Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox

Thread: For those who like cooeys

Boolit Master

For those who like cooeys

I copied this from another site, anyone with a Cooey will like it.

Cooeys

This is to good not to share,found it on another forum
    Some Things I Have Learned About Old Cooeys

In putting together a match at our club over the last few weeks I have spent a lot of time thinking about old Cooey .22's. I put together a few thoughts that I'd like to share.

If it says H.W. Cooey on the barrel, it was made before 1961.

If it says anything about Winchester, it was made after 1961.

The long barreled ones shoot better with standard velocity ammo.

The shorter barreled ones shoot better with higher velocity ammo.

Once you get a second Cooey, they start to multiply...kinda like hamsters.

Old rusty ones shoot better than those that you have lovingly preserved for your whole life.

If you have spent hours sighting in a Cooey and then notice that the front sight is bent, its OK, don't straighten it and start over, leave it for the next generation. You've done your part.

If there is a strong wind blowing you will need to use Kentucky windage. If you lose your rear sight elevator, you can slip a dime under your rear sight. This is known as Canuck elevation. Proper Canadian etiquette and protocol requires that the Queen's head be facing up when using Canuck elevation....... unless you are from Nova Scotia, in which case having the Bluenose facing up is also permitted.

If your single shot Cooey doesn't extract fired cases, don't be disappointed. This is part of its "character and charm". If it takes two extra seconds to pick the case out with your fingernail, remember a Cooey 39 was never intended for bear defense.

If you have a perfect shot lined up in the sights of your Cooey, you probably forgot to cock it.

If you have cocked it, it will probably misfire due to the cheap bulk ammo you are using.

You never see anyone using Lapua or Eley match ammo in their Cooey.

A Cooey can be a perfectly viable canoe paddle. They can also grind coffee.

A long boot lace makes a perfectly acceptable sling for a Cooey.

A Cooey single shot can shoot .22 short, long, long rifle, BB cap, CB cap, .22 shotshells, .22 acorn blanks, acorn blanks with .22 airgun pellets and probably nail gun blanks, (but I haven't tried those yet).

A Cooey doesn't need batteries. There is also no USB port. I think they must be solar powered.............although they also work fine in the rain........hmmmmmm...

Most of the old Cooeys never had serial numbers. No wonder the long gun registry never worked. Thank you Mr Cooey!

The Cooey I got 43 years ago will be with me 'til I die.

When you see a beat up old Cooey at a gun show, treat it with respect, someone probably had to die for it to be there.

If you are thinking of turning your Cooey into a Tacticool Cooey, consider your actions carefully. We don't want any previous owners turning over in their graves.

If you miss what you thought was a perfect shot, it's not the cheap bulk ammo. It is just the ghost of the previous owner playing tricks on you.

If you think Cooeys won't ever be valuable, then don't read old magazines that had ads for cheap surplus Lee Enfields and Garands.

Colt Pythons easily sell for 4 or 5 times their original price today.

So do Cooeys.

If your Cooey could talk to future generations, what would it say about you?

Don't forget to hug your Cooey today
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Mold
    My "Cooey" is a Remington 510. Not so many Cooeys south of the 49th parallel. Saw it in the rack at the LGS. It said "Please take me home with you". It now has a place of honor among some newer and fancier 22's, Remingtons, Winchesters, and Rugers.

That Cooey is something uniquely Canadian. I have a friend in Calgary, with whom I went through the gunsmithing school, and after completing the course he went home and started gunsmithing. We used to correspond about our bench experiences and he used to cuss about Cooeys on a regular basis. I've got a Savage that looks very Cooey-like. It works well, though.

Boolit Master
    Those old gun magazines also had very cheap surplus military single-shot Cooeys. 1968 is the one I have somewhere, and they had a full length or nearly full length stock. I think those might have been rather good rifles, but the tube-magazine one, my first rifle bought in that same year, wasn't.

The magazine slid longitudinally with the bolt. It was even meant to, and couldn't be operated quietly. The cartridge lifter and, if I haven't succeeded in extinguishing painful memories, the magazine were mounted in a couple of long, narrow strips cut from the receiver, built up and welded in place. I had to get both sides rewelded. The extractor was pretty flimsy too. The stock bore on the barrel, and was split into two quite flexible halves to accommodate the magazine. The trigger was somewhat superior to many double-action revolvers, and the cocking-piece was heavy and slow. Numrich Gunparts do have some spare parts, although I doubt if the stock of extractors lasted long.

Oddly enough it was rather accurate. Colonel Whelen said only accurate rifles are interesting, to which I can only add not even all of those, unless you count excessively interesting.

The surplus military full wood Cooeys were designated the Model 82 and were a cadet training rifle designed to represent a full wood military Lee Enfield rifle.

http://candrsenal.com/briefly-the-ca...raining-rifle/
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Somehow one of those tube mag bolt actons that Ballistics mentioned ended up in my brothers collection. Very accurate but sounds like an ungreased bulldozer track when you work the bolt. Aren't some Savage rimfires made in Canada?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk