WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Mate, full marks for your tenacity! I can understand where you're coming from as I've sometimes done similar things (as a matter of principle). You must really want this rifle, however, to put yourself through this. Me, I would have cut and run in this case because I would have been worried about the quality of the rest of the rifle.

Hope it works out for you.
    Thanks, Me too! what can possibly go wrong. Now I know what people do when they retire. Maybe I should of gone fishing.

comprschrg; I won't stomp around in your thread anymore than like dikman I'm proud of you for sticking with it in an effort to make Remlin do what's right. My 1895 Cowboy was just so much a *** that I couldn't deal with them sending it back without repair and a target and a note that "It shoots just fine" when the rifling looked like it had been cut by a chimpanzee using a pick ax. The New Henry arrived today and it's just beautiful. the checkering is perfect and the bore looks like a mirror. I'll let you know how it shoots when I get all together. Now I know there is a reason most of us choose the $400 rifle over the $800 rifle and believe me I'm in the same boat but for dollar spent I'd most certainly recommend you all opt for the Henry and I'm DONE with Remlin. Gp

Boolit Man
    gpidaho; Thank you also. I don't think your stomping at all, I'm sure you wiped your feet. I'll keep an eye out for your target report.

Boolit Master

No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Just out of curiosity, where is Remington having you send the gun? I picked up a new 870 that had a tight/rough chamber that would fuse a fired shell into the chamber. I contacted Remington CS and they told me to mail it to a place called Triton Arms in VA. I boxed it up and shipped it at my own expense. UPS tracking number said delivered on 8-18-17. I contacted Remington CS again this Tuesday to see if I could get a status update. Remington claims they never received my shotgun... I provided them with the ticket number, the serial number, the UPS tracking number (which shows the name/signature of the individual that signed for it) still no luck finding my shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

This is just my opinion but I can't see how Remington could possibly keep track of all the guns that must be coming back judging by my last two purchases. They can't be bothered trying to fix the unfixable *** products that they a putting out these days that would take time away from making more hacked up unworkable junk. When I catch my breath, I'll tell you all what I really think of Remington. Gp

Cleaning up the new Henry 45-70 today, getting all the oil and test-fire gunk out. What an absolute beautiful rifle. the case hardening is so pretty it looks like it came out of Turnbull's shop. Wondering of topic again. lol Gp

Boolit Man
    I read these posts last week, a friend of mine ordered a brand new Henry Silver Boy, 357 mag. He got it, shot it, called me back told me how well it shot. Then called me back later to tell me the rifling was not as sharp and defined as it should be at the muzzle. Said it looked like some one used a dremal tool on it.It also had lots of red polishing compound on the receiver, and a scratch on the receiver as well. He said he could over look the excess polishing compound, even the scratch. But the inside of the barrel at the muzzle, just could not keep it looking like that. He called them today, they are sending a mailer and the guy assured him it would be fixed and fixed right.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where is Remington having you send the gun? I picked up a new 870 that had a tight/rough chamber that would fuse a fired shell into the chamber. I contacted Remington CS and they told me to mail it to a place called Triton Arms in VA. I boxed it up and shipped it at my own expense. UPS tracking number said delivered on 8-18-17. I contacted Remington CS again this Tuesday to see if I could get a status update. Remington claims they never received my shotgun... I provided them with the ticket number, the serial number, the UPS tracking number (which shows the name/signature of the individual that signed for it) still no luck finding my shotgun.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been replacing my water line from the pump house to my house. 525 feet of 1 1/4 pipe. yee haa. I am getting good at operating the back hoe even though it looks like a chinaman will poke his head up, it's so deep.
    That's crazy and scary, them not having the information about your shot gun. Have they found it yet?
    Mine has gotten shipped to a few different places. Mann Son Sporting goods pinckneyville Ill. two times.
    and two times to 14 hoefler av. Ilion NY. with different Att: to's.
    Completely different than yours.

ARKLITE881South; I'm sure his will get fixed perfect. let us know how it turns out.

GP; you lucky dog you. I've got a winchester that I would like to send to turnbull, (it will never happen) But your Henry looks like a much, much better deal, I like the way the action works on the Henry also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by comprschrg View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. I've been replacing my water line from the pump house to my house. 525 feet of 1 1/4 pipe. yee haa. I am getting good at operating the back hoe even though it looks like a chinaman will poke his head up, it's so deep.
    That's crazy and scary, them not having the information about your shot gun. Have they found it yet?
    Mine has gotten shipped to a few different places. Mann Son Sporting goods pinckneyville Ill. two times.
    and two times to 14 hoefler av. Ilion NY. with different Att: to's.
    Completely different than yours.

ARKLITE881South; I'm sure his will get fixed perfect. let us know how it turns out.

GP; you lucky dog you. I've got a winchester that I would like to send to turnbull, (it will never happen) But your Henry looks like a much, much better deal, I like the way the action works on the Henry also.
    No, they have not found it yet.

Boolit Man
    2ndAmendmentNut; No, they have not found it yet.
    That just BITES! It's gota be just a mater of time before it gets found.

I got a free 1884 trap door kinda that way. The brown truck guys lost it in transit. waited the allotted time for the insurance payoff. Then they found the rifle in the damaged/over goods. They sent me the rifle, it was damaged, (a little) they didn't want a firearm to deal with, so they sent me the insurance check and told me to keep the rifle. I was very happy

Now I feel guilty that my 1895 is in route to my front door step. it got sent on the 6th. Should be here any day.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear your 1895 is on its way back. We all have our fingers crossed for you. Let us know asap.

