MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: High end 1911's worth the price of admission?

I can shoot tight groups like that too gray wolfe...just never can get a good picture though...the muzzle flash keeps setting the targets on fire!

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Man
    My first 1911 was a cheap one back when I was a teenager. It was a ***. I have some friends with RIA's, they tend to be fine, but it is apparent they are not good about changing their barrel reamers before they get dull. I have seen several bad chambers, but, RIA is really good about replacing those bad barrels. So for the money, they are good guns.
    In 2011 I bought a 100 year anniversary Colt Rail gun. It has been the best 1911 I have ever owned, until now.

This year, after years of agonizing over the cost, I bought a Wilson Combat, built to my specs, etc. It took 2 months to arrive, and when I finally got it I fell in love. Mine is polished blue, and just beautiful. The most important thing? The way it feels in the hand, in my 40+ years I have held many 1911's. And this gun feels the best. They have a Ryan Wilson high grip gun mod or some such thing, and it makes the gun feel smaller, which for my medium sized hands is heaven. As much as I loved my Colt, it feels like gripping a 2X4 now.

That is the best way I can describe some "high" end weapons. The things they do might be very subtle, but they are exquisite. I am no more accurate, but I like how it feels and I shoot it more. So I think I will end up shooting it more accurately. Is it worth the money? To me yes, but to a person with kids and bills, I would say grab a less expensive 1911 and make it work. That is what I did for many years, that *** I bought was a LLama, and I would say stay away from those. But RIA's are fine. Springfield's are fine and I have had great luck with Colt. My luck with Kimber has not been fantastic, but there are those who love them.

This Wilson Combat will be the last 1911 I buy.
    HONOR
    If you need it defined, you don't have it.

Ron Swanson
    Pyramid of Greatness

Boolit Master

and I shoot it more. So I think I will end up shooting it more accurately.
    As for the above ? very good to excellent chance you are correct.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned
    my 1911-a1 is a remington-rand and it was made in 1944. my dad, ahem, "got it" a week or two before june 6(he was in the first wave). it stayed with him throughout the war and it came back with him. i don't know how many shots he took after the war, but it probably is several thousands. he gave it to me right before he died and i have 7-8000 more shots. people say it must be junk until i take them out to the 25 yard range and i shoot all seven bullets 2 - 3" off hand. it may look like a junker but it ain't.