WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a misaligned press?

What to do with a misaligned press?

When I got back into reloading a few years ago, after some time away, I bought an inexpensive(read cheap) cast iron press. It turns out the hole in the top and the ram don't line up correctly.
    You can load at least some ammo on it but it creates some problems as you can imagine.
    What can be done with it as far as correcting the problem? What can the press be used for the way it is?
    Right now it is sitting in a box under the loading bench gathering dust.

If a Ram Prime Die from RCBS or Lyman would work on it, I'd set up for just priming. I do that now on one of my Rockchuckers, and is my preferred way to prime cases.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Who made it and what model? If the manufacturer is still making presses, I would contact them and see what they have to say about repair(doubt if it can be repaired since it is bored off center) or maybe be wiling to swap it out for their current model. Worth a try anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

If its the type the has the bushing to reduce size to 7/8" x 14 it could be the bushing. I have seen a couple like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Who made it and what model? If the manufacturer is still making presses, I would contact them and see what they have to say about repair(doubt if it can be repaired since it is bored off center) or maybe be wiling to swap it out for their current model. Worth a try anyway.
    I don't remember the maker. It was a cheap, made in China, press I bought off Ebay. I looked up some reviews online(after I bought it of course) and found out that was typical of it.
    I can't use it for decapping because the pin misses the hole, it is that far off. I might be able to use it for pulling bullets since that doesn't really need alignment to work.
    I might be able to use it for a lee push through sizer depending on the direction it is misaligned. Unfortunately, I seem to remember it was off sideways.
    I guess I will need to look at it and see which way it is off.

Modify it to mount upside down and use it for re-sizing cast boolits? If not send it to me and I'll figure out some way of making it work.

Boolit Master
    I'd junk it, end of problems. You can't be in it for much.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I'd junk it, end of problems. You can't be in it for much.
    That last part is true enough.

Boolit Master

send it to dikman, on his dime

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    send it to dikman, on his dime
    That would probably cost more than I paid for the press initially.

Boolit Grand Master

I would do some measuring and see where its off and how much first. sizing if its off may cause rub on the pusher to the die. Priming the same it may give an off center push on the primer face not loading the anvils correctly.

You might be able to purchase a .010 over 7/8 14 tap and retap to an over sized thread and let the threads center it if possible. Or retap and coat die in release agent and fill threads with epoxy. run a case into the die while wet and let cure for this a .015 over tap is better but harder to find Other wise its a real chore setting it up square and true in a mill finding center and boring to use a 1 1/4" 12 bushing

boat anchor ?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

if its not too far out, make it a dedicated decapping press, or ive always heard red door stops work well.

Boolit Master

Back several years ago someone imported a line of reloading equipment into the U.S. called Smart Reloader or Smart Reloading (I can't exactly remember which) but I remember that there was a uproar at the time because of its shoddy workmanship. Rams would bind and hesitate as they traveled, were mostly bored off center and generally not well put together. I ask what the manufacture was because I remembered the problems being tossed around about it were the same problem you are having. I haven't seen one advertised in a few years now. A good machinist just might cure the problem but it would cost far more than the press is worth. It would as someone suggested, make a good boat anchor.

Didn't someone on here have one of those Smart Reloader single stations with that warpage problem. So they removed everything from the press frame (linkage ram everything).
    Then used the press frame as a powder measure stand.

This

to this

Boolit Bub
    Maybe you could set it up to do push through sizing. If the ram is off a little it probably would not bother the system.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    boat anchor ?
    Beat me to it..............

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That would probably cost more than I paid for the press initially.
    You'd be right there, ol buddy!!
    I bought one of those Smart Reloader presses to use for re-sizing (I think it said made in Italy). It's a knockoff of a Lee, of course, and isn't too bad except for the handle clamping arrangement, there's no way it can be tightened up enough to stop slipping. Because I wanted to use it upside down I severely modified the handle/pivot assembly, there's no way it can slip now!!

I bought it, by the way, because basic Lee presses (which to you guys are entry-level presses) are expensive down here.

Boolit Master
    The absolute best use of warped Smartloader that I have seen came from a member on this forum.
    He hung it on the wall in front of his bench to remind him not to buy reloading tools made in China.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cyclone View Post
    Didn't someone on here have one of those Smart Reloader single stations with that warpage problem. So they removed everything from the press frame (linkage ram everything).
    Then used the press frame as a powder measure stand.

This

to this
    NOW THAT'S A HEAVY DUTY STAND! (font for irony off)
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast