Now some are going to say phooey and tell you all sorts of stuff. However, go ahead and try what they say and when you still get really bad accuracy no matter what you do at 2300+ fps (more like 2200 fps out of the AK's short barrel) then you'll go back to the Lee 155 gr bullet. But, if you want happiness and success right away stick with the Lee 155 gr bullet and load it over 24 - 28 gr H4895.

" If I could get the noe 135gn bullet to 22-2400fps I'd be happy."

If 5 - 6+ moa accuracy at 100 yards and maybe hit a yard square paper accuracy at 200 yards will make you happy give it a whorl......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Find a Lyman 311359 spirepoint gascheck mold if you want close to 123gr bullets after sizing, checking and lubing.

My advice, use the Lee 155gr mold and slow it down a little bit. No need to go 2400fps.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    I think I'll listen, needless to say I like to try my own things sometimes just to see. But im definitely going to start with the lee. Now I need to get my hands on some 4895. Right now I have h322 and imr4198 for rifle powders

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Stick with the C312-155-1R as it will give you very good performance at 1850 fps given the 10" or slightly faster twist of AKs.

"Most of what I've read says the noe 314-135sp tends to jump the rifling when pushed close to jackets velocities. Which I'd like to obtain with a lighter mold."

The inaccuracy which is blamed on cast bullets "stripping" or jumping the rifling is not caused by either because neither will happen. The inaccuracy is caused by too much RPM given the fast twist. Now some are going to say phooey and tell you all sorts of stuff. However, go ahead and try what they say and when you still get really bad accuracy no matter what you do at 2300+ fps (more like 2200 fps out of the AK's short barrel) then you'll go back to the Lee 155 gr bullet. But, if you want happiness and success right away stick with the Lee 155 gr bullet and load it over 24 - 28 gr H4895.

" If I could get the noe 135gn bullet to 22-2400fps I'd be happy."

If 5 - 6+ moa accuracy at 100 yards and maybe hit a yard square paper accuracy at 200 yards will make you happy give it a whorl......
    Well I'm going to say phooey Larry, but not the reason you think. It's pretty tough to get that higher velocity you speak of in the AK or SKS with that 155 grain bullet. Just not enough powder capacity. If you use some real fast powder then you get a pressure problem.

To the OP, yup get that LEE bullet as it was designed for 7.62x39.

Boolit Grand Master

Hard to get 1850 fps with the Lee 155 gr bullet out of an AK or SKS ......surely you are jesting....? I do it all day long with 27 gr H4895 and 28 gr H4895, SKS and AK......

A check of data in Lyman CBH #4 will show how it's done with several other powders.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Hard to get 1850 fps with the Lee 155 gr bullet out of an AK or SKS ......surely you are jesting....? I do it all day long with 27 gr H4895 and 28 gr H4895, SKS and AK......

A check of data in Lyman CBH #4 will show how it's done with several other powders.......
    I'm speaking of a higher velocity such as the velocities you claim the fast rifling twists affect the accuracy. We on the same page now? Oh, one more thing with some cases it's pretty hard getting that many grains of 4895 in without drop tubing, or you get a compressed load.

Boolit Grand Master

I use R-P, Winchester and IMI cases and have no problem getting that much H4895 in them w/o a drp tube.....don't even have a drop tube.........

As I advised the OP he can certainly try the 120 - 135 gr cast bullets (his choice) at the higher velocities which he mentioned. When he sees the inaccuracy of those cast bullets at his desired "22-2400 fps" he will understand why the 155 gr cast bullet at 1800 1850 fps is the best cast bullet for his AK.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Banned

I use R-P, Winchester and IMI cases and have no problem getting that much H4895 in them w/o a drp tube.....don't even have a drop tube.........

As I advised the OP he can certainly try the 120 - 135 gr cast bullets (his choice) at the higher velocities which he mentioned. When he sees the inaccuracy of those cast bullets at his desired "22-2400 fps" he will understand why the 155 gr cast bullet at 1800 1850 fps is the best cast bullet for his AK.
    Winchester cases were the first I purchased. I could never find the Remingtons. I got a lot of PMC and really like them. Now I can get more powder in my PMC cases, but not my Winchesters. Mine must be thicker then yours.

Yes that 155 grain LEE bullet is about the best there is for the 7.62x39. Feeds excellent with that pointy nose.

