RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: T-C Contender .35 Remington 14" barrel

Boolit Master

T-C Contender .35 Remington 14" barrel

Picked this up back when shooting silhouettes in IHMSA matches in Mass, but the association fell apart in the East before I got to work up any loads. Now is as good a time I suppose, so I tried a rifle load of 27 gr of VV N-133 with the RCBS 35-200 gr FNGC.
    First problem was the RCBS dies didn't size the shoulder far enough back, so the action would not quite close. Lee dies from Natchez Shooter Supply (ordered Sun, delivered Thur in Maine!) solved that. So, 5 shots in 7.2" at 100 yd, but with smoked case necks and powder granules left in the bore. Need to try a faster powder, maybe 5744.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Grand Master
    A little sandpaper on the bottom of the die would have precluded buying another set. This presumes the die was set up correctly to bottom firmly against the shellholder and all spring taken out of the press to arrive at the conclusion the die was not capable of setting the shoulder back enough.

5744 would not be my choice to make a 35 Remington perform like a 35 Remington, but maybe 357 levels of power are good enough for what you want to do. From 4198 on the fast side to 4320 on the slow end is more like it. Pick powders between that range if full power loads matter.

Boolit Master
    Loaded up ten rounds with the 35-200 gr FNGC and 27 gr XMP-5744. No smoked necks, less powder granules left in bore; but appeared to string vertically. Some low shots off the paper, some higher in the black of the 100 yd small bore target. Could not form a consistent group.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Mold
    26Charlie, if you are having vertical stringing with your Contender you are very likely having some lock up problems with the action. I shot two of my Contenders today and got exceptional accuracy from both but it was a bit of an exercise getting them there. If you do not like "tinkering" with guns then a Contender might not be the gun for you if you are looking for accuracy. If you want to turn your Contender into a shooter you need to Google Mike Bellm and go to his web site (https://www.bellmtcs.com/), he has volumes of information on making a Contender shoot and it is geared toward the private gun owner. Have fun with your Contender, I love mine.

Boolit Master
    It occurred to me that contenders are not one-handed rifles, and perhaps expecting rifle loads to work in this case is going against the nature of the gun. I looked at your reference, Savtuner, and I agree about the lockup problems possibility. Anyway, I decided to try a .44 Mag equivalent load, 22 gr. of 2400, same RCBS 200 gr GC. 5 at 100 yd into 5.8 inches, then since I had one round left I let it go, and of course opened up the group to 9.8 inches.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you trying for a light load or a hunting type load? I have had good luck with H322 in both my barrels in 35.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tctender View Post
    Are you trying for a light load or a hunting type load? I have had good luck with H322 in both my barrels in 35.
    I want as heavy a load as I can get with good accuracy (6 inches @ 100 yd or better) with this 35-200-FP RCBS bullet. Within the constraints of the gun and the recoil I can stand, and burning the powder charge as completely as possible. Also, these are open sights and I am 77, so there is a limit as to sighting ability. What bullet, how much H322, and what group sizes at what range?
    (Good luck varies as a descriptor)

Boolit Master
    It occurred to me that contenders are not one-handed rifles, and perhaps expecting rifle loads to work in this case is going against the nature of the gun.
    Not so sure about that. This is a group @ 50 yards from my 7-30 Waters Contender after I put a new scope on it. The hole low and left was the first after boresighting. I made an adjustment and then fired the group. Quickest sight in ever for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MGM Group.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	206863

Boolit Grand Master
    I can hold about 3" at 100 with the RCBS bullet and a charge of H322 that obtains a little over 2000 from my own Contender pistol. The accuracy potential of the pistol is better than I can usually shoot it.

While this burns cleanly, compared to accuracy and velocity clean burning is really of no value if accuracy and velocity are there. Relegate this consideration to the very distant third place it deserves.