RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Any experience with a Reflex sight and the 454 Casull?

Boolit Bub

Any experience with a Reflex sight and the 454 Casull?

I have a Trijicon RX34A-51 Reflex sight and am wondering if it will stand up to the recoil of the 454 Casull in a Magnum Research BFR Revolver?

Boolit Grand Master

They live on slide mounts for competitors in the action shooting games. Hard to picture a harsher environment than that.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Mold
    I have an Aimpoint H1 on my 454 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk. I use a SS Weigand rail mount. I use the type of mount for the 460 XVR and 500 S&W. My 500 has a Primary Arms Adv Microdot that has been good up to 118 rounds so far.

I haven't tried my RMR or Vortex on a large bore,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    My recipe for gun and sight isn't exactly like yours, but my reddot is still alive and maintains zero. The mount I use had to be modified, but after the Redneck engineering, works well.

Ruger Blackhawk (Willaims 45 Colt Bisley 5.5") and a Burris Fastfire III. I typically shoot 300 grain LFNGC bullets with H110 running pretty fast. Recoil is stout and the Fastfire hasn't cared yet.

I am usually an optics snob, but this time I wanted to make sure this crazy idea worked before I spent more. I had to tilt my head sideways and squint at the "package" because it didn't look right, but after shooting it I find it to be a beaut! At 51, my eyes don't see like they used to so it was either a reddot sight or live with shooting at shorter distances or blaming the revolver on my groups. It's nice to know just how accurate your handgun is. Ridiculously easy to shoot as long as you can get used to how it looks......

Meant to add that for the less expensive options of tiny reddot's, I prefer the Vortex Venom over the Fastfire III. I'm not too sure I'll spend the extra money this time as both the Venom and Fastfire both are holding up to heavy recoil. YMMV!
    Last edited by DHDeal; 07-25-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Boolit Master

I had a Pride Fowler special ops sight on my 6" FA 454 for a few years with about 600 rounds fired with 300 gr bullets, most @ 1,100 fps with about 150 @1,450 fps and about 100 @ 1650 fps , then I was noticing a shift in point of impact the micro screws on the front side of the sight were a bit loose causing the zero shift , I tightend up the screws and put it on pistol with a slide mounted base with no more problems.

On another FA 454 I mounted a Aimpoint comp , I shot this one a lot with loads 2 & 3, the on/dot brightness switch failed 2 times ( this was a problem with first gen Aimpoint Comp) after the second failure Aimpoint sent me a new sight.

I had another Aimpoint comp that I bought used on another revolver that after some use the switch was starting to go bad, and repair parts are now not avaliable , so I now use it on a 22 pistol with no problems.

For the last 7 years both 454 now have the Aimpoint Micro H1 installed with no problems !

I have 4 semi auto pistols with slide mounted red dot sights no problem with any
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 07-26-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    My recipe for gun and sight isn't exactly like yours, but my reddot is still alive and maintains zero. The mount I use had to be modified, but after the Redneck engineering, works well.

Ruger Blackhawk (Willaims 45 Colt Bisley 5.5") and a Burris Fastfire III. I typically shoot 300 grain LFNGC bullets with H110 running pretty fast. Recoil is stout and the Fastfire hasn't cared yet.

I am usually an optics snob, but this time I wanted to make sure this crazy idea worked before I spent more. I had to tilt my head sideways and squint at the "package" because it didn't look right, but after shooting it I find it to be a beaut! At 51, my eyes don't see like they used to so it was either a reddot sight or live with shooting at shorter distances or blaming the revolver on my groups. It's nice to know just how accurate your handgun is. Ridiculously easy to shoot as long as you can get used to how it looks......

Meant to add that for the less expensive options of tiny reddot's, I prefer the Vortex Venom over the Fastfire III. I'm not too sure I'll spend the extra money this time as both the Venom and Fastfire both are holding up to heavy recoil. YMMV!
    Do you have a pic of the Bisley with the Fast Fire on it? How did you mount it ? I have a Williams 45 Convertible Bisley 5 1/2" would really like to get all the accuracy out of it that I can .
    You are being watched.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Bob; that's a good recommendation. Thank you.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a JPoint on my FA83 .454 and have been shooting some 350gr cast at approx. 1350 fps. So far, no problems but I have only shot 100 rds of these.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I know a Micro-Dot is not what you are asking about. But followed 44Mans advice on these snappy recoilers (454 & 475 Linebaugh) BFR's with heavy fast moving cast with no issues ever.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Man

Have a Burris Fastfire III on a United Sporting Arms (basically a Stainless Ruger SBH) in .45Win Mag on a Weaver SBH mount that needed a bit of gunsmithing to fit.

After several hundreds of full oomph hunting loads it's still solid. Not up to .454 recoil but pretty close.

Love the dot for hunting. You should be fine with your proposed setup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Do you have a pic of the Bisley with the Fast Fire on it? How did you mount it ? I have a Williams 45 Convertible Bisley 5 1/2" would really like to get all the accuracy out of it that I can .
    http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Rev...ini-Mount.html

http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Sup...ope-Mount.html

i used a mini-mount on my ruger sbh in 44mag. and it does work. the only reason i did do mini-mount is 20 some years from now i plan on hunting with my sbh and a reflex sight. now i use one hole sight( http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html )