You know there are some of us who prefer going bigger instead, and slower. Lower the speed a third, raise the weight a third. Still get very similar energy downrange. But your not fighting that fast twist, by lowering the charge a bit your not fighting to get it all in the case either.

20 grains of IMR 4895 runs my SKS like a swiss clock. And while I would make no wild claims about MOA. It was nailing quarter sized pieces of broken clay pigeon off the 50 yard berm like nobody's business.

If you are willing to settle for crappy accuracy, and still have high speeds buy Wolf or tulammo.
    Larry already told you gospel truth. So go play with it until you figure out maybe he told ya true the first time.

Don't take my word for it. But I love that Lee .312 185 gr gc in my SKS. She likes them big, and set close to the rifling.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    You know there are some of us who prefer going bigger instead, and slower. Lower the speed a third, raise the weight a third. Still get very similar energy downrange. But your not fighting that fast twist, by lowering the charge a bit your not fighting to get it all in the case either.

20 grains of IMR 4895 runs my SKS like a swiss clock. And while I would make no wild claims about MOA. It was nailing quarter sized pieces of broken clay pigeon off the 50 yard berm like nobody's business.

If you are willing to settle for crappy accuracy, and still have high speeds buy Wolf or tulammo.
    Larry already told you gospel truth. So go play with it until you figure out maybe he told ya true the first time.

Don't take my word for it. But I love that Lee .312 185 gr gc in my SKS. She likes them big, and set close to the rifling.
    I've shot the Lyman 311284 and 314299 from my SKS's with very good results. I use to have a big list of 7.62x39 loads for heavy jacketed bullet loads, but lost it. It was good because you could substitute cast bullets.

Don't have an AK but I have been shooting cast lead in my SKS rifle for the last 12 or so years. I started out with the Lee .312" 160 gr. TL bullet and it's been very accurate for me in ever SKS I've tried it in. I also have the Lee .312" 185 gr. RN as well as an NOE 155 gr. FN all take a gas check which I install after I PC or while running them through the RCBS Lube A Matic. The bonus with these three molds is that the bullets do double duty in my Mosin rifles with excellent results as well.

My favorite powders are Alliant 2400 and Reloader #7 but I've used quite a bit of IMR or H-4895 with the heavier Lee 185 gr. bullet, it sure is a nice thumper on steel plates, IMR or H -4198 will work as well.

Left to Right Lee 160 gr. TL / NOE 155gr. FN / Lee 185 gr. RN

Boolit Master
    My SKS arms like the Lyman #311410, 130 grain plain base cast boolit and IMR4198.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Adam helmer
    I was going to try the 311410 but the velocities are fairly slow.

I cast and load for 3 calibers currently and do not have the funds to try other calibers at the moment so I figured I'd try other things in the calibers I currently load. I do not mean to say what someone has already done is not true or accurate in terms of data, but I also like to try it for myself. Primarily because I'm limited to what I can load for at the moment.
    Hopefully one day I can load for a plethora or firearms. But today isn't that day unfortunately. Thanks for the information everyone. Please keep it coming as it will all be helpful.

Boolit Buddy
    Also i thought about brass. A lot of the brass I have is ims or something like that, as well as a tiny bit of fiochi and pmc. Do you guys anneal these cases? And have you ever seen them I'm small pistol primer?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Strtspdlx View Post
    Also i thought about brass. A lot of the brass I have is ims or something like that, as well as a tiny bit of fiochi and pmc. Do you guys anneal these cases? And have you ever seen them I'm small pistol primer?
    Maybe you meant your brass is IMI, that's Israeli and dang good stuff. Yes a lot out there are small primer. PMC is very good too, but never had an Fiochi althought they make good products. I don't anneal mine as I haven't had the need to do so.

Boolit Master

Larry, or anyone else, how is the 160gr TL version of this bullet, as compared to the 155?

I’m not a big fan of tumble lubing but I powder coat now so I thought I’d see how the six cavity 312-160 TL mood works.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Larry, or anyone else, how is the 160gr TL version of this bullet, as compared to the 155?

I’m not a big fan of tumble lubing but I powder coat now so I thought I’d see how the six cavity 312-160 TL mood works.
    That bullet is stated as a TL bullet for the 7.62x39 so I don't see a reason you can't use it with powder coat. The important thing is that the nose fits the throat without having to deep seat it, which I don't perceive as a problem as it's for that cartridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast