RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Opinion request: 7.62 Nato, 6S or 8S profile?

Opinion request: 7.62 Nato, 6S or 8S profile?

The 6S will probably weigh a little more for a given bullet length than the 8S
    The 8S will be more aerodynamic at full-house velocities

For a given weight, the 6S will have more bearing surface.

My question is, which will feed reliably in mil-surp weapons (HK91, 1919A4, M14, etc) ?

Is your typical surplus 7.62Nato an 8S profile?

Hmmm, OK. No one else has ever been curious of this? Well, the answer is a radius of 3 inches which puts it almost 10S :O

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/815788.pdf (page 10)

Boolit Man

Tiger, I don't think it's about not being curious, it's more about not "seeing" a real world effect. For example, I reach into my .308 ammo can and get 20 rounds of mixed headstamp/projectile rounds. I shoot them at the 200 meter target, they all feed and fire. They also print a 20 round group within the 9 ring.
    So, what would I find fault with? I grab another 20 rounds, and fire at the 100 meter target. They all feed and fire. And they produce a 3 inch group occupying the center of the 9/10 ring.
    Again, why would I take issue with that? Most any ammo I fire through my M1A reacts the same way, from Combloc, NATO,Greek,LC it doesn't matter. At the end of the day I walk up and cover my group with my hand. If there are flyers, it's probably me. I am 63 after all. Most of my joy in shooting comes from letting 20 somethings shoot the old girl, it's a new and enlightening experience for most of them.
    In real world perspective, unless you are really into accuracy at long,long range..over 600 meters, I don't think you will notice much difference between a 6s or an 8s ogive. My take on it and I don't mean any diss to your due diligence in checking it out. Dave