RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are WW a thing of the past?

Are WW a thing of the past?

Hey guys - I haven't posted in a week or so - been pretty busy, but I wanted to post in about some experiences I have had recently in my efforts to find a source of lead, and to that end, a source of wheel weights.

Keeping in mind that I don't yet have a casting setup, I'm still making inquiries about wheel weights, and in my area, there are a lot of tire stores and auto shops. The problem is that every time I ask, I get the same story: due to rules and regs, they can't give them out or even sell them to Joe Caster - they have to turn them over to the folks who come regularly to pick them up.

I've heard this story enough times now that I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth it to start doing my own casting - especially when I know of a source where I can get commercially cast bullets for a touch under 8¢ a bullet. If I have to start buying casting alloy, I can't buy it that cheaply, so what's the point?

Anyway, I have read that lead is getting harder to come by, but with so many tire shops in my area I figured that I could find at least one who would hook me up, but I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to because I don't have an inside track on any of them.
    --- Patrick G.

Check with your local Dentists and scrap yards. The dentists use a small lead film backing for x-rays that they have to pay to get rid of and real happy to give them away instead of paying. I got about 25 dentists in my area that I give plastic containers to and do a monthly visit and swap the full ones for emptys. They always have a smile on their faces when they hand them to me and so do I when I leave with 5 more pounds of NICE virgin lead. Also my local scrapyards have tons of lead for around .25-.75 per lb. and worth making a few weekly calls to see what they got in to sell you. Just a thought and may be worth checking out. Good luck.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you really want to start casting, spend more time checking tire shops and get the word out to your friends and family that you are looking for lead. Hit the "mom and pop" tire shops, most of them have no recurring pick up of used weights. I found one that had been simply storing them for years in an outbuilding. You only need to find one shop like that to acquire 2 to 10 buckets of wheel weights, and you're set for a while. Talk to contractor friends and let them know you need lead. They sometimes have scrap lead from replumbing or roof repairs. Wait until you have a supply before buying the casting equipment, there not much sense in having the tools before you have the materials.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Thanks for the encouragement guys. As an interesting side note, I have developed a very good rapport with my dentist. He's one of the nation's leading reconstructive dentists, and he published an article on the reconstruction of a tooth that I broke that had one of his fillings in it - it was kind of a quirky repair due to how it broke, which is why he published the article, but I digress. The point is, not only is this guy a great dentist, but he's also a great guy and I have no doubt that he'd probably give me the lead sheeting. However, one question on the lead sheeting - is it safe to use? What about the radiation it absorbs?

I have neighbor who is also a dentist, so I might be able to open that up as a source too.

I'll keep digging around, but all of the major tire places I have asked are all regulated and have no interest in hooking me up with even a few of their WW.

Edit: My dentist's x-ray setup is pretty high tech - it actually scans the xray into the computer as it x-rays, so he may not have any lead other than the lead in the aprons.
    --- Patrick G.

Boolit Master
    You needent worry about radiation from lead shielding ..... as soon as the power is cut ...... that's it!

Three 44s

Boolit Master

the reason lead is used for shielding is because it DOES NOT ABSORB RADIATION!
    That's why it's called SHIELDING.
    Get all of it you can. Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    the reason lead is used for shielding is because it DOES NOT ABSORB RADIATION!
    That's why it's called SHIELDING.
    Get all of it you can. Pepe Ray
    Well, actually it does absorb radiation:
    http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q5362.html

Based on that article though, it would appear that there is nothing wrong with the lead and that it would be perfectly safe to use and I'll hit up the two dentists I know to see if I can get it.

I'm going to assume though that this lead might not be perfectly suited for bullets (it's probably pure lead) and that I'm going to have to come up with some antimony and tin to create a suitable alloy, right?
    Last edited by trickg; 10-27-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Your Assumtion is Correct...

Is pure lead & you will need to alloy it to get the proper hardness for most boolit casting. The only thing it would work for as soft would be Black powder rnd balls or fishing weights. My 2¢. Russ.