Boolit Man
    YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!

Note to new readers: This is the fifth bad barrel on my brand new now nine months old Marlin 1895 SBL

I got the 1895 yesterday. My buddy that drives the brown truck was shaking his head when I rushed out the door like a kid on Christmas. The box was worse than the rag doll box about three times ago. It was rolled up on the end like a newspaper. He said "I gota see what's inside. It has to be smashed". I opened it up to see more crushed styorfoam, and a purdy to me lever action rifle. Luckily the rifle looked ok. But. Drum roll.(very short) Another bad barrel. (Not allowed to say what I thinking). A call to remington got me another email to send it back. He wants pictures of course. and I know you do too. It's really smokey from the fires today, and the over 100 pictures didn't come out very good, and I'm still doing my water line. it's more important. Supposed to freeze next monday
    They did find a much better butt stock, and the rifling is better, but it's still Very shallow on one side with groves in the lands, and steps up to the lands on the ? better side. When you look down the breach end you can barley see the one barley visible land all the way down to the muzzle. When I mentioned I can use a tooth pick to feel how tall the lands are I was told "that's not how we measure here". But my point is if you can feel the difference with a tooth pick, there must be more than a few thousandths difference. And you can SEE from the muzzle there is not much depth to the land. If I look at ANY, and ALL of any bore. you can see the lands even microgrove!!!!! Yes this is also for remington to read. People doing quality control: Please take notes if you need to be reminded!
    I know now. These are all from the same run. They don't have any good stainless barrels in stock. Will the next batch be better? Who knows??? I was told, they picked a good barrel.
    Oh yea, I almost would like to take a poll to see if I should get my money back.? uahh daa.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 09-14-2017 at 02:25 PM.

comprschrg: Give it up my friend. They don't make any good barrels or they would have put one on by now just to get rid of you. It's my opinion that although folks have been rifling barrels for centuries the process escapes Remington. Gp Oh! I forgot to mention, I fired 33 rounds of 45-70 the other day about half and half out of the new Henry (love that gun) and my Handi rifle. My old shoulder hurts. LOL Gp
    Last edited by gpidaho; 09-14-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    comprschrg: Give it up my friend. They don't make any good barrels or they would have put one on by now just to get rid of you. It's my opinion that although folks have been rifling barrels for centuries the process escapes Remington. Gp Oh! I forgot to mention, I fired 33 rounds of 45-70 the other day about half and half out of the new Henry (love that gun) and my Handi rifle. My old shoulder hurts. LOL Gp
    what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger You just need a thicker pad.
    I know your right now. I'm just going to get my money back this time. I've wanted one of these since I saw one back in 2007. I saved, and squirreled my nickles and dimes for years to get one. The line finally broke. my bubble is popped.

Same story here I'd been saying how I wanted the1895 cowboy for a couple of years, the kids didn't see me making progress and bought me one for fathers day. What a disappointment for all concerned. You have had the patience of Job but sometimes you just have to walk away and you would never feel right about selling a rifle like that. Hope the next rifle works for you. Gp

Boolit Master

Get your money back. You are way more patient than I am.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

Get your money back if you can. Buy a Henry or save for a Browning 86. Just for the hell of it I would shoot it and see how accuracy (or lack there of) is.

P.S. Remington still has not found my shotgun. They can't even make a smooth bore right.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Get your money back if you can. Buy a Henry or save for a Browning 86. Just for the hell of it I would shoot it and see how accuracy (or lack there of) is.

P.S. Remington still has not found my shotgun. They can't even make a smooth bore right.

It just sounds better and better for them.
    I am going to try and get my money back. I took hundreds of pictures yesterday, deleted about 2/3rds. And the rest don't look good.
    This barrel is better looking than the rest, but it still has one bad/almost not there land, with a grove in it the depth of the rest. (which wouldn't hurt accuracy "IF" the rest of the land was as tall as the rest. (now im babbling)
    A few of the other lands have a step up to the land. You'll see when I post the pictures.
    I'm trying to get pictures that are easy to compare the different lands/groves, but it's not working. They look like I'm doctoring them. I'm not that good though. It took me about and hour to find where the pictures got sent this time. These computers drive me crazy.
    I think what they are doing now is making the lands and groves so shallow just the slightest imperfection looks like the grand canyon.
    I have to get the light so perfect you can see one land and the ones next to it look like a smooth bore. really sad.
    When you look at the muzzle you have to get the light just right even to be able to see rifling at the crown edge. They are more shallow than micro-grove.
    I would like to slug the bore, or do a chamber cast to see what is going on. Something tells me they are trying to make a more cost effective rifling and it isn't working.
    gota go, got a busy day.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 09-15-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    A third option might be to look into having a professional rebarrel the rifle and have Remington pay for it. I doubt that will fly, but might be something to offer Remington.

I have to agree with gpidaho, they obviously don't make good barrels as getting five bad ones in a row is ridiculous. It also doesn't say much for the "effort" they're putting into making sure you are looked after. You've given it a good try, and been very patient, but I reckon it's time to cut your losses. I guess the moral of the story is unless you can find one of the old Marlins then it's best to give this company a big miss. (I'm waiting to pick up my Uberti 1866 Yellowboy and have no concerns about having problems as Uberti have a pretty good reputation these days, along with Pedersoli).

By the way, some time ago I bought a cheap "endoscope" thingy off ebay. It hooks up to a laptop, and while it's not a high end camera it's great for poking down the bore of a gun to see what it's like and I can take photos of the inside if I need to.

Good luck.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast