MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The desert is a fickle companion .

Moderator Emeritus

Great writeup, Harter! I really enjoyed all of it. I live on the southern coastal plain of Ga., not far from Savannah. Here, it's swamps, and I feel much the same way about them as you do about the desert. One comes to learn his "home land" no matter what the qualities it holds. The swamps are a great place for a boy to learn to become a man - lots to deal with, and plenty of it will kill you. And in the swamps, there's also those pesky biting insects, like 'skeeters, sand gnats (in some places) and all manner of horse and yellow flies (some of those things will leave whelps the size of a goose egg!). "Home," once we truly come to know it - IF we truly come to know it - is always a place full of fascination, challenge and the lure of adventure. And it's always a challenge to really get to know "Mother Nature" no matter where you are. I love the swamps because they're so very full of life of all sorts - just teeming with it! Much of it can bite you, and many plants will make you itch, and if you don't learn to be observant, you're in for a rather "itchy" time, or worse. Step on just one moccasin or rattler, and your day is plum ruint!!! But learn to live and move among all this, and it's one more fascinating place.

I've always loved stories and descriptions of deserts like yours, because it's so foreign to me here in the swamps - essentially almost the exact reverse of the deserts. I got in a little moderate sagebrush type terrain when I was in CA, but never really got to appreciate it. We had to leave because we hadn't brought enough water, just as you observe above. Heat was over 100* that day, and we dared not outstay our water! You write with obvious feeling and love of the country, and I'm glad you do. Helps an old swamp rat like me understand the allure of the desert more fully. It's be a huge change for this ol' country boy, but I'd love to try to get to know it as you do!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Once you get sage and greasewood oil in your veins, it is tough to get out and it will require returning. I know. I live in the jungle (aka rainforest) of the Olympic Peninsula but I crave every trip back as will you when you make your move.
    Gospel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Having lived in the desert southwest my entire life I can completely relate. In a 50 mile radius of where I live, you can go from the Sonoran desert to Alpine tundra above tree line. On a clear day you can see over a hundred miles easily. What I love most about where I live is the riparian areas, with spring fed creeks that run year round through the desert. A true desert oasis with ferns, flowers, and all manner of birds and wildlife.
    What I loved about Flagstaff. In the winter you could be in snow and in a little while drop off the rim into 75-80 weather.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

The swamps can be scary. It's eat or be eaten there. I lived in South Louisiana when I joined this group but was born in and have returned to Southeast New Mexico. When explaining this area to someone that hasn't been here I tell them that the road to El Paso was established by the Butterfield Stage Coach line and as soon as you leave paved roads you're right back in the Old West. A vehicle breakdown or injury can be life threatening. I enjoy the desert but even for an afternoon jackrabbit hunt I take lots of water and survival supplies.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I love the desert, but you forgot to mention how everything that grows here will stick you and everything that crawls here will sting you. It is as you say in my blood. But it can be a haphazard if you are unaware of the land. As well as a blessing if you are.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Moderator Emeritus

I spent a lot of time in Utah's west desert growing up and just don't feel right away from sage. I live in a high desert now with less than 10" or annual rain but it is more grass than sand. I never really cared for the Mohave, preferred more vegetation. Both the Sonora and Chihuahua deserts have too many poky things for my taste now.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Wouldn't think of being any where else..

Boolit Master
    One amazing thing about the northern and central Nevada desert is that there is a lot of water everywhere if you know where to look due to the geology. Every tiny creek that may only run for a mile or so has trout in it. Most tourists bypass it thinking it is bleak. When you find that high spot with the 100 mile view, sunrises are God's gift to you. Those sunrises bring tears to my eyes every time. If you want to see more of Nevada, check out - http://alerttahoe.seismo.unr.edu:8080/
    Last edited by quilbilly; 07-15-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    It took me growing up and sending wifey #1 off to torment others to begin to halfway appreciate the ION desert country..All the way from Lakeview,to Wells,NV. memories won't leave me now, at least until I'm supping with Peter,of N.T.fame.. Have photo's of a nice Muley buck my Pard shot while it was kneedeep in Big Springs creek while slipping away from me while is I was still 2-3 twists upstream after an hour long stalk..this was about 1000 yds west of the upper Battle creek bridge on the old stage road from Elko,Nv.to Silver,City,Id..Hung the meat from the old bridge timbers for all day shade,while we "persevered"...Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"