Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: RCBS Mod A

Boolit Bub

RCBS Mod A

I bought a Mod A sometime back. I want to start using it some. Paint is nearly 100 %. My question is the handle. It's an old barrel. There's a taper turned on the breech end and then threaded 1/2-20. The grip is foam in a bike handle bar style. The paint is the strange colored brown. Did Rcbs use old barrels for handles in their early presses??? I have it at my gunsmith to fit a new handle since I don't want to mess up the foam grip IF it is original. Another thing I didn't understand. On the toggle where the handle screws into, on the opposite side on the bottom is the same tapered counter bore with 1/2x20 threads at the bottom. The handle can be screwed in and hangs down. Appears to be used with an upstroke. Have any of you seen this? One final question. When I first started to reload I ordered an A2 but got an A3 so it has to be one of the first ones made. I've loaded a truck load of ammo on the old girl. The horizonal 1/2'' hole in the toggle has become egg shaped. I've considered having my smith bore it out and install a steel sleeve. He suggested a bonze bushing instead. Has anyone ever did this? I'd appreciate any help, thanks, Ray

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0064 (2).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	202801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0065 (2).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	202802

A few years back I had a similar issue with one of my older A's, I bored out the 1/2" hole and installed (pressed in) a 3/4" X 1/2" bronze bushing as shown in pic. This should be a no brainer for any gunsmith, As for the two holes in the toggle for the handle positions, you are correct, the toggle was designed for upstroke use also, I had a very early "A" that could only be used in the upstroke position.

Good luck

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Ozark, by chance was a barrel used in making a handle in any of your early A's?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0053.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	202853

Every "A" handle that I've seen has actually been a 1/2" ID steel tube that slips over a 1/2" stud that screws into the bottom toggle linkage. At he bottom of the pic you can see the stud mounted in the toggle link, this was typical of the "A" series press. The one pictured here is actually a 1967 A2 with a singe 7/8-14 die hole, most A's used a 1-1/2" X 7/8" top bushing.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks again Ozark, I seen that stud in the upper left corner but thought it was the bottom of a long handle. I had some 0-1 in .625 dia so that whats my gunsmith is making my handle from. I'll keep the handle that came with the press and use the new one. Don't plan on using it much but I'd like to enjoy the press some.