RepackboxMCD ProductsInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee FCD and undersized bullets

Boolit Master
    I load .44 spl on Lee dies and for a Bulldog I needed to load .431" bullets, so I knocked out the carbide ring and just use the crimp. This works OK for the few .44 spl I use per year, if I were going to shoot of .44 spl I would get better dies.

Boolit Buddy

I've been loading 9mm for several (5+) years without a problem (or so I thought) - using Lee FCD. Recently tried using reloads in Ruger convertible and the rounds wouldn't chamber completely - about an eighth of an inch protruded from cylinder. With the help of DougGuy, found the problem was too much crimp at the mouth and was 'pushing' lead out above the case mouth. Couldn't really tell with the "naked" eye but definitely enough to measure. Original size was .356 - pulled bullet - about .360. The small amount pushed out was enough for it not to seat in the Ruger cylinder but not enough to have a problem in the 4 9mm semi autos I've been using them in. Accuracy was fine by the way - palm size groups at 25 yds and this is with 9mm sized to .356 with the 'over crimp'. I went back to the dies and started looking at the problem and found my decap / sizing die was sizing down too far - .340 with mic when it should be about .375. Fixed that by backing out the die then went to the seating die and found that also was 'over crimping' so backed it out until it measured .375-.376 after seating and "crimp". then went to the Lee FCD and backed it out so it just touched enough to ensure the bell of the case was removed and VIOLA, finished rounds at .377 outside diameter with no 'squishing' and exactly .356 on the pulled bullet. Passed the bench press test so I think I'm good to go - meets the plunk test but waiting to get my cylinder back from DougGuy to test with the cylinder that brought the problem to light originally.
    So I guess the point is, don't automatically blame the Lee FCD check the other dies too.