Boolit Master

I guess we suckers should be more perceptive when viewing such tempting bait.
    Brevity ,etc.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ in WY View Post
    Is pure lead & you will need to alloy it to get the proper hardness for most boolit casting. The only thing it would work for as soft would be Black powder rnd balls or fishing weights. My 2¢. Russ.
    My Dad once got a bunch of old cable from the telephone company that had a lead sheathing (the cable was about an inch or so in diameter) and he used tin snips to remove the sheathing. It was really soft lead, and Dad thought it was pretty much pure. I don't recall if he ever tried to alloy it so that he could use it, or if he simply disposed of it - he never had problems getting WW, and since he cast almost exclusively from WW alloy, he may not have even messed with it any further than that.

At this point, ANY lead would be good - even if it's pure lead, I'm sure I could figure out ways to create a good bullet alloy.
    --- Patrick G.

Boolit Grand Master
    This has been discussed before, and you can do a search to find lots of information about dental Xray shields. I get thousands of them from my daughter, she is a dental assistant. I cast some boolits from one batch, then did a hardness test. They cast well, and tested 8 BHN. This indicates that they are not pure lead, but close to it. Since it casts nicely, I suspect it has a small amount of tin in it.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    This has been discussed before, and you can do a search to find lots of information about dental Xray shields. I get thousands of them from my daughter, she is a dental assistant. I cast some boolits from one batch, then did a hardness test. They cast well, and tested 8 BHN. This indicates that they are not pure lead, but close to it. Since it casts nicely, I suspect it has a small amount of tin in it.
    Groovy! So how do you alloy it to make it usable for bullets?
    --- Patrick G.

Radiation??? I thought I was shooting green tracers.LOL.
    Mike B.

Boolit Buddy
    Well darn !! I asked my dentist just this past week if I could have the old lead from the x-ray films and he said that they were considered a "bio-hazard" as they had been inpeoples mouths and had to be sent to a bio-hazard company!! Maybe he missed something!!!
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    You could point out to the dentist that the lead gets heated to at least 620 degrees. I think that will take care of about all mouth bourne bio-hazards.

Boolit Mold
    It would kill anything on the lead but unfortunately the govt. doesnt' see it that way. 'Sensible' is not a term certain oragnizations are familiar with. Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by WildmanJack View Post
    Well darn !! I asked my dentist just this past week if I could have the old lead from the x-ray films and he said that they were considered a "bio-hazard" as they had been inpeoples mouths and had to be sent to a bio-hazard company!! Maybe he missed something!!!
    Jack
    And henceforth your medical bills keep rising. More unfunded government mandates.

Boolit Master
    Are WW a thing of the past?

No, just the lead ones.

I just got back from the 2 tire shops I get my ww''s from and I had no problem loading the 3-5 gallon pails full into my wagon. I was curious and asked them about the hazardous scrap thing and they laughed and said the guy was pulling your leg and proably has a friend who casts boolits for him with it.LOL. Im in NJ and we got some pretty tough laws here and never heard of a WW being hazardous because their all dropped off at the scrap yards for .20 cents a pound and thats why their happy to get a 12 pack for them. I would look into it furthur and offer a few bucks for them and I give my guys 2 boxes of reloaded #6 shot every time I go and they love me! Its a cheap price to pay for 200 pounds of lead.
    Mike B.

Mike - just keep in mind that I live in Maryland and we have all kinds of political shenanigans going on here - this state is one of the bluest of the blue. Anyway, as a result, the whole "regulations" thing might be part of that.

I'll keep digging around and I'll probably start checking out some of the mom & pop repair shops. I started with the big ones (Firestone, Goodyear, NTB, Just Tires, etc) because I figured that I would have better luck getting more of them, but if it's true that some of the mom & pop places just hang on to them, I might have some luck there.

One other thing to consider about where I live is that while the bulk of the population (Baltimore, PG County, etc) is very liberal and anti-gun for the most part, there is a BIG redneck element where I live, so I'm likely to have some competition in my endeavors to scrounge for lead.
    --- Patrick